Cathy Howse Products -- Are the Worth the Price?

tryn2growmyhair

I am thinking of buying her creme moisturizer and her Dew. I was just wondering if it was worth the cost of purchasing the products and shipping and handling, before I bought them. I have not been able to find a good moisturizer without mineral oil and I am at the end of my rope. I have a very sensitive scalp that itches all the time -- even if I watch twice a week with hot oil prepoos each time. Today, I used carefree curl gold and my scalp has been itching like crazy. My hair became even more dry than it already was, so I had to load it up with Elasta QP recovery. I am desperate for a solution to this situation. Should I buy Cathy Howse, stay with recovery? I am trying to save money, that's why I want to know if it's worth it.

I am really looking for something that will moisturize my hair without irritating my scalp. Thanks in advance.

zigzag1

Being in the UK I'm not sure about prices but if you look in the hair recipe boards there were threads on how to make your own version of the Dew and UBH conditioner. HTH.

bajanplums1

I used her
* Dew--ok, very light & made my hair kind of stiff, not soft & pliable. I guess good on the ends.
* Conditioner--too much protein for my hair & had a funny smell--like it was old or did not have a good preservative.
* Moisturizer--too greasy and wet for my hair.

I used the dew the most, but I threw the products out because they just did not give me the results I wanted.

lynette

I currently use all three products and they work wonderful on my hair. My hair type I believe is 3/b. In the past I posted my hair type as being 4/b but I was off. Anyway I'm 2inches past brastrap, and I believe by me using her conditioner weekly has helped me maintain length. On the other hand I have a friend that uses her products and it makes her hair kinda hard. Maybe it works differently on peoples hair.

genesis

I have used her products in the past, and just recently started using them again after trying out other products. Here is my review

Dew--Did not like, I won't purchase again. I use S-Curl instead and like it much better.

Moisturizer--I really like this, it makes my hair really soft and leaves a nice silky non-greasy feeling on my strands. I have tried others but ended up coming back to this one.

Deep Conditioner--I like this also, I started using it when my hair was in terrible shape, and it really helped to transform my hair. I rotate this protein treatment weekly with my Aubrey GPB, and it is def. one of my staples.

HTH ;)

Michelle79

The moisturizer is my daily staple. I feel it is worth every penny. I've tried many moisturizers and I have never found one more perfect for my hair than Cathy's. It leaves my hair, soft, shiny & well moisturized.

moneychaser

Heck Yeah... That creme moisturizer is awesome.. When I first tried I was singing its praises high and low.. Its so moisturizing my hands feel SUPA silky after using it :) A little goes a long way too... A comparable product is Dudleys PCA Moisture Retainer it gives almost identical results ;)

moneychaser

mikki727 said:
The moisturizer is my daily staple. I feel it is worth every penny. I've tried many moisturizers and I have never found one more perfect for my hair than Cathy's. It leaves my hair, soft, shiny & well moisturized.
DITTO :grin:

MonaLisa

genesis said:
I have used her products in the past, and just recently started using them again after trying out other products. Here is my review

Dew--Did not like, I won't purchase again. I use S-Curl instead and like it much better.

Moisturizer--I really like this, it makes my hair really soft and leaves a nice silky non-greasy feeling on my strands. I have tried others but ended up coming back to this one.

Deep Conditioner--I like this also, I started using it when my hair was in terrible shape, and it really helped to transform my hair. I rotate this protein treatment weekly with my Aubrey GPB, and it is def. one of my staples.

HTH ;)

At the beginning of my hair journey, it was Ms. Howse who got me started on the road back to decent looking hair. I used all of her products and they all worked wonderfully on my hair (again, products respond differently on different heads, even if around the same hair type). I met her in person and if I had questions, she emailed me back. I never would've known Aphoghee would work wonders on my head if not for her.

It's just a bit much, with the S&H that caused a hassle for me, and having to wait for product to be shipped.

As I've been on the board, I've learned to use other products that work just as well for me.

I can live without the Dew - although it worked on my head. I've found World of Curls to be just as effective and cheaper.

I don't think there is any other moisturizer on the market comparable with her moisturizer. It does what it claims. I have grown fond of Surge Woojee Cream and it works for me. But if the UBH Moisturizer was readily accessible, I would be buying that more often. I still plan on purchasing though to alternate with.

I keep reading commentary on how the UBH conditioner makes folks hair hard...ummm..it states that on the bottle that it will do that. It's a protein conditioner. It's not a hard core protein like Aphoghee...but it's stronger than GPB. It even states on the bottle - to follow up with something moisturizing. If that was done, then one would reap the benefits of this product. It most certainly brought my hair back when it was damaged and I was just starting out.

I love my Mane and Tail for my protein, I'm also going to keep implementing the UBH one, because there is nothing like the tingle of her conditioner and its strengthening properties. I feel the conditioner is worth it. I'm lazy, I don't feel like mixing up a concoction, I just wanna buy it. That's just me.

tryn2growmyhair

Thanks to all of you for the responses I've gotten so far :grin: . Some of you have me tempted to try it. At least the moisturizer. I have found that the mane and tail works pretty well for me and I use that with the homemade Cathy Howse conditioner, so I think that I will continue to use that. I just love the fact that her stuff does not contain mineral oil, that's the main reason why I wanted to buy it.

Thanks also for the substitutes that you all mentioned. Are there any other substitutes that you would recommend for her products? I already have the homemade Howse conditioner, but I am wondering about the Dew and the Moisturizer -- I don't want to make my own Dew.

babybemine

I love CH's conditioner! It has made a huge difference in my hair. I've been using it for about a year now and my hair feels so much fuller, mainly because so many of the short hairs are now growing and are stronger. Before they would look just like baby hair - extremely short, thin and fine. It does make my hair hard but I try to use her moisturiser right after that.

I haven't used her Dew much because I need more oil than it has. I'm not too crazy about the moisturiser because I feel my hair needs more oil than it has. I also noticed that when I use moisturisers with water, I see a lot of really tiny short hairs in my hand, and some long ones.

My hair does really well with Vitamin E oil - the thick, hardly moving kind. I don't know but I noticed a retained a lot of hair using it. By the way I'm natural.

So yes I definitely think her conditioner is worth the price!

HTH!!

prettygrl

I like the moisturizer and the deep conditioner. I think these products are worth the price.
I did not care for the dew.

moneychaser

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks also for the substitutes that you all mentioned. Are there any other substitutes that you would recommend for her products? I already have the homemade Howse conditioner, but I am wondering about the Dew and the Moisturizer -- I don't want to make my own Dew.
When I first joined the board I swear I tried every moisturizer on the market :lol: and Dudleys PCA Moisture Retainer IS very comparable to her moisturizer :) just thinner/wetter
Luckily a salon about 15 minutes from me sells all of her products :D , if I had to pay that shipping I would settle with the Dudleys Moisturizer...
The Dew sucks, its like franganced water in a spray bottle :lachen:

Last edited:

Dandy112

Dana03 said:
When I first joined the board I swear I tried every moisturizer on the market :lol: and Dudleys PCA Moisture Retainer IS very comparable to her moisturizer :) Almost identical
Luckily a salon about 15 minutes from me sells all of her products :D , if I had to pay that shipping I would settle with the Dudleys Moisturizer...
DITTO!!! I just purchase the Dudleys PCA moisture retainer for now. I have never tried her conditioner though. I may in the future ;)

tryn2growmyhair

Dana03 said:
When I first joined the board I swear I tried every moisturizer on the market :lol: and Dudleys PCA Moisture Retainer IS very comparable to her moisturizer :) just thinner/wetter

Thanks so much, I might try Dudley's PCA. I am desperate at this point for a good moisturizer without mineral oil -- does it contain mineral oil? Glycerin and mineral oil make my scalp itch.

Dandy112

Here is the Dudleys PCA Moisture Retainer ingredients:

Deionized Water, Propylene Glycol, Glycerine, Petrolatum, Glyceryl Stearate, Emulsifying Wax N.F., Sodium PCA, Lanolin Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Panthenol, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Biotin

Aerie17

I use the Creme Moisturizer and it does a decent job.

I mix the UBH Deep Conditioner with GPB and will not be without this mix. Together, they do the very best job of condtioning my hair and I usually use this weekly. I was so impressed with both that I buy the biggest sizes I can find.

I liked Dew, but thought it just cost too much for what it is. I am now using a homemade mixture...can't for the life of me tell you what it is. Too bad, too, because it works just fine. Now I will have to guess at what I put in it in order to re-create it when I run out. I know that I started with distilled water, added a few drops of Humecto, a few drops of Kemi Oyl, a spritz of S-Curl. This gave me most of the ingredients listed on the Dew bottle. If you play around, you can get something that works pretty much the same as Dew.

shoelover1972

Dana03 said:

:lol:

The Dew worked for me but my sister hated it (we have the same hair type). It was not worth me purchasing this as the shipping cost to the UK was more than the product. I make my own concoction of distilled water, a little olive oil, S-curl, drops of lavender, rosemary & peppermint oil.

The conditioner made my hair too dry but I was probably using incorrectly. I loved the smell though & I loved the way it made my scalp feel.

Dare~to~Dream

When I started my hair care journey {almost a year ago}, I used all three of Cathy's products. Now, her conditioner is the only thing I use. My *natural* hair is soft, fine AND thin but I've never had the hard hair experience because I ALWAYS follow up with an extremely moisturizing conditioner. The conditioner has helped my hair progress. I also learned about Aphogee from her website and I normally do a treatment every six weeks. The Creme moisturizer was GREAT but like you the cost and the shipping is something I didn't want to deal with so I use other alternatives. I use BB Oil Moisturizer with Castor Oil and Aloe {a long shot from Cathy's but it works for me}. I make my own spray too...but it does contain a little glycerin, oil, and distilled water. I have not tried to find an alternative to the conditioner so I still purchase that. I feel like if I buy all of the ingredients to make the homemade version I might as well just buy it from her. Works great, once I have more money to spend I will use the creme moisturizer again.

Lindy

I like Cathy Howse's UBH Moisturizer a lot, but I've found that Profectiv Breakfree works just as well on my hair, and it's a lot cheaper!! ;)

I HATE the Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer... it does absolutely nothing... to me it feels like I'm smoothing body lotion on my hair...:crazy:

BTW, I have an almost full bottle of it... if anyone has anything good to trade me for it, let me know!! ;) I'd love it if someone would take that stuff off my hands!! :laugh:

Falon

Aside from the dew, which does nothing for my hair, I think it's her products are worth the money. I have yet to find another conditioner that works as well and I have tried many. I have been usining shea butter, salerm 21 and olive oil to moisturize my winter dry hair since I ran out of the UBH moinsturizer. I just can't find one that will work as well as her's. I am about to just pay the money and buy a big supply of the moisturizer and conditioner. I might as well, cuz I have wasted enough money on subsititutes that end up sitting in my cart half wasted.

tryn2growmyhair

You guys have convinced me to buy a larger size of the moisturizer than I thought I would. I think that I will also buy the dew and maybe breakdown and get the conditioner. The thing is, I have my mane n tail conditioner that I use for my homemade Cathy Howse conditioner and it works well. Hmm, I think I will try Cathy's and see what happens. I am just afraid that I will like the conditioner if I buy it and become addicted to using it. Maybe I should just stick with the Dew and the Moisturizer. What do you think?

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Now this is interesting. Most ladies like the conditioner and the moisturizer, huh?! But are there cheaper alternatives that give the same results?

HWAY

Ladies, thanks for your reviews. The PJ in me has wanting to try her products for a year. I think I'm to order the Dew and moisturing lotion.

tryn2growmyhair

HWAY said:
Ladies, thanks for your reviews. The PJ in me has wanting to try her products for a year. I think I'm to order the Dew and moisturing lotion.

I think that I am going to buy the conditioner and the moisturizer because the Dew costs the same as the conditioner -- I thought it would be cheaper than her conditioner. She is constantly talking about her conditioner and I am dying of curiousity, so I will buy it and see.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Tryingtogrowmyhair- I have a suggestion. You say that your scalp is dry and itchy alot right? My solution to you would be 100% tea tree oil (a few drops) and olive oil mixed in a bottle. Just apply to your scalp before washing your hair. Place a plastic bag over the hair and go about your regular routines in the house, ie, working out or cleaning up. After this, wash your hair. I guarentee your scalp will feel so much better. If you don't want to do this, I also recommend the following scalp moisturizer-

Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil hair treatment with mink oil. Ingredients- Castor, Mink, Almond, Vitamin E, Jojoba, Mineral, Jafflower oils, lanolin, cocoa butter, prophyl paraben, and fragrance.

tryn2growmyhair

LABETT said:
Can some please post a link to her website I would like to check out her products.

http://www.ubhpublications.com/

I printed out the entire questions section. It was over 100 pages! She is very negative, but she makes sense. And the ingredients in her products seemed good. I am sick and tired of manufacturers putting mineral oil and other crap in subpar products and pushing them on us.