Hawaiian Silky Relaxer Review

achangedlife

I tried hawaiian silky's no base mild relaxer the other day and I am so impressed. :yep: I self relax and I'm slow at it, it takes me 25 to 28 minutes to do the whole process so I wanted something that wasn't gonna process too quickly and give me bone straight hair. I was using dark and lovely before and that was mild enough to not over process my hair but my hair still didn't feel healthy. It was shedding and was weak and frizzy, the 2 times I was lucky enough to do it in 20 minutes it ended up being under processed instead so I decided to try Hawaiian silky.

So I based my scalp and seperated my hair in 4 sections as usual, and applied the relaxer with a brush. The label said application time should be 8 minutes, well at 8 minutes I had only applied to 2 1/2 sections of my hair, that's how slow I am, :ohwell: it took me a total of 11 minutes to finish the application. So now I go back to the first section of my hair to smooth it out. At this point with most relaxers you can already feel the hair softening, well not this one, my hair felt just as nappy as it did before so I applied more relaxer to my nape and smoothed it out, as I moved up to the crown though I felt that that area was already breaking down. Same thing with the 2nd and 3rd section. By the time I got to the 4th section it had softened up pretty good and I basically just smoothed it. By the time I was done it had been 25minutes which was the max time for coarse hair (my hair is 4b and resistant to relaxers).

At this point I could tell that my hair was straight but unlike other relaxers my hair wasn't sticking to my head. I was a little worried but it seems straight enough so I washed it out. Even as I washed it I could tell the difference. I didn't get that "hair so sleek it sticks to your head" feeling. But it felt soft and managable.

I airdried my hair and then flat ironed, what a difference. My hair looked straight but was fuller then usual. It didn't have the fresh relaxer look that I was used to but rather that 2-3 week post relaxer look where the hair is still straight but has more body from the newgrowths pushing through. That's usually when I love my hair the most.

I'm loving this relaxer so much that I can't wait for my hair to grow another 6-8 inches so I can cut out the dark and lovely out of my hair.
If my hair was the length I want it to be I would be trimming with each retouch till I was 100% Hawaiian silky.

I also tried this on my daughter after deciding I wasn't gonna relax her hair anymore but I've not liked the way it has been looking lately with the different textures. Her hair is a 3c but dry and frizzy. I was worried that this would make her hair too straight, it was her last chance for relaxing before I gave it up totally. To my suprise her hair came out mainly texlaxed and very thick, she still had a curl pattern when it air dried. I cut off two inches of her hair and I'll be cutting hers as it grows also till she's 100% Hawaiian silky. I'm so happy, I see thick long, healthy hair in both of our futures :yep: :drunk:

Now you know I had to go try their other products after these results, I'll give some quicky reviews.

Shampoo with cammomile: good basic shampoo, cleanse well.

Detangling Conditioner: Love it!! Really does contract the cuticles, leaves
hair smooth, silky, no frizz, does not weigh hair down

Vitamin Leave In: Love it. Hair feels strong after using this, does not
weigh hair down.

Thickening lotion: I'm iffy about this one, seemed like it dried my ends a
little bit when I used it. It's more like a serum than a lotion. I'll have to try it again before I decide

14 in 1 Miracle Worker: you guys are familiar with this one, moisturizes
well, not greasy, leaves hair soft. I've only tried it on dry hair so far
Moisture Sheen Spray: Leaves my hair feeling a bit coated, there's a
different one with jojoba oil in it, that one may be better

All Looks Cream: This looks like a cross between a gel and a grease. It's
too heavy to use on my hair on a regular bases but it does soften it
up nicely. It'll probably work really well when I rollerset. I use it on my daughter's hair, keeps it moisturized well.

I can't find their rinse out conditioners anywhere except online, I can't wait to try them though.

achangedlife

I forgot to add that my hair feels stronger and is not shedding anymore. I'll keep you guys updated as the weeks go by. It's been a week already. This morning I sprayed the detangler, vitamin treatment, and miracle worker in my hair just to experiment. As I run my hands through my hair now it doesn't feel like I have any products in it at all.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Thanks for the reviews! I've been wanting to try HS relaxer for a while now to see how my hair responds to lithium hydroxide. Did you use the no-base lye or no-lye?

achangedlife

Thanks for the reviews! I've been wanting to try HS relaxer for a while now to see how my hair responds to lithium hydroxide. Did you use the no-base lye or no-lye?

