Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

JudithO

Hello Ladies,

I thought it would be useful for everyone struggling with their natural hair to come in here and get some support and help. That way, everyone, natural or relaxed, can chime in.

The intent is not to encourage anyone to go natural/go relaxed... Intent is to help you accomplish what YOU want with your hair.

If you have issues you are struggling with.. Please share...

Hair profile? E.g 4B, really fine strands, density..

Reggie and products? E.g wash and DC weekly with X, Y, and Z products

How do you style your hair? E.g I wear it out, or bun etc

What problems do you have with your hair?

lucy

I think this is a wonderful idea. I had created a thread awhile back when I initially bc'd and was struggling and I got so much help from the fantastic ladies here.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hair profile?
4A/B, tight pen spring like coils, fine strands, APL/BSB, high density and major shrinkage

Reggie and products?
Regimen: Wash, condition, and detangle once every 2-4 weeks.
Shampoos: Elasta QP Creme Conditioning, Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Retention
Conditioners: LustraSilk Shea Butter Cholesterol, Mane N Tail, Suave Tropical Coconut
Products for natural styles: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie or Shea Moisture Curl & Style Hair Milk
Products for straightened natural hair: Fantasia ic Heat Protector Serum

How do you style your hair?
I alternate between these styles mainly: twistouts, two strand twists, and flat ironed straight. I really wish I could stick with two-strand twists long term in order to retain length like a lot of ladies I've seen here with a similar hair type as mine (ie. MsLala, Sammie7, LovelyNaps26, and a few more ladies that I cannot think of right now). I really want waist length hair one day.

Horrible matting and tangles when washing and split ends...

However, I believe I have found a solution to my problems. For the matting and tangles, I need to start putting my hair in sections before washing my hair in the shower. I sometimes think I can get away with washing my hair all in one section out of laziness, but if I need to start being more diligent with my hair care. For split ends, I have started using serum instead of grease to flat iron, and I am also combing through and smoothing my ends before flat ironing each section of hair. I'm also more gentle with my hair when blowdrying.

JudithO

Poohbear

Glad you are figuring it out.

About the matting, washing and detangling in sections is d way to go... with my natural hair texture.. i couldnt dare wash it loose. Also, detangling with a conditioner that has great slip is key... nothing in the world ever came close to giovanni's sas when it came to slip and detangling.

Split ends... hmm.. cant help much here... but my fine hair hates hates heat whether natural or relaxed.. i say trim the splits and back off d heat..

If u r trying to get to waist lenght then unfortunately u have to up your ps'ing game... aka.. just remain in twists... took me a long time to accept that the only thing my natural hair likes is twists... no out or straight styles.... goodluck.. hopefully others can chime in... all your conditioners have some protein in them.. can you alternate with a purely moisture dc? As a natural u may not need that much protein.

Poohbear

Poohbear

Glad you are figuring it out.

About the matting, washing and detangling in sections is d way to go... with my natural hair texture.. i couldnt dare wash it loose. Also, detangling with a conditioner that has great slip is key... nothing in the world ever came close to giovanni's sas when it came to slip and detangling.

Split ends... hmm.. cant help much here... but my fine hair hates hates heat whether natural or relaxed.. i say trim the splits and back off d heat..

If u r trying to get to waist lenght then unfortunately u have to up your ps'ing game... aka.. just remain in twists... took me a long time to accept that the only thing my natural hair likes is twists... no out or straight styles.... goodluck.. hopefully others can chime in... all your conditioners have some protein in them.. can you alternate with a purely moisture dc? As a natural u may not need that much protein.
I find that detangling under the water flow from the shower head really helps with detangling...it's just that I need to do it in sections if I want to reduce matting and tangles.

I'm also thinking about just keeping my hair in braided sections throughout the whole wash and condition process, and then do the detangling on one section at a time before I style my hair in twists.

Back in February, I got a trim that got rid of most of the splits. My ends are still holding up pretty well right now. I just hope I can stick with protective styling in order to achieve waist length hair.

