THE OFFICIAL HAIR HOW TO...REVISITED.

FeelinIt

Okay ladies, this may have already been posted before but I have been searching the web for written and visual hair how to's and I have found a couple. In an effort to do a better roller set, I found this powerpoint presentation:

http://www.texastandi.unt.edu/curriculum/lessons/cosmetology/roller_place/roller_place.pps#256,1, Cosmetology

And for you ladies wanting to do a proper round brush application here's the powerpoint presentation:

http://www.texastandi.unt.edu/curriculum/lessons/cosmetology/round_brush/round_brush.pps

More later...

Mestiza

FeelinIt said:
I got the presentations from this website:

http://www.texastandi.unt.edu/curriculum/indexcosm.htm

Now can someone show me how to do a doobie wrap? Thanks!
OMG! I could kiss you for posting this. :kiss: A while ago, I was up late surfing the web, came across that site and bookmarked it b/c I wasn't able to read it, at that moment (just like, tonight :lol:). Wouldn't you know that the next day, ALL of my bookmarks were gone! I was so mad b/c I couldn't recall the web address, nor how I stumbled upon the site! :mad:

BTW, if I knew how to do a doobie I would tell you. All that I know is that you rollerset the hair and after it's dry, you wrap it. I'm not good at doing, either. :nono:

I really appreciate you posting that site!

Last edited:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
This is great info. Thanks for the links. Does anyone have a how to site for pressing hair? I have an electric hotcomb, maybe the teeth are too wide, the stove comb I own are closer, but I'm scared to use it. I know its supposed the be the back of the iron that does the work, but I dont think I'm holding it correctly.

FeelinIt

RabiaElaine said:
Thanks ofr posting...really good info!!
bumpin for that press n curl.

And ladies don't be shy

Post your how to's on here. We all need to know how to do our own hair!

planodiva

Now I know somebody is the doobie wrap queen. Mine always comes out a big poofy mess. I need some tips.

Bumping for more responses

FeelinIt

planodiva said:
Now I know somebody is the doobie wrap queen. Mine always comes out a big poofy mess. I need some tips.

Bumping for more responses

GIRL! You too?

I set my hair yesterday, wrapped it last night and undid it this morning. Why did it look like I just slept on my hair all night? My ends were a horrible poofy mess. I ended up putting my hair in a pony tail.

I'm going to go looking now...

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Recherché.Beauty said:
aww shucks...I don't have power point on my computer l0l
The pdf for the handout and powerpoing slides has the same info. Also all you need is a powerpoint viewer. Go to microsoft.com and you can download it for free. :)

FeelinIt

Enchantmt said:
The pdf for the handout and powerpoing slides has the same info. Also all you need is a powerpoint viewer. Go to microsoft.com and you can download it for free. :)

Good looking out chica!

FeelinIt

I got this from a poster at hairboutique by the name of chanelle #5

ROLLERSETTING PROBLEMS & SOULTIONS:

PROBLEM: Don't know how to rollerset at all.
*Check out Plat's Powerpoint (send her a PM), and see the rollersetting 101 link under "links for us".

PROBLEM: Rollerset is poofy & looks like mowed grass.

*Ends were not lubricated when wet.
Very important that at each section, you put an oil, cream, or butter on the ends. Each and every section. Simply rubbing oil over hands & smoothing over wet hair doesn't do the trick for me.

*Hair was not wet enough while you set it.
The hair must be sopping wet when you put it on the roller. Have a spray bottle w/ water handy to spray any dry sections. Dry hair is just harder to comb and manage.

*Ends were not straight and flat on roller.
If they're not straight wet, they'll be squiggly dry. Make sure the ends are dripping wet so they can cling to the roller, like a gold-digger to a millionare.

*Hair strands themselves were not straight on roller.
Use a fine toothed comb to gently comb through strands at each section so that each and every strand is straight. To keep strands straight, after the roller is stuck to the ends, slightly stretch hair before you roll it down.

*Hair section was wider than the roller.
Sorry, but you can't cut corners like that. The hair that's outside the roller will be very squiggly. If you're tired, make your sections thicker, not wider. Your hair will take longer to dry, but at least it won't be squiggly.

*The roller itself was wobbly.
Wobbly roller = poofy hair. Use 2 clips if you have to.

PROBLEM: Crunchy hair when it dries.

*Too much setting lotion/ mousse.
If your dried hair feels like Pringles chips, lay off the setting lotion a little. If you have to, dilute it with water. I just put a little in my hands and rub it over the hair once.

PROBLEM: Crimps in hair.

*Get rid of the roller covers.
If you must use them, use them in less conspicous areas. You wanna use duckbill clips, or extra-long bob-pins aka roller pins (make sure they have rubber tips).

PROBLEM: Hair too wavy.
*Your rollers are too small. Move up a size. For my 7" hair, I use 1.5" rollers for a bumped look.

PROBLEM: Hair too straight.
*Use smaller rollers.

PROBLEM: Not enough body, or weighed down hair.

*Use less product.
For more body & bounce, concentrate the oil/ butter/ cream on the ends, not the strands. Also, try using setting lotion more sparingly.

*Let the hair dry completely.
Sounds simple but I get impatient sometimes! Truly dry hair will bounce back into shape when roller is taken out. Damp hair just goes flat.

PROBLEM: Finished product looks like a mushroom.

* Don't use the same size rollers all over the head.
Above the ears and at the back, use rollers one size smaller than the rest.

Finally, rollersetting takes practice; I'm still learning. It takes a long time, sometimes over an hour, but you get faster each time. Don't give up hope.