Does conditioner clean your hair? (Or, why no shampoo?)

Glib Gurl

I notice that some people only use shampoo very infrequently, but they wash (well, co-wash) quite a bit. Maybe this is an ignorant question, but does conditioner clean your hair as well as moisturize it? If not, wouldn't you get a lot of build up from not shampooing?

Confused,

Glib

Isis

I only tried conditioner washing once and it did not agree with my hair. I'm not sure why but my hair looked dull and did seem to have a build-up.

Many of the ladies here say their hair thrives on conditioner washes so maybe it depends on the conditioner and/or technique. On another hair board, many have and continue to do "water only" washes and it seems to work for them.

thefineprint

no i don't believe that conditioning completely cleans your hair...most people frequently condition wash because of the non-stripping conditioning properties - it keeps their hair from being stripped of oils and retains moisture. i used to condition everyday and shampoo about once a week. my hair was so strong, shiney and healthy when i did this regularly

Proudpiscean

I believe conditioner can cleanse the hair, but I still like to clarify with poo at least once a month to get rid of buildup.

Sweet_Ambrosia

Some conditioners contain cleansing agents that can effectively clean the hair and scalp, not as squeaky clean as shampoo, but clean nonetheless. I've been co-washing since '05, I love co-washing it works for my hair. I do clarify (shampoo) about once a month though, not a big fan of it! When it comes to co-washing it’s about products and most of all technique. Some people just apply the conditioner to their hair and rinse it out within a minute’s time, that’s not going to work. I apply my conditioner to my hair and work it in just as if I was using shampoo, I let it set in for a few minutes then I thoroughly rinse it out, my hair and scalp comes out clean, refreshed and moisturized. :yep:

prospurr4

I wash my hair once per week, alternating co-washing one week, and shampoo-washing the next week. So I use shampoo every two weeks, mainly to remove buildup. My hair does very well with this method.

ETA: When I do use shampoo, I dilute it with water then pour it over my hair, to prevent stripping.

Last edited:

sareca

Conditioners have secondary surfactants (or detergents). Shampoos have primary surfactants which are a lot stronger. My hair hates shampoo. Conditioner works just fine esp since I use it so often.

Last edited:

IMFOCSD

Hi

I co-wash daily and my hair loves it. I don't do it for cleansing purposes, I do it to replenish moisture to my hair. I use cheap conditioners like vo5, suave and white rain and I do not experience any build up, but I clarify every so often and wash once a week.

naijamerican

When it comes to co-washing it’s about products and most of all technique. Some people just apply the conditioner to their hair and rinse it out within a minute’s time, that’s not going to work. I apply my conditioner to my hair and work it in just as if I was using shampoo, I let it set in for a few minutes then I thoroughly rinse it out, my hair and scalp comes out clean, refreshed and moisturized. :yep:

I totally and completely agree, Sweet_Ambrosia. This is what happened for me, too. I became a regular CW this year. For the past several months I've been doing it (especially all through the summer) and I love it. For me, I found that the type of conditioner I used had profound effects on having a cleaner hair and scalp. I might be sensitive to non-organic/natural products, but after much trial and error (and some denial on my part, until I finally did a test last week) I concluded that Elucence is the only conditioner I can use to CW that will have my hair and my scalp feeling the way I wanted to: clean, and moisturized. I feel kind of bad that the others didn't work as well, but what can I say? For some reason the Suave conditioners and other cheaper ones did nothing for me. It saddens my heart and my wallet, but at least I know what works for me. :ohwell:

YUMMY28

for me shampoo irritate my scalp and tangle my hair
i cw one wk then the next wk i wash using 4 tblsp of baking soda mixed with a gallon of water gets my hair pretty clean

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I like co-washing daily but the ladies are right it does build up :perplexed so I started using a little bit of poo' everyday (nickle/quarter size amount) and it's working out beautifully *for me*. :yep: I sleep in a moisturing conditioner every night so my hair hasn't suffered from using poo' on a daily basis. I have been doing this for the past 6 weeks or so. I never need to clarify anymore because I don't allow it to build up in the first place. If I notice any problems on the horizon I'll definitely change my regimen but for the time being if it ain't broke......

