Grease without mineral oil or petroleum...

dreamgurl

Is there a such thing? I was scanning several posts where some reviewers said they didn't like grease that contained mineral oil and petroleum. Maybe I haven't looked at the labels correctly because I don't normally purchase grease unless it is the Softee brand for my daughter's hair. But then I thought all grease had mineral oil and petroleum in it.

I like the Softee brand because of the coconut smell and only use it rarely and sparingly. The question is...are there any particular types of grease that don't have petroleum and mineral oil? If so, could you name a few? Thanks

Chinagem

I saw Posner Bergamot or something like that in the Dollar store today that contained neither. It didn't say it was hair grease, but it certainly appeared to be that. Also, Tigerlily bought some stuff that's called "grease" that was all natural and contained neither. HTH.

Kitkat

Some really good hair creams do have mineral oil and petroleum, but you just want to make sure that those items are not the first or second ingredients in the ingredient list. ORS Olive Oil is fantastic, even though mineral oil is the fourth ingredient. On the other hand, I won't go near a cream or grease that lists mineral oil as the first ingredient. I looked at the ingredients for Keracare's hair grease (I don't remember the name) and was surprised that mineral oil was listed first or second. I think the same is true with Mizani's grease also. :)

candibaby

I dont think grease would be grease w/o mineral oil or petrolatum. there might be some out there though..

Angelicus

Africa's Best Tea Tree Gro is a grease without petroleum or mineral oil. Do a search on it for the ingredients. Me and Peachtree liked it very much.

dreamgurl

That's what I thought candibaby...but it seems some people have what they call grease and it contains neither petro or mineral oil.

Some of the creams have mineral oil or petroleum, but also contain water in some instances...but water listed as an ingredient in the product makes my daughter's hair swell, which is okay for some styles, but not when I need to press her hair. For example, her hair does really well with Elasta's Mango Butter when I'm not pressing it and just need her hair to be tamed for that sleek look.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
My favorite is Natural Island Pomade . The ingredients are jojoba oil, coconut oil, aloe oil, beeswax, wheat germ oil, vanilla bean, tangerine extract, carrot oil, I guess the beeswax is what holds it all together... But it melts instantly and doesn't "coat" my hair.

Some others I can recall are Mijara, Earthly Delight Hair Growth Stimulator Pomade, Willie Morrow Hair & Scalp Sheen and the Kids Organics products.

My Natural Island is getting expensive (the store I buy it from sells it for almost $12 now :eek: ). So I want to try the "Sophia's Old Fashioned Hair Grease" from myhoneychild.com that Tigerlily raved about in another thread. :)

Last edited:

HWAY

Liz & Daughters' Pure Vitamin Natural Hair Growth Creme has no mineral oil or petroleum. It's very moisturizing.

Daughter

UK Blak
Organic Root's jojoba oil pomade doesn't have mineral oil IIRC. I use Kemi Shea butter, no petroleum or mineral oil :)

CocoaButterflyy

alot of the "greases" that are petrochemical free (no mineral oil and petroleum) are utilizing natural oils and butters which can give the same effect and more then likely are absorbed into the hair instead of coating the shaft.

Dreamgirl look at where water falls on the ingredient list if its at the top then that means its more in it which means swelling will occur. I like Aveda Universal styling creme it's a thick moisturizer and I mix it with some oil and it does good.

Doo gro anti itch growth oil- has no petroleum or mineral oil
aveda anti humectant hair pomade- the main/base ingrediant is coconut
Black Earth Products... African Oyl and Herbal Strengthener (which is like a grease)

Lines like Carols Daughter and Ebene Naturals have oils and pomades free of petroleum and mineral oil

Peachtree

anky said:
Africa's Best Tea Tree Gro is a grease without petroleum or mineral oil. Do a search on it for the ingredients. Me and Peachtree liked it very much.

Hey Anky :wave:

In addition to "Africa's Best Tea Tree Gro", I've also found another grease that does not contain petroleum or mineral oil...

"Kids Organic Gro Strong", also made by Africa's Best.

Ingredients:
Soybean oil, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, microcrystalline wax, etc...(olive oil, rosemary, ginseng, avocado, horsetail just to name a few other ingredients) :cool:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm also a big fan of Natural Island. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of where to get it in Michigan for the summer. Right now I buy it at my salon in MA for $10.

miracle

ORS Soy Oil & Hollywood Beauty's Castor Oil (grease) are petroleum and mineral oil free.

Last edited:

mkstar826

supersonic
natural oils...coconut oil in particular because it gets soild like "grease" but melts w/ body heat so it's easy to apply to hair and scalp. I mix mine with essential oils and a bit of honey and it's wonderful.

tryn2growmyhair

dreamgurl said:
Is there a such thing? I was scanning several posts where some reviewers said they didn't like grease that contained mineral oil and petroleum. Maybe I haven't looked at the labels correctly because I don't normally purchase grease unless it is the Softee brand for my daughter's hair. But then I thought all grease had mineral oil and petroleum in it.

I like the Softee brand because of the coconut smell and only use it rarely and sparingly. The question is...are there any particular types of grease that don't have petroleum and mineral oil? If so, could you name a few? Thanks
I use coconut oil in place of grease and I find that it's worked well for me. Otherwise, I make my own out of real mango butter or shea butter. If you do a search you will see some recipes in the recipes section. Usually it just involves heating the butter in a double broiler for 30 minutes and then adding some oils. I then put it in the fridge for a while to let it set. It's worked really well for me so far.

tryn2growmyhair

mkstar826 said:
natural oils...coconut oil in particular because it gets soild like "grease" but melts w/ body heat so it's easy to apply to hair and scalp. I mix mine with essential oils and a bit of honey and it's wonderful.
I have thought about putting honey in my products as well. Does this add additional moisture and how do you keep the products from spoiling?