VOTE: Did henna loosen your curl pattern?

Did henna loosen your curl pattern???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blueberryd

Hey ladies!
I am considering hendigo-ing my transitioning hair (henna + indigo)..my question is...how many of you noticed a loosening of your curl pattern? I am transitioning and detangling this thick hair is starting to get on my nerves:wallbash:...LOL I would like to loosen my pattern a little bit without texlaxing or heat.. also, did u notice the difference immediately or did it take a few applications?
THANKS GIRLS :kisses:

Last edited:

MsBoinglicious

It did for like one week. But once I did another shampoo/deep conditioner the following week it went right back to its normal thing.

angellike

i'm not natural though my relaxed hair still has texture, but i have noticed that henna as well as other Indian powders make my hair "hang" more once i rinse them out, but this doesn't seen to last

Naturallista

I was worried that it might, but so far my hair is still the same. My hair is very stubborn though....that's why I gave up on relaxers long ago- they never straightened my hair!

Hopefully, it will work for you, though.

Last edited:

mscocoface

Only for a hot minute. But I am a 4 cdefg. I have seen other ladies say theirs loosened considerably but their texture was more in the 2-3 category.

Enyo

It weighs my hair down for like a week, then it's back up to where it normally is.

Last edited:

Aggie

Henna did loosen my curls a little. In fact, I thought it had loosened it a lot but after stretching my relaxer for so long now (over 14 months) and kept away from the henna treatments for over 4 months, I noticed that the loosened texture was still in my hair, from root to the demarcation line. I could only draw one conclusion as a result. Maybe my hair is a 4a texture instead of 4b as I originally thought, hmmm.

Enyo

Also, I wanted to add that half-permed hair is the devil. It might be that it's your permed ends causing all that mess on your natural hair. I transitioned with a press and curl and I remember the less perm I had on my hair, the less tangles I had. I'd be willing to wager there isn't anything wrong with your texture. The limp perm ends are probably wreaking havoc on your stronger and more coiled natural roots. They look harmless, don't they?

lwilliams1922

I did henna last summer. I was having a hard time with my 4a hair. I think it could have loosened the curl pattern a bit but I would describe it has making my hair easier to deal with, if that makes sense.

I am just going back to doing henna treatments. This timeI have a bit more experience AND I found WEN. The WEN DOES WONDERS. I only wish I found it when I was first transitioning.

NaturalPath

Henna loosened up my natural texture but I definitely saw results regarding strength and weight. I havent hennaed in 6 months and I am trying to see if I want to return to it.

It usually takes me about a month for the texture to return via deep conditioning and protein treatments.

My hair type is a 3b/3c

Mahalialee4

Seeing what henna and indigo does to my hair, I would be skeered to do a tex-lax or relax.
And it does not revert either.

BellaLunie

Like the other ladies it loosened up my hair after a few applications and it went back to being the same. Maybe it's the brand of henna people use?

Jenn22588

Henna did not effect my curl pattern except for the one time I didn't wash it out all the way. It wasn't a really noticeable difference once it was dry all the way though.

blueberryd

Also, I wanted to add that half-permed hair is the devil. It might be that it's your permed ends causing all that mess on your natural hair. I transitioned with a press and curl and I remember the less perm I had on my hair, the less tangles I had. I'd be willing to wager there isn't anything wrong with your texture. The limp perm ends are probably wreaking havoc on your stronger and more coiled natural roots. They look harmless, don't they?

you are making soooo much sense right now :yep:...i'm just sooo scared to do the big chop---I am almost to that point tho... thanks for the advice :drunk:

discodumpling

Yes henna lossened my kinks gradually HOWEVER not in a good way! I spent almost a yr using henna before really noticing the difference between my hennaed hair & new growth...it was a bit too relaxer like for me. I spent an entire yr trimming the henna away.

carib_n_curly

when i henna'd it loosen my texture a bit and made it feel very strong

my hair went back to normal after a few washes

my hair texture is 3c

ChristmasCarol

Hey blueberry, Glad to see you're still transitioning! Don't have any advice about henna (never used, scurred), but, I used yogurt as a natural relaxer for my DD, and it really worked. Well, not like a chemical relaxer, but it was easier to comb through. Lucky's Mom always has good recipes.

You and I are both nearly a year into transition, so I can feel your pain. I've started to DC several times/wk and it has made the new growth very soft and manageable. I don't know how you feel about cones, but I've found that air-drying in a bun after using a straightening serum really helps, too. HTH

ceebee3

No it didn't loosen my curl pattern. I'm relaxed but I used it on a lot of new growth. It just weighed my hair down and made it heavier.

The henna and indigo really do coat the hair strands giving the illusion of thicker hair.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm Relaxed as well and have Henna'ed close to One Year. Overall, I have not seen a change in my Curl Pattern. :perplexed

I use Body Art Quality (BAQ) Henna for Chemically Treated and African American Hair about every 6-8 Weeks
(depending on how fast my grey's sprout up).:look:

TBS

Yes, overtime. It was as if I was transitioning. It's one of the main reasons, I decided to cut my hair off.

Lola Laughs

The first time I henna'd (applied to full length of hair) my curls loosened a bit, but sprung back in place the next wash. The second application (full length again) left me with about a 2"x2" section of loosened curls. That was a month and many washes ago and it is still loose. :nono:

Lucky's Mom

NO. It did not loosen any texture. If anything - it took me a long time to bring moisture back to my hair. I no longer use Henna. I might do it again - to use indigo... but - I am unsure.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I read later I had henna'd for a while that henna can loosen the curl pattern. It skipped over my hair with that feature.

blueberryd

Hey blueberry, Glad to see you're still transitioning! Don't have any advice about henna (never used, scurred), but, I used yogurt as a natural relaxer for my DD, and it really worked. Well, not like a chemical relaxer, but it was easier to comb through. Lucky's Mom always has good recipes.

You and I are both nearly a year into transition, so I can feel your pain. I've started to DC several times/wk and it has made the new growth very soft and manageable. I don't know how you feel about cones, but I've found that air-drying in a bun after using a straightening serum really helps, too. HTH

Thanks sipp100! Glad to see ur still goin strong in ur journey!!! Your siggy/progress looks phenomenal!! :clap:

blueberryd

thanks everyone for the input! :hug2:
i'm gonna go ahead and give henna/indigo a try.
I may try the yogurt treatments weekly and will give aussie moist conditioner a try to help with taming the new growth.

Qurlyqt

Absolutely! No, it was not immediate but over time. I used henna for a year and once I finally accepted that it was affecting my curl pattern, I decided that I'd rather pass. I stopped using henna and unless I decide these pesky grays are worth risking my curls, I will not use henna again. :nono:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Yes. It felt kinda dry too. I didn't like the little bright red hairs on my crown (from my grays LOL).

BTW: I've done AMLA and it made my hair less tangly but the curls were in tact. No change in hair color though.

growingbrown

I voted it loosen my curls immediately. Maybe because I mix it with maka and cassia powder, evoo and make it as a past. I dont use henna alone.