Is it ok to wear braids for two years?

cutebajangirl

I wore them for a year non stop and was very happy. I went form short uneven hair to shoulder length hair. I think 2 years would be great.

inthestars

Ok. Thanks. I stopped relaxing 15 months ago and my hair has started driving me nuts. I have curls with patches of wiry straight hair (see below). Did anyone else go through that after they stopped relaxing?

Sade7

I wore braids LITERALLY back to back for a year and a half. When I say "literally" I mean that for a year and a half I would get my braids re-done every 3 months and I wouldn't take the old ones down until the night before I was having them re-done, which was always around 8 AM the next morning. I can say that for a year and a half I NEVER went 24 hours without braids EVER. As for the results.... I started with dry, damaged, breaking, neck length hair..... when I finally stopped wearing braids a year and a half later, my hair was below bra strap (about 1 inch below).

Netta1

sounds like good idea as long as you keep up with your scalp and maintain your braids.

NGC

[ QUOTE ]
Sade7 said:
I wore braids LITERALLY back to back for a year and a half. When I say "literally" I mean that for a year and a half I would get my braids re-done every 3 months and I wouldn't take the old ones down until the night before I was having them re-done, which was always around 8 AM the next morning. I can say that for a year and a half I NEVER went 24 hours without braids EVER. As for the results.... I started with dry, damaged, breaking, neck length hair..... when I finally stopped wearing braids a year and a half later, my hair was below bra strap (about 1 inch below).

[/ QUOTE ]

I did something very similar.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
inthestars said:
Ok. Thanks. I stopped relaxing 15 months ago and my hair has started driving me nuts. I have curls with patches of wiry straight hair (see below). Did anyone else go through that after they stopped relaxing?

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be "scab hair"

inthestars

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:
[ QUOTE ]
inthestars said:

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be "scab hair"

[/ QUOTE ]

It is scab hair. It's driving me crazy!

mermaid

I wore braids for nearly four years straight and was very happy with the result. I wasn't doing it to help my hair grow, I did it because I got sick of taking care of my hair on a day to day to day basis, and since I did them my self, they basically NEVER came out of braids- I would seee that it was time to do it, so I would unwind, and rebraid at the same time. I started with jaw length, and when I decided to take them out and leave them out for a few months, I had bra strap length, without a relaxer or press. Now I wish I took the time to press it out and see how long it really was, as it was I just either air dried or used a regular iron on it.

Lela

i have relaxed hair and its it stops at my shoulders if i wear braids will my hair grow if so what kind of braids should i get micros or twist

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
Can you use synthetic hair to get the same kinds of results? I wouldnt use human hair....also, are they easy to take out yourself? how much do yall usually pay for micros OR individuals or whatever you call them? Do you braid all the way down or do you leave it loose?

Irresistible

I grew my hair out with braids for a couple years while transitioning. i left them in five weeks, a week or two out to condtion.

diamondbezel

I've been wearing my hair in braids for about 12 years nonstop and my hair is none the worse for it.

After an unfortunate incident with a relaxer and a chloride filled swimming pool (thank goodness I now know much more about hair), I was pretty much bald.

Braids helped my hair grow slightly beyond shoulder length in about one year because my ends were protected and moisturized.

Make sure that you seriously condition your hair when you take breaks from the braids however.

Also keep your braids moisturized at all times, especially if you use human hair which tends to absorb moisture from products.

G

I wore braids for 2 1/2 years...I some growth but not much...but that was because of the circumstances of not taking the braids out with care [sometimes I was in a hurry and I shed more hair this way; other times I took the braids out carefully and I wasn't in a rush].

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

I wore braids for a year and 7 months and my hair went from chin length to 20 something inches in that time. I kept them in for 3 months at a time then had them redone. I washed once a week with diluted shampoo, skipped deep conditioning, and then used a leave in daily instead of braid spray. As long as the braids aren't too tight, your hair is healthy to start with and your careful when you take them down, you shouldn't have any problems. I'll be joining you for the next 2 years, I'm gonna keep my hair braided up too.

alliyah4eva203

i had braids for 3 years when i was growing out a previous relaxer. it's partly the reason my hair is so thin now.
i think it's good to take breaks in between doing them.
i'm using braids/weaves to grow my hair again but with breaks of 6-8 weeks in between

Growingitlong

Cat Eyed Cutie YOu are on. I want to braid my hair for a while. I get tired of dealing with it after a while and besides, I think barids are a good protective style and a great whay to 'leave your hair alone'. I am not sure about to years but I shall be braiding up till the end of this year at least. I shall take a deep conditoning break maybe a week each time I take down my braids. But what leave ins do you use on your braids? If it tourns out well I just might go for the two years.

carletta

hey cateye, do you use any kind of oil on your braids?
buy the way I loved your braid pics so much I went the next day and had mine done like yours!

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

I don't use oil, or deep condition as I find it causes too much build up and taking them down is even more of a chore. I use herbal essence, or Infusium 23 after I shampoo and Surge (2x a day) daily. I'm planning to swicth it up every once and a while, singles, cornrows, 2 strand twists...whatever I'm in the mood for. If I get to hot in summer months, I plan to have my hair cornrowed into an updo (no extentions) and sport a phony puff.

dannie

I had my hair braided for 2+ years and it grew from chin to mid back. Unfortunatly I really didn't reatin any length because I didn't know how to care for all that hair. I think, if you're a hair pro, go for it. If not, you might want to consider having it "professionally" cared for after you come out of braids.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
mermaid said:
I wore braids for nearly four years straight and was very happy with the result. I wasn't doing it to help my hair grow, I did it because I got sick of taking care of my hair on a day to day to day basis, and since I did them my self, they basically NEVER came out of braids- I would seee that it was time to do it, so I would unwind, and rebraid at the same time. I started with jaw length, and when I decided to take them out and leave them out for a few months, I had bra strap length, without a relaxer or press. Now I wish I took the time to press it out and see how long it really was, as it was I just either air dried or used a regular iron on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often did you wash your hair when u did this??? What did u use as a moisturizer???

IrisDaVirus

I did an almost two year stretch of wearing braids with extensions (July 1994 to March 1996). I can honestly say my hair thrived during this time. I was fortunate enough to go to two girls who heavily stressed the importance of taking care of your scalp and hairline. I loved both of them because they were very precise with their work. They never pulled my hair too tightly and they made sure their braids were easy to take down. In fact, a style that would take them about six to seven hours to complete would only take me about half that time to take down. I loved that! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW - I always had my braids redone every eight to ten weeks. I used the African Royale Braid Spray everyday and I washed them once a week. When I washed them, I would add some of that African Royale Hot 6 Oil to my scalp and then spray my braids down with braid spray.