As for conditioners, the Lustrasilk cholesterol is almost gone and I've been trying to use up the Mane N Tail and Suave. Do you have any suggestions for a good moisturizing deep conditioner that is not too expensive? The best moisturizing conditioner my hair has experienced so far was the DevaCurl Heaven In Hair Intense Moisture Treatment. The stylist that trimmed my hair used this on my hair and my hair was super moisturized afterwards. But this conditioner is just too expensive.

JudithO

GREAT.. cheap... moisturizing DC...
Shescentit Avocado Conditioner... 8oz for $6, and 16oz for $11..
You can't beat that... and I promise it's worth it. Sucks that you have to pay for shipping though... but even if you pay $5 for shipping - $16 for 16oz of a great conditioner may not be so bad.

For a store bought DC, I hear great things about the Silk elements olive oil DC from sally's.

For a cheapie rinse out, Garnier fructis triple nutrition condish is a really nice no protein conditioner... and has okay slip. If you have no problems with cones, I hear good things about the HE hello hydration... I hear it has great slip but I never tried it.

Remember, don't eliminate protein entirely... I suffered for that... Giovanni SAS is pretty good for a light protein.. u can use moisture DC's twice, and Aphogee 2 minute the 3rd wash.

With your hair texture... I think you should keep it twisted or braided and wash without taking them down... Then take em out individually... apply conditioner, detangle under running water and re-twist/braid.

I find that detangling under the water flow from the shower head really helps with detangling...it's just that I need to do it in sections if I want to reduce matting and tangles.

I'm also thinking about just keeping my hair in braided sections throughout the whole wash and condition process, and then do the detangling on one section at a time before I style my hair in twists.

Back in February, I got a trim that got rid of most of the splits. My ends are still holding up pretty well right now. I just hope I can stick with protective styling in order to achieve waist length hair.

As for conditioners, the Lustrasilk cholesterol is almost gone and I've been trying to use up the Mane N Tail and Suave. Do you have any suggestions for a good moisturizing deep conditioner that is not too expensive? The best moisturizing conditioner my hair has experienced so far was the DevaCurl Heaven In Hair Intense Moisture Treatment. The stylist that trimmed my hair used this on my hair and my hair was super moisturized afterwards. But this conditioner is just too expensive.

sherrimberri

Hair profile? E.g 4B, really fine strands, density..
4a natural normal density & fine strands i think

Reggie and products? E.g wash and DC weekly with X, Y, and Z products
Weekly-prepoo, wash in sections, condition, detangle wide tooth comb under water, add leave in, air dry in 6 big twists. Baggy 5 nights at least, DC every other week on dry hair, rinse, air dry. M & S daily. S & D weekly. Use aphogee 2 min as needed.
KCKT,KCCC,AOHSR,CD SMOOTHIES, ALOE VERA JUICE, EVOO, EVCO, CD HAIR BUTTER

How do you style your hair? E.g I wear it out, or bun etc
I wear a bun 85-90% of the time. I straighten my hair 4-6 times per year. I normally wrap or pin curl to maintain style.

Split ends galore. I recently had about an inch taken off maybe a month ago. Im thinking if going back again this week to remove another .5 inch. I beleive my.splits are being caused by color that i have at the ends of my hair from streaks a couple of years ago. Any tips on preventing split ends?

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
sherrimberri Do you moisturize and seal your ends when you take down your bun? Since your ends are out of the way, wet them with some AJ, then add your hair butter to baby your ends.

ETA: I had to cut my color hair off and maintain at shoulder length for 2 years. My fine strands were ok for the most part, but it seemed like my hair was perpetually dry. :sad: I wasn't as diligent about my protein/moisture balance at that time though, so I would try to salvage my ends if I were you.

Last edited:

JudithO

sherrimberri

Never colored my hair in my life... so I can't say... How many inches of color do you have left? If it's little, it won't hurt at all to let go of all of it... Again, in my experience... Fine natural hair and heat do not go hand in hand...

