coconut oil

chebaby

i use coconut oil so i know (from what i heard) that unrefined is the best. i have been using spectrum brand. i like it but i want to know what do you think is the best brand to use. lately i have been wanting to try the parachute brand but wanted to know what you guys think.
what are your opinions on different brands?
are they all the same?

Anna9764

Well I use a little parachute mixed with other oils before I use the powders. I think I like Vatika the best, it has coconut, henna, lemon and amla.....Anna

Nonie

I personally don't think there's a "best" brand. I usually just read the labels of the selections at The Vitamin Shoppe and go with the one that tickles my fancy, as long as it is unrefined/organic.

LushLox

Yes as long as you're using the unrefined coconut oil I don't think it matters what brand you use. I put some on my ends last night and they stayed completely nourished all day today. I wouldn't be without it.

Shaley

I use Parachute and Spectrum in the jar.

I like them both, but for some reason the Parachute gives me a lot more shine. So I alternate them according to what my hair needs at the time.

NappturalWomyn

I have been using Jarrow Unrefined Organic Coconut oil. I like it. I use it to seal and for pre-poo (why have I been so behind on that). It works well for me. It doesn't matter what brand you use acutally, it's consistency. You just have to use it on a consistent basis for the results that you want.
I don't mix it with anything. I am in a "stop buying stuff" challenge...

chebaby

i think i will stick with the spectrum. i havent used it by itself in a couple of months but i have been mixing it in my conditioners. well last night and this morning i sealed with it and fell in love all over again. it is back to the creamy form(not quite solid) due to the weather change and i have to tell you i love it.

side note: i leave mine in the bathroom so my dad uses it too. he has type 2 curly and very fine hair. well when he sweats it runs down his face and he couldnt see for 4 days. just makes sure you only use a little so it wont fall when you sweat. he is heavy handed.

chebaby

update. i got a coconut oil from gnc that is unrefined but completly different from my unrefined spectrum. this one is much better. this one smells exactly like coconuts and feels velvety in my hands. its also white. the spectrum is amber colored, does not feel smooth in my hands, and smells like *** crack and baby vomit.

i cant remember the brand but its the only one they had and im sticking with it.

Zawaj

update. i got a coconut oil from gnc that is unrefined but completly different from my unrefined spectrum. this one is much better. this one smells exactly like coconuts and feels velvety in my hands. its also white. the spectrum is amber colored, does not feel smooth in my hands, and smells like *** crack and baby vomit.

i cant remember the brand but its the only one they had and im sticking with it.

:lachen::lachen:

malachi74

I am on my 2nd jar of Nutiva Coconut oil, found at vitamin shoppe. It has a light coconut fragrance and is really soft and creamy feeling in my hands. My hair absorbs it and it kinda tastes pretty good too.

poookie

if you REALLY love sweet coconut, then go for the WOW brand coconut oil. i've used both spectrum and WOW, and WOW has a sweeter, more coconutty smell than the spectrum. spectrum still has a nice coconutty smell, but it's not as powerful as the WOW brand. (both were unrefined virgin coconut oils)

and if you're like me, and you eat coconut oil on your food from time to time, WOW is good for eating with granola, while spectrum is good for using as a butter substitute, and for oil pulling, as the coconut smell isn't as strong.

Irresistible

OMG!!!! :lachen:

what the hizell was wrong with that coconut oil?

poookie

amber colored *** crack coconut oil? sounds like spectrum's refined coconut oil, which has a very strange, non-coconutty smell. i bought it by accident once... used about 1/3 of it, then got frustrated with it one day, and poured it down the toilet at school. it immediately solidified, and that toilet was clogged for a week :grin:

vkb247

I was reading about coconut oil on this site that promotes the use of coconut fat to lose weight and they noted that people who are allergic to coconut should avoid coconut oils that smell coconutty because this indicates that there is more of the coconut fruit in it which I believe is a protein. It makes sense to me that different coconut oils would have different properties and be better or worse for some people's hair.

Eisani

I use the same kind as Malachi74 (Nutiva) and love it. I have no desire to even bother with trying another brand. The smell is nice and light and I like the consistency.

chebaby

the brand i use is called emerald laboratories.

poookie i ordered my spectrum off line. i will check when i get home to see if they sent me refined by mistake. its almost gone anyway but the emerald is a keeper. its not even the smell that makes it a keeper but the fact that it feels so creamy and smooth that i like.

chebaby

yes ladies. if you havent tried cocnut oil yet you sho nuff besta get a move on it. its the best oil. just make sure its unrefined.

chebaby

ok lately i have been having really weird dreams every night and i dont know why. well last night i had a dream that i was in my aunts house and i was doing some things i shouldnt have been doing but everything was ok because i stumbled across a whole stash of little and big bottles of parachute coconut oil. i just kept thinking "well when i make a dash for it i gotta get atleast three bottles".

LadyKaypnyc

I don't really pay attention to brands, I just get the one thats one sale, as long as it's Organic/Unrefined, I'm good.

BeautifulRoots

Hmm, seems like I need to go jump on the coconut oil bandwagon...I hear about this oil everywhere on the board...I've been sticking close to the castor oil...think I may give the coconut oil a try.

chebaby

^^^ i used to use JBCO and thought it was amazing until i tried coconut oil. you will love it as long as it is unrefined. it will make your hair so soft and you can mix it into your conditioners too. i wonder what will happen if i mix just a pinch into my shampoo.....hmmmmm