How do you get relaxed hair curly?

Missi

Is there a way I can get my relaxed hair curly. Not wavey if I was to use rollers but the curly like Tracee Ellis Ross, or Garcelle (Fancy: Jamie Foxx Show). You know natural looking curls....if anyone has their own secret formula or know any products that curl....I would love any and all suggestions? I tried Tress Tranzitions by Lottabody but its only for natural hair....I would like curls similar to mya's and maybe or the lottabody model

Isis

Is your hair relaxed straight?

Amla powder made into a paste and applied to the hair gives it curl. There is a thread here about it. Some of those using henna (especially naturals) are using amla powder to get their texture and curl back.

For the styles you want, you may need to do something else along with the amla paste. Perhaps a twistout or braidout...

alexstin

WillyGWifey said:
Is there a way I can get my relaxed hair curly. Not wavey if I was to use rollers but the curly like Tracee Ellis Ross, or Garcelle (Fancy: Jamie Foxx Show). You know natural looking curls....if anyone has their own secret formula or know any products that curl....I would love any and all suggestions? I tried Tress Tranzitions by Lottabody but its only for natural hair....I would like curls similar to mya's and maybe or the lottabody model

I would say a braid out or twist out if you're going for the look you posted.:)

KiniKakes

Or you could opt for a straw set, if you have the patience to sit through all that......... to me, thats the closest way to give 4a/b hair the look of natural curls. To me, braid-outs look very pretty and all..... but that's more of a wavy look than curly. :) HTH.

InnerSoul

co-signing what every one else said.

-twist/braid outs... which work well for me when I am just tired of the usual rollersets.

or

-try small perm rods for that tighter curl.

Missi

KiniKakes said:
Or you could opt for a straw set, if you have the patience to sit through all that......... to me, thats the closest way to give 4a/b hair the look of natural curls. To me, braid-outs look very pretty and all..... but that's more of a wavy look than curly. :) HTH.

i agree...i wasn't really lookin to do braidouts to get those curls. What is a straw set?

glamazon386

If your hair is relaxed bone straight then no product is going to make it curl up. You can try a twist/braid out or a rod/straw set to acheive the same look though. A straw set is when your hair is set on straws or really small rods.

thiccknlong

I don't know if this works for everyone, I know it works for my hair.

My hair always have dried with a little curly. Now that I texlax, it's very curly, So mine is curlier since I don't relax bone straight.

And let me say that pic of Mya is sooooo pretty. She looks like a GODDESS !

ThickHair

You can try a straw set, but since you do have relaxed hair it is not going to look natural like you want it to look natural. KWIM

KiniKakes

bmoreflyygirl said:
A straw set is when your hair is set on straws or really small rods.

Right! I believe straws are the best way to get the smallest/tightest little curl. Most rods start a tad bigger. So while straws will definitely take the longest to set the entire head and of course to dry (esp. if your hair is long), it really is the best way to achieve the look you are going for. I think straw sets are the closest way to achieve a look of naturally curly hair. It looks esp. nice after a few days, when it falls some.

I googled Straw Set on line and found this pic:

I would love to get one myself, but i dont know any salon who would have the patience to do my entire head, without charging me an arm and a leg. Besides, i dont know if i have the patience to sit that long and wait. Very pretty though.... maybe one day over the rainbow. :)

Arcadian

When my hair was shorter I used Pillow Rollers. Those always seem to get my hair super curly. I no longer can use them successfully now my hair is longer though.

-A

cneal

willygwifey...what works on some, might not work on others. i'm about to pm you back now....

ThickHair said:
You can try a straw set, but since you do have relaxed hair it is not going to look natural like you want it to look natural. KWIM

it can look almost natural if you use proucts that give soft curls and you separate the curls and play with it a little bit

Missi

Arcadian said:
When my hair was shorter I used Pillow Rollers. Those always seem to get my hair super curly. I no longer can use them successfully now my hair is longer though.

-A

I have the same rollers....maybe I'll put the back in my hair when I blow the dust off:)

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Okay, I know I'm always talkin about bantu knots, but I love them :) Although my hair doesn't look like the look you're going for, they DO give me natural looking curls and I'm a relaxed 4a (I think!) Whenever I go out, people I know are always saying "Oh, I didn't know your hair was curly!"!!! I put my hair in 6 bantu's and let them airdry overnight. Oh, my hair is SL.