Calling Nonie for more insight or if she knows any color treated naturals..

sherrimberri

NappyNelle judy4all i do i have to baby my ends. And im guilty of not sealing all the time. I will definetly try the aloe vera juice at my ends and seal to see how it works. Thanks im to chicken to cut all my color because it was streaked so its not even and my hair is layered so i will lose alot of healthy strands as well. I will definetely trim more this year as well.

Last edited:

Nonie

Split ends galore. I recently had about an inch taken off maybe a month ago. Im thinking if going back again this week to remove another .5 inch. I beleive my.splits are being caused by color that i have at the ends of my hair from streaks a couple of years ago. Any tips on preventing split ends?

@sherrimberri

Never colored my hair in my life... so I can't say... How many inches of color do you have left? If it's little, it won't hurt at all to let go of all of it... Again, in my experience... Fine natural hair and heat do not go hand in hand...

Calling @Nonie for more insight or if she knows any color treated naturals..

judy4all, I know nuffin about color, I'm afraid.

sherrimberri, it sounds like your hair may be damaged in the area where you had color. Once the splits are there, there really isn't anyway to fix them but to cut them off. Leaving them behind just gives them time to wreak havoc on the rest of your hair. Your regimen sounds find so clearly you're not doing anything that could be causing splits. Sounds to me like they were already there. Remember splits are not just there when we can see them. They start off small at a scale the naked eye can't see. So there's no telling how long they've been around. Oh and S&D is not a thorough method for removing splits. So you could be anal in that but still leave splits behind. A trim all over is the only way to ensure you get them all. But even that trim has to be cutting above the tear of the split, which is why doing it regularly may be the only way to keep splits from thwarting your progress.

BlackMasterPiece

sherrimberri said:
sherrimberri I colored my natural hair about two years ago and 60% of it is still colored. My tips are to keep the hair stretched and practice heavy sealing on your ends. Don't give them opportunities to knot on each other. When using heat, air on the side of caution, for example try air-drying first then flat ironing instead of blow-drying and flat ironing.

Periodically using aphogee 2-step has really helped reinforce my strands as well.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

FearlessNik

Hair profile? 4b/ cnapp with medium density strands and 60% shrinkage.

Reggie and products? Wash 1-2x per week or whenever my hair needs it. Dr. Bronner's peppermint Castile, HEHH with lots of oil added, HE LTR leave in, EVOO, JO, and avocado oil.

How do you style your hair? Due to having to wear a hard hat I never wear my hair loose. It's usually in some type of braids with extensions. I do leave most of the edge area out as I'm on a 'get my edges back' journey after dealing with bad braiders.

What problems do you have with your hair? Just my edges. But I know what I need to do to get those back.

FearlessNik

Matting in the shower is an easy fix. Definately do it in sections. It is very helpful to have a conditioner with slip. The best way to get slip is to add oil to your conditioner. I put about half a cup- 1 cup of EVOO in my large bottle of HEHH. Once you've finished Detangling one section make sure you twist/ pin it up to keep it out the way.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I wouldn't say I'm struggling.
I'm just 1) really trying to find one staple line that i can use-made a thread about it. I thought i had found it all in the argan oil, but alas, my hair is not a fan of the leave-in. :(
2) SOOOO FRICKING BORED. ugh. i'm tired of my hair right now. don't wanna see it, touch it, moisturize it, comb it. this is dangerous for me because the last two times i was hair bored:
got a bob
shaved the side of my head
so what now?:look:

nisemac

Hair profile?

Mostly 4a with some 3c parts, mostly fine strands with coarser crown, hi density

Reggie and products?

poo-Shea moisture coconut hibiscus or Aphogee moisturizing shampoo
cowash-V05 naturals clarifying conditioner
condition-Aphogee balancing conditioner, L'Oreal curl conditioner
dc-Shea moisture DT Masque, Queen Helene Cholesterol
leave in-Aphogee leave in, or kimmaytube mix
styling-Ecostyler with Argan oil

recent switched from a puff to gelling hair back and wearing a fake puff.

environment is very dry with high pollution. recent got filter for hard water. as it grows, i'm getting more ssks and split ends. loose hair catching on the ssks. SSKs catching SSKs. because of the different textures, i have different types of curl definition and frizz. having difficulty with moisture/protein balance. a bit discouraged with wigs, i can seem to find the right style--i still feel like, if my hair were longer, it would be easier for me to PS.

on coloring....as someone who was dealing with it when i first joined LHCF, cut off the color. especially if the ends feel straw-like. i learned hardwater and color don't mix and the best thing was to just get rid of the colored ends. made a big difference.

