How often should one grease their scalp?

lonei

Hi ladies, just wondering how many times a week on average you guys grease your scalp. I like light fluffy hair and I hated when i just washed and blowdryed it(in the past, i strictly roller set now) and had to wiegh it down with grease. So sometimes I would not grease my scalp so that the hair would remain light but then my scalp would get terribly dry. I currently do roller sets and use ORS Olive oil scalp lotion which is fairly lightweight but tends to dry up too quickly. How often do you guys grease your scalp and with what products? <font color="green"> </font>

blue_flower

I never grease my scalp. When I used to it made my dandruff worse. Grease also clogs your hair follicles. I don't know how often you rollerset, but I think your hooded dryer (or whatever heating device you're using) is causing your scalp to feel dry.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">I agree with blue_flower. I used to grease my scalp in the past, and found out that your hair will not grow to the length you want. Because the hair follicles need oxygen and other nutrients, you wouldn't to sufficate them with Vaseline-based hair grease.

My suggestion to you is to use a light oil when your scalp feels dry. You can even make a mixture of EVOO and essential oils, i.e. lavender, peppermint or rosemary. These don't weigh down the hair and clog the scalp. One more thing to take into consideration, I would oil my scalp every other day when the scalp tends to be dry at times. Hope I can help out in any way. Toodles. </font>

Karonica

I do it about once a week, never more than twice. TCB is pretty light, but I'm going back to castor oil. Sometimes I skip a week greasing my hair if I had my hair done at the salon and can't grease underneath the 'do.

Tracy

I don' either. I think it's ok to very infrequently oil your scalp lightly if you must, but think that greasing clogs the pores and inhibits growth.

HOTCHOCOLATE

[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:
Hi ladies, just wondering how many times a week on average you guys grease your scalp. I like light fluffy hair and I hated when i just washed and blowdryed it(in the past, i strictly roller set now) and had to wiegh it down with grease. So sometimes I would not grease my scalp so that the hair would remain light but then my scalp would get terribly dry. I currently do roller sets and use ORS Olive oil scalp lotion which is fairly lightweight but tends to dry up too quickly. How often do you guys grease your scalp and with what products? <font color="green"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it will depend on how often you wash (shampoo/CO) your hair. I grease my scalp once or twice a week with Sulpher 8(yellow).

JenJen2721

If you must use something on your scalp, my recommendation would be jojoba oil, emu or grapeseed oil. Something very natural and 100% pure. Right now, I use a mixture of jojoba and grapeseed with a few drops of rosemary and lavendar essential oils on my scalp about 3x a week...very soothing and I think it increases my growth somewhat.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
If you must use something on your scalp, my recommendation would be jojoba oil, emu or grapeseed oil. Something very natural and 100% pure.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA. If you can't find those easily, try some Hot 6, Wonder 8 or Natural 7.

northernbelle

I apply grease to my scalp once a week, on shampoo day. In the winter, when it is extremely cold, I may apply grease up to twice a week.

northernbelle