I used the no base which is the lye. I wish I could upload pics but I don't have a camera right now.

flowinlocks

:yep: I have always loved HS. It's inexpensive and gets the job done. I use no base lye relaxer in regular strength. I never base my scalp and by the time it finally starts to burn I'm ready to rinse anyway. I always get smooth results. I have use other relaxers in the past that I love equally as well, but for the same results at basically 5 bucks a jar I have no need to switch back.

achangedlife

Ok. It's been 2 wks now and I'm kind of getting the feeling that my hair is more texlaxed than relaxed. My newly relaxed hair has a curl pattern now but it's still soft. Also, my edges require a little more intervention to smooth it down but it's still soft as well. When I put my fingers in my hair my roots feel like a soft afro, it's as thick as when I have weeks of newgrowths, only they are not nappy. On top of that it's making my previously relaxed hair feel as thin as feathers.

I wouldn't mind being texlaxed. I've always wanted texturized hair but I wasn't about to chop my hair off to start over. I love thick, curly hair, and being able to go from straight to curly would be my dream come true. I'm a little nervous though. I wonder how difficult it would be to deal with the 2 textures, how long will I be before I see some length, and will I be able to do sleek rollersets or will it just get poofy? I have butterflies in my stomach but I'm excited at the possiblity of a new journey, if my hair is indeed texlaxed.

I know I can get straighter hair by using the regular relaxer instead of the mild one but I think I'm gonna stick with this and see what the new year brings. I'll keep updating to let you guys know how this relaxer is holding up. Maybe I'm not texlaxed, I don't know, it'll be easier to tell as my hair grow. We'll see.

Off to the texlax threads I go.

achangedlife

Yesterday I did my 3rd retouch with Hawaiian Silky. The last time I touched up at 5 wks cause it just seemed really nappy. I used the mild again and let it stay in longer. I set my timer for 30 minutes but almost went 40 (my kids were distracting me). It got straighter this time but it still had a curl pattern to it.

Yesterday I decided to use the regular strength so I wouldn't have to leave it in that long. I was able to do it in 25 minutes (the kids were asleep :). Again I got it straight enough and still had a curl pattern. I think this relaxer is trully a keeper. I have enough Hawaiian Silky hair now to do a true comparison with my Dark and Lovely hair. My Hawaiin Silky hair is definitley thicker, stronger and healthier. My Hawaiian Silky hair looks like loose newgrowths while my ends are pin straight and see through. This time I relaxed at 6wks but that was mainly because I've been taking MSM and had enough newgrowths to do so.

poookie

great review. i loved hawaiian silky back when i relaxed. i used regular strength. i loved HS better than ORS, mizani, and all other brands.

Hairsofab

OP if you are still around did you use the HS no base no lye relaxer? The one with lithium hydroxide? Thanks for your review.

I am thinking about texlaxing with HS mild no base/nolye.

Brittanie87

I used the HS mild no base two weeks ago to texlax. I applied it and let it process for 8 minutes and I really like the results. I had been using regular before but wanted to keep more texture.

Hairsofab

^^
Thanks for posting that picture. I do want to keep quite a bit of texture. I just want to loosen my natural hair some. I'm going to do a strand test to see how long I should keep it on.

Did you smooth the relaxer?

Brittanie87

^^
Thanks for posting that picture. I do want to keep quite a bit of texture. I just want to loosen my natural hair some. I'm going to do a strand test to see how long I should keep it on.

Did you smooth the relaxer?

No, I didn't smooth it. When I was using the regular I would smooth it and it still came out with a wave pattern. I think I'll stick to the mild though. I plan on keeping HS as my relaxer since my hair has been doing better with it than it was with the no lye. I didn't have to add any conditioner or oil in it to slow it down by the way.

achangedlife

OP if you are still around did you use the HS no base no lye relaxer? The one with lithium hydroxide? Thanks for your review.

Sorry to be so late with an answer. Yes I use the no base lye relaxer. It has sodium hydroxide. I've since switched to the regular cause I wanted my hair a little straighter. I still have a curl pattern though. I don't add anything to the relaxer to slow it down, and I do smooth and I use up the whole 25 minutes given in the guideline. With all that it still doesn't relax bone straight and it leaves my hair thick. I Love This Relaxer.

achangedlife

Sorry to be so late with an answer. I use the no base lye relaxer. I've since switched to regular cause I wanted my hair a little straighter. I don't use anything to slow the relaxer down either. I do smooth it and I use the whole 25 minutes given in the guidelines. All that and my hair still does not come out bone straight, and it's thick.