JudithO

FearlessNik

Braids with extension may be causing u more harm even though u r leaving out... spraying water on my edges nightly with water and massaging with jbco before i went to bed helped a lot for me ... i struggle with my edges due to horrible relaxers growing up...

JudithO

I'm just 1) really trying to find one staple line that i can use-made a thread about it. I thought i had found it all in the argan oil, but alas, my hair is not a fan of the leave-in. :(
2) SOOOO FRICKING BORED. ugh. i'm tired of my hair right now. don't wanna see it, touch it, moisturize it, comb it. this is dangerous for me because the last two times i was hair bored:
got a bob

Lol.. i know... trying to find all your staples in one brand is indeed an arduous task... .. i tried.. but didnt work... buying and trying stuff is fun imo... im trying to nail down my staples but try different moisturizers or cowashing conditioners... unfortunately i cant help u with u hair.. twist it, braid it, or do a 360 on it... lol

JudithO

nisemac so sorry u r struggling... i dont know if the pollution in ur area negatively affects ur hair but it certainly doesnt do u good...

Ssk's ... you have to ps in twists/braids given ur length... i know u mentioned u cant find a wig.. can u di a full weave? Kinky twists? Using a heavy cream to seal like qhemet's aohc should help tp keep it soft and avoid catching itself..

Split ends.... u have to get a trim.. they are not worth hanging on to...

Protein moisture... easiest way is to alternate your dc's with moisture.. and then protein.. until u learn what ur hair wants...since u wear your hair out, mosture dc frequently like 2-3 times a week...

Hopefully others can chime in...

momi

This is exactly the thread I need!

Hair profile? 4A

Reggie and products? co-wash every 3 or so days , Currently using the Aubrey line HSR and GBP (?) protein for DC followed by HSR conditioner for moisture

How do you style your hair? Pretty much wash and go and re-twist at night

When wet my hair is moist, has great curl def, no tangles or anything because I've recently gone through a major cut. HOWEVER, after it dries have mercy, it looks like a dry brillo pad. I usually co-wash, add knot today, and twist with shea butter or bee mine bee curly. It looks great when I leave the house but a few hours later it is dry and definition is GONE.

Help!

JudithO

Calling other naturals Ogoma NappyNelle faithVA Nonie mwedzi Allandra Can y'all come in here and help our natural siters out?... lol... im not even close to a natural hair pro .. help here?? Lol

momi ... it has to be either too much protein or your hair hates your styling products... r u sure your hair likes the HSR and GBP? If yes, then i suggest you dc a couple times using just the HSR to up your moisture..
Bee mine curly dries hard in my hair (not crunchy, but not soft) so i wont use it for a twistout if soft is what im looking for... qhemet aohc should give u a nice twistout n keep it soft if u use sparingly... ive never had anyluck with anything by shea moisture.. so not sure....

So yeah... more moisture, less protein, check ur styling products....

Eisani

Hair profile? 3c/4a, fine, dense strands, past WL (not sure where, but tailbone I think), major shrinkage

Reggie and products? Winter: wash/dc weekly mainly w/protein conditioners. Spring/summer: cowash 3+ times a week, poo/dc once a week. PJ here, so products vary...no brand loyalty per se.

How do you style your hair? high/low/side buns, wash n gos, sometimes twist outs.

What problems do you have with your hair? if I could get my twists to look like anything, I'd wear the out. My hair is fine at the root, then gets fuller so the twists themselves are pretty, I just hate how the look at the top. Idk if I'm making the sections too big, but when I don't, because I have some 2c/3a sections, the twists look malnourished andd wimpy.

JudithO

@Eisani How dare you ask for help with your WL hair?? lol... jk

Just braid the base of the twist ( start your twists with braids at the root) using a light gel, creamy leave in, or styler .. you'll be fine.. :)

Smaller sections will hide the fuzziness too... Scarf when you are done twisting so it dries flat...

Last edited:

mslionheart

Horrible matting and tangles when washing and split ends...

However, I believe I have found a solution to my problems. For the matting and tangles, I need to start putting my hair in sections before washing my hair in the shower. I sometimes think I can get away with washing my hair all in one section out of laziness, but if I need to start being more diligent with my hair care.

In addition to sectioning before washing, you might want to try doing a quick detangling session before you wash your hair. Section your hair off while it's dry, take one section down, then use your fingers to gently pull the hair apart looking for any shed hairs, knots, tangles etc. If you like, you can use a little oil, cream, etc. to help manipulate the hair. I've found that if I hop in the shower and start washing my hair without removing at least some of the shed hairs and tangles, those very same hairs and tangles just end up getting "stuck" and it takes more work to get them out.

Poohbear

In addition to sectioning before washing, you might want to try doing a quick detangling session before you wash your hair. Section your hair off while it's dry, take one section down, then use your fingers to gently pull the hair apart looking for any shed hairs, knots, tangles etc. If you like, you can use a little oil, cream, etc. to help manipulate the hair. I've found that if I hop in the shower and start washing my hair without removing at least some of the shed hairs and tangles, those very same hairs and tangles just end up getting "stuck" and it takes more work to get them out.

Thanks bluehatter for the suggestion.

The reason I mentioned this matting problem was because the last time I washed my hair was Monday, and my hair was flat ironed straight before washing. Since my hair was straight, it was pretty much detangled already and I thought I could get away with washing my hair all together in one section. My hair is also fine stranded and when it's straightened, it's not very thick.

Right now my hair is in twists. I will definitely be doing this the next time I wash my hair after I unravel the twists and put it in sections.

JudithO

Poohbear Since your hair is already in twists, why don't you wash and dc in those twists without unravelling? That's the method i like best actually... After you wash and DC, you can take out the twists individually and retwist

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Hair profile? 4b/ cnapp with medium density strands and 60% shrinkage.

Reggie and products? Wash 1-2x per week or whenever my hair needs it. Dr. Bronner's peppermint Castile, HEHH with lots of oil added, HE LTR leave in, EVOO, JO, and avocado oil.

How do you style your hair? Due to having to wear a hard hat I never wear my hair loose. It's usually in some type of braids with extensions. I do leave most of the edge area out as I'm on a 'get my edges back' journey after dealing with bad braiders.

What problems do you have with your hair? Just my edges. But I know what I need to do to get those back.

FearlessNik I know you are in braided extensions, but I think you made need a more moisturizing conditioner. HEHH is an instant conditioner, not a deep conditioner, and although you've added oils, you may be locking moisture OUT of the strand with continued use. Also, it may be worth it to invest in an instant protein conditioner for balance; yes you need more moisture, but you also want those strands to remain strong despite the weight of the added hair.

Can you / have you made a spritz to refresh your hair? You can use your HEHH, leave in, and JO to make it.

Do you have access to castor oil? Sulfur powder? I'm using both of these to baby my hairline. I hope it works based on the results I see in the Crown & Edges challenge.

got a bob

Rocky91 Why are you so determined to find one brand?! :lol: Chuck the leave in and find another. It is too much work searching for a HG line where everything agrees with your hair IMO. (I don't mean this in a snarky way- but I learned that a HG line just isn't going to happen for me about 5 years ago)

Have you done a rinse before? What about colored clip ins? I would put my hair away so I could 'miss' it and hopefully the passion will return afterwards.

Hair profile?

Mostly 4a with some 3c parts, mostly fine strands with coarser crown, hi density

Reggie and products?

poo-Shea moisture coconut hibiscus or Aphogee moisturizing shampoo
cowash-V05 naturals clarifying conditioner
condition-Aphogee balancing conditioner, L'Oreal curl conditioner
dc-Shea moisture DT Masque, Queen Helene Cholesterol
leave in-Aphogee leave in, or kimmaytube mix
styling-Ecostyler with Argan oil

recent switched from a puff to gelling hair back and wearing a fake puff.

environment is very dry with high pollution. recent got filter for hard water. as it grows, i'm getting more ssks and split ends. loose hair catching on the ssks. SSKs catching SSKs. because of the different textures, i have different types of curl definition and frizz. having difficulty with moisture/protein balance. a bit discouraged with wigs, i can seem to find the right style--i still feel like, if my hair were longer, it would be easier for me to PS.

on coloring....as someone who was dealing with it when i first joined LHCF, cut off the color. especially if the ends feel straw-like. i learned hardwater and color don't mix and the best thing was to just get rid of the colored ends. made a big difference.

nisemac I don't think your products are very moisturizing at all. I would look through the conditioner threads and try new ones. Also, I think you need a more strengthening protein conditioner than cholesterol; if you alternate your protein and moisture deep conditioners, if will be easier for you to find that balance you are looking for.

Your hair is already dry because of the products, and then with gel added on, your strands are trying to take the water from the gel into the cortex, causing knots. Ditch the Aphogee LI, and use the KT on damp hair; seal your whole strand with a light oil, and then add your gel. Do you have enough length to baby your ends before placing the phony pony?

Lastly, you can baby your hair in other styles without adding weaves or extensions. Do you like twists? Flat twists, Cornrows, etc? It sounds like you need some low manipulation styles to throw into the mix in order to get the results you are looking for.

This is exactly the thread I need!

Hair profile? 4A

Reggie and products? co-wash every 3 or so days , Currently using the Aubrey line HSR and GBP (?) protein for DC followed by HSR conditioner for moisture

How do you style your hair? Pretty much wash and go and re-twist at night

When wet my hair is moist, has great curl def, no tangles or anything because I've recently gone through a major cut. HOWEVER, after it dries have mercy, it looks like a dry brillo pad. I usually co-wash, add knot today, and twist with shea butter or bee mine bee curly. It looks great when I leave the house but a few hours later it is dry and definition is GONE.

Help!

momi You need a stronger gel in order to 'freeze' the wet curls that you like. Have you tried Ecostyler? Also, how often do you clarify? When using the AO brand that often, you will need to clarify for your hair to avoid any possible buildup from those products.

Hair profile? 3c/4a, fine, dense strands, past WL (not sure where, but tailbone I think), major shrinkage

Reggie and products? Winter: wash/dc weekly mainly w/protein conditioners. Spring/summer: cowash 3+ times a week, poo/dc once a week. PJ here, so products vary...no brand loyalty per se.

How do you style your hair? high/low/side buns, wash n gos, sometimes twist outs.

What problems do you have with your hair? if I could get my twists to look like anything, I'd wear the out. My hair is fine at the root, then gets fuller so the twists themselves are pretty, I just hate how the look at the top. Idk if I'm making the sections too big, but when I don't, because I have some 2c/3a sections, the twists look malnourished andd wimpy.

Eisani Do you twist on wet or dry hair? Try to twist on damp hair; it will plump on the top, but not look weird when the rest of the hair starts to plump. Where are your looser sections? I would flat twist those if they were in front.

Poohbear

Poohbear Since your hair is already in twists, why don't you wash and dc in those twists without unravelling? That's the method i like best actually... After you wash and DC, you can take out the twists individually and retwist

judy4all - no way hozay! :nono: I've tried that before and it was a big matted tangled mess! Worse than washing my hair loose. I don't have that silky type 2-3 loosely curled hair.

The next time I wash my hair, my plan is to unravel these twists when dry, applying conditioner, and then putting my hair into 4-8 big twists or braids before washing. I will leave my hair in these 4-8 big twists/braids during washing and deep conditioning, then unravel the big sections and retwist into smaller sections. ;)