Lissamz

Some conditioners contain cleansing agents that can effectively clean the hair and scalp, not as squeaky clean as shampoo, but clean nonetheless. I've been co-washing since '05, I love co-washing it works for my hair. I do clarify (shampoo) about once a month though, not a big fan of it! When it comes to co-washing it’s about products and most of all technique. Some people just apply the conditioner to their hair and rinse it out within a minute’s time, that’s not going to work. I apply my conditioner to my hair and work it in just as if I was using shampoo, I let it set in for a few minutes then I thoroughly rinse it out, my hair and scalp comes out clean, refreshed and moisturized. :yep:

Good technique for co washing...I'm stealing it!!:lick:

netnet26

Personally Co-washes always worked for me, but I do shampoo once a week though and thats when I deep condition. I love Co-washing and I personally think it saved my hair from excessive breakage and tangling when I wash it!!! :yep:

Ult. Goal: WL ( Thick abd Happy)
Staples: ORS Replenishing Packs, Cream of NAture Shampoo, Worlds of Curls Conditioning Spray,V05 Cons, Honey, EVOO, Castor Oil, IC Fantasia Hair Serum/ polisher.

nd Goal

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I co-wash often and my hair seems to like it. My hair and my scalp do feel clean after and my hair feels very moisturised.

Glib Gurl

Thanks for the feedback, ladies! You have definitely given me something to ponder . . . . I'm getting relaxed at the end of this week, so I'm not going to do any washes of any kind . . . but afterwards I will start to incorporate co-washes into my regiment more often.Thanks!

glam-

. I apply my conditioner to my hair and work it in just as if I was using shampoo, I let it set in for a few minutes then I thoroughly rinse it out, my hair and scalp comes out clean, refreshed and moisturized. :yep:

My technique is like this too. I really like it and the non-stripping results. I do use shampoo every week or two and I clarify fairly regularly also to prevent build up.

gymfreak336

Thanks for the feedback, ladies! You have definitely given me something to ponder . . . . I'm getting relaxed at the end of this week, so I'm not going to do any washes of any kind . . . but afterwards I will start to incorporate co-washes into my regiment more often.Thanks!

The cleansing agents in conditioners can work effectivly but since they are secondary, you need to leave the conditioner on longer. Apply conditioner to wet hair and massage in. Wait to rinse it out until the last minute.

sunshinebeautiful

I wash often. To use shampoo every time would completely strip my hair of all of its natural oils. :nono:

I also think that conditioners do have cleansing agents in it. It works fine for me to wash once per week and condition wash in between.

Diya

I wash often. To use shampoo every time would completely strip my hair of all of its natural oils. :nono:

I also think that conditioners do have cleansing agents in it. It works fine for me to wash once per week and condition wash in between.

To avoid this, I shampoo only my roots/scalp. This way, I'm cleansing my roots and getting rid of any product buildup. The residual shampoo that runs-off when I'm rinsing is enough to cleanse the strands. That said, I wash 2x per week and only one of those is with shampoo...and it's a moisturizing shampoo, at that. My hair has not felt dry/stripped since I started washing this way! :grin:

DozenRoses99

I totally and completely agree, Sweet_Ambrosia. This is what happened for me, too. I became a regular CW this year. For the past several months I've been doing it (especially all through the summer) and I love it. For me, I found that the type of conditioner I used had profound effects on having a cleaner hair and scalp. I might be sensitive to non-organic/natural products, but after much trial and error (and some denial on my part, until I finally did a test last week) I concluded that Elucence is the only conditioner I can use to CW that will have my hair and my scalp feeling the way I wanted to: clean, and moisturized. I feel kind of bad that the others didn't work as well, but what can I say? For some reason the Suave conditioners and other cheaper ones did nothing for me. It saddens my heart and my wallet, but at least I know what works for me. :ohwell:

I feel the same way about Elucence. It is the only conditioner which works for my co washes me. It cleans my hair very well, and is very moisturizing. V05 gave me too many tangles. At this point, I'm afraid to try any other conditioners. Eventually, I hope to find a cheaper conditioner that I can pick up in the local stores...

I switched to Co-washing because the sulfates in the shampoos were REALL taking a toll on my scalp. It would leave this white gunky stuff in my scalp no matter HOW much I rinsed. Now I pree-poo for an hour, pour some VO5 Strawberries & Cream on my hair, rub my scalp, add a little water, let it sit for a while, rinse and then DC and rolllerset. I have no more itchies, dry scalp, dandruff, etc and I do not grease, oil my scalp. My scalp use to itch REALLY bad and I use to scratch until my scalp was sore. This has got to be then BEST change in my regimen

DarkVictory

Had the same itchy scalp problem, plus shampoo is harsh on my hair and makes it hard to manage. It was a merry-go-round: shampoo- hair a big old dry tangled mess- use a lot of different product to try to detangle and soften- need shampoo to remove product buildup-tangled up again- it was lather, rinse, repent!

Now I co-wash weekly and have a minimal-product regimen so I feel I don't need to clarify often. I shampoo only after I visit a smoky bar or something like that.

Last edited: