sleeping with bandana

naturallyme

i just wanted to know when you sleep with a bandana on your head at night does it breaks the sides of your hairline out just curious to know if it does or not thanks in advance!!

L

lkg4healthyhair

Not sure what the bandana is made of (cotton I think). I think silk or satin scarf is better. I know bandanas aren't as soft as my pillow case and pillowcases can break off the hair line/hair.

HTH

I read somewhere that bandanas are one of the worst things to tie your head with because they are made of cotton. The cotton absorbs the oils from your hair and makes it very dry. In addition, the constant the drying and friction (when it moves) can lead to breakage. Satin is better.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
SerenityBreeze said:
I read somewhere that bandanas are one of the worst things to tie your head with because they are made of cotton. The cotton absorbs the oils from your hair and makes it very dry. In addition, the constant the drying and friction (when it moves) can lead to breakage. Satin is better.
In total agreement!!! :yep:

naturallyme

thanks for responding!! i sleep with a cotton bandana so i guess im going to have to buy me a satin bandana. does anyone knows if they sell satin bandanas at wal-mart or anywhere else?

Chromia

I have a silk scarf that I bought on tenderheaded.com. Even with shipping it was less expensive than scarves that I saw in stores. I looked for scarves in Target and at a couple of department stores with no luck.

A

anks

A satin scarf is better, that's what I use on my hair and my daughter.

LDebagoria

A silk or satin scarf is much better. But I sometimes use a satin sleep bonnet from Sally's when I just want my hair to BREATHE without wrapping it or braiding it up...or when I'm just LAZY! :D

KinksnCurlz

i wear a silk scarf and my edges r fine. I should point out that i 1) don't tie it tightly and 2) pull the scarf down lower on my forehead, almost on the eybrows. Or i use a satin bonnet. Either way, it works for me.

naturallyme

the reason why i used cotton (which i didn't know that it was bad for your hairline) is because i can tie my hair up at night after i had put some gel on my hair so that it can hold my hair down without it messing up. will a satin bandana hold my hair down as good as a cotton one?

Melaninme

T_Banks said:
A satin scarf is better, that's what I use on my hair and my daughter.

This is what I use also. Also, I haven't had any problems with it coming off at night.

LDebagoria

naturallyme said:
the reason why i used cotton (which i didn't know that it was bad for your hairline) is because i can tie my hair up at night after i had put some gel on my hair so that it can hold my hair down without it messing up. will a satin bandana hold my hair down as good as a cotton one?

I used to have a problem with the satin scarf not staying on at night, so I would tie the satin one on first, then tie the "anchor" cotton bandana down on top of the satin scarf. :)

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
naturallyme said:
i just wanted to know when you sleep with a bandana on your head at night does it breaks the sides of your hairline out just curious to know if it does or not thanks in advance!!

Several years ago, I would sleep with a cotton bandana and my hair in the back would remain so short. Flash foward to the present and my hair in the back is about the same length as the rest of my hair plus it is becoming the longest part of my hair.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
Naturallyme, I have a satin bandana durag that I sleep with on occasion. Sometimes I also sleep with a silk scarf anchored with a cotton bandana because I don't have a silk or satin pillowcase. You may want to check out any BSS (Beauty Supply Stores) in your area to find a bandana print durag. Your hair will thank you for ever saving it from serious breakage.

naturallyme

Ldeb and babycurls im going to try to do that. champagna thats good your hair grew back. thanks ladies for your comments!

baglady215

naturallyme said:

Yes... I use a satin scarf to flatten my hair and it works fine. I do have the problem of losing my scarf every night so I may try a cotton one on top or a bonnet on top.