Coconut Garlic Hair Loss/Shedding Remedy!

Stacy TheLady

Can this be a preventative measure as well? I do not have excessive shedding but is it advisable to do this, as part of a regimen of course, to prevent excessive shedding or to aid hair growth?

Sonye93

Can I use castor oil instead of coconut? Or maybe even use both, I usually use castor oil for a pre-poo for its thickening properties, and it has been coming along great. Will it work still?

Stacy TheLady

Can I use castor oil instead of coconut? Or maybe even use both, I usually use castor oil for a pre-poo for its thickening properties, and it has been coming along great. Will it work still?

Well, i just tried this and my hair feels super soft and there was minimal hair in the comb. I used: 3 tsps EVCO, 1 tsp EVOO, 1/2 tsp castor oil, 1 drop peppermint oil and 1 clove garlic.

goodmorningruby

I used to use garlic treatments regularly as a preventative treatment for excessive/unhealthy shedding. I stopped for awhile until recently when I actually was experiencing an excess in shedding. I did a pre-poo with the following:

minced garlic/garlic juice
cinnamon
honey
evoo
coconut oil
wheat germ oil
molasses
moroccan oil hydrating mask
*probably a lot more things than i can remember

I treat pre-poo's as times to use products I am trying to get rid of or experiment with so usually a variety of things goes into them. However, using garlic in them is something I highly recommend, because it works wonders. I will be trying some of the recipes mentioned here.

As a side note, I do own Alter Ego Deep Impac Garlic treatment. I think that's what it's called.

jujubelle

r u sure the garlic smell wont last? last time i did a garlic treatment it took me almost a whole day of clarifying...lol..I must say I didn't have coconut oil the last time. Can this be used if you have a weave in?

Ruby True

Hi Thick& & Fine,
Can I let the mixture "marinate" for a certain amount of time and if so how often should I "refresh" the mixture?

Ms_Twana

r u sure the garlic smell wont last? last time i did a garlic treatment it took me almost a whole day of clarifying...lol..I must say I didn't have coconut oil the last time. Can this be used if you have a weave in?

The smell was gone after I washed and conditioned.

CaliDiamond

Hi Thick& & Fine,
Can I let the mixture "marinate" for a certain amount of time and if so how often should I "refresh" the mixture?

Yes, you can let it marinate in a dark cool place to make it more potent.

As far as using another oil instead of coconut oil, any good carrier oil should work fine. I just use coconut because it is my favorite and I love the way it makes my hair feel.

CaliDiamond

It might be a little difficult to do the treatment if you have a weave in because you might not have complete access to your scalp. Coconut oil is good because it is very viscous (runny) when melted.

If you have super fine hair or if you want to try this on your hair under your weave, I would recommend using a lighter oil like Jojoba or Grapeseed.

CaliDiamond

I am glad to have inspired some creative recipies. Everyone's hair is different and follow what works for you!! Happy growing!

kandigyrl

Garlic and coconut oil is the business.:yep: I warmed my coconut oil up added come finely chopped garlic. Let that sit for a while then applied to scalp and hair. I let this sit on my hair for maybe 1-2 hours (forgot to add essential oil so the smell got pretty strong-but definitely worth it) and pooed/con. Stopped shedding and breakage instantly. :grin:

Fine 4s

First I wanted to eat the stuff. How long before I see results? I'm not sure it worked well for me ...

amwcah

Garlic and coconut oil is the business.:yep: I warmed my coconut oil up added come finely chopped garlic. Let that sit for a while then applied to scalp and hair. I let this sit on my hair for maybe 1-2 hours (forgot to add essential oil so the smell got pretty strong-but definitely worth it) and pooed/con. Stopped shedding and breakage instantly. :grin:

Okay, great! This was going to be my question. Will it work with an EO? I will mix this up today and use it next time I wash.

Krymsonkween

I am still luving this mixture. I use it as a prepoo everytime I wash my hair. After I did the first one I did a aphogee strong protein treamtent n let me tellu I was happy. B4 I had hair everywhere sink, floor all over me it jus blew everywhere. Now I have every minimal shedding at all. I have don 2 protein treatments. I think I had a overload of moisture.

My hair is luving this mixture. I also add the aphogee gloss which makes my hair feel soft and silky. I did add my keratin spray and leave in by aphogee bak to my regi and it has stopped my little breakage i was having.

Happy Growing ladies.

ladybuddafly

I've done this treatment three times and it doesn't work for me. Not sure what I may be doing wrong, if anything, but my hair is still shedding excessively. Maybe I should do a protein treatment first and then try it. I don't know.... It smelled good though. :grin:

LadyLeoSmile

I've been taking copious notes all day! This is yet another thing I will be trying, not only on my hair, i'm gonna pass it on to my Mom and try it on my daughter as well. She has really course dry hair and it sheds like crazy (my daughter that is)

Krymsonkween

I've done this treatment three times and it doesn't work for me. Not sure what I may be doing wrong, if anything, but my hair is still shedding excessively. Maybe I should do a protein treatment first and then try it. I don't know.... It smelled good though. :grin:

That is wat worked 4 me. It did good but my hair did not go to complete decrease until the protien treatment. I actually did 2 protein treatments and the second decreased it alot. Now I hardly have any shedding. Now I have about 5-10 hairs where my hair was everywhere.

ladybuddafly

That is wat worked 4 me. It did good but my hair did not go to complete decrease until the protien treatment. I actually did 2 protein treatments and the second decreased it alot. Now I hardly have any shedding. Now I have about 5-10 hairs where my hair was everywhere.

Ok, you have convinced me that is exactly what I need to do. I'll try a couple of protein treatments and see what results I get.

KiniKakes

I can definitely atest to the wonders of garlic! Garlic oil is what filled my edges back in after the baby! :D

That recipe sounds divine! Thanks for sharing!

CaliDiamond

Your welcome KiniKakes:grin:
Amcwah (sp) I sometimes like to mix rosemary, peppermint, or tea tree oils.

Another thing...If you have REALLY fine hair go easy on the coconut oil or try mixing it with a lighter scalp beneficial oil like jojoba. Everyone's hair responds to certain treatments differently, but coconut oil is indeed a great scalp conditioner even if just for oiling. I have thought of making a garlic infused coconut oil w/rosemary and jasmine oils and oiling my scalp with this mixture. Off to the market!

Last edited:

Ruby True

Thanks T&F

I did the treatment twice so far the second time it was with the aphogee two step. I used garlic and evoo prepoo 25 mins. Even though I had on a cap it kept dripping so I put some of the evoo on my face:lachen: no wonder Im single. I clarified with ORS clarifying shampoo then used aphogee for damaged hair. Then I did the two step and dc with yes to carrots 30 mins. At 13 wks post my hair is strong yet moisturized. It definitely stopped the shedding in its tracks. I only have a few hairs in the comb:grin:

soonergirl

Hey ladies, great info.. I have straight garlic oil that I purchased from iherb, I just applied this to my scalp straight no chaser... My edges were GONE after the baby, I was so devastated and this helped, also nutrine garlic shampoo...Cant afford alter ego either...

happylife

I only wish I tried this idea sooner!

I used pure honey, coconut milk and pureed garlic. I parted my hair and applied it generously from root to tip. I want to assure you it smelled worse than you can imagine, but the results were wonderful. Almost no shedding at all and I am about 2month post I believe.

Thanks for this thread!