Do you get an itchy scalp after a relaxer?

PreciousPearl

I notice that after every relaxer touch up at the salon I get an extremely itchy scalp. Does anyone know why this happens and what do you suggest that I do to get rid of this problem?

SpiritJunkie

i don't usually but i changed from Affirm (a year using this) to ORS and my scalp is itching. never happened before though. i permed last monday.

would love to hear whats up with that.

RadiantBeauty

When a "stylist" used Affirm Fiberguard Sensitive Scalp Normal on me my scalp was itching so badly. It felt like something was crawling on my head.:pullhair: Maybe its the relaxer itself thats causing you to itch so badly. Have you thought of switching your relaxer the next time you get a touch up? Give it a try.:yep:

RadiantBeauty

Also the stylist may have not cleaned their tools properly, for example, combs and brushes, which can also lead to an itchy scalp as well.

MizzBrown

Yes! Extremely itchy. I wash my hair more after a fresh relaxer than i do when stretching.

I cant go any longer than maybe 3-4 days before i have to wash it because it seems the relaxer just strips ALL the oil out my scalp.

I have a post-relaxer reggie because of this.

For about a month or so after a fresh relaxer, i wash more frequently, use a clarifyer AND a Tea Tree/Peppermint conditioner or ACV rinse to calm the itchies and dry scalp along with a good protein treatment on every wash.

PreciousPearl

Thanks ladies for the replies. I don't think it's associated with any particular brand of relaxer, because I have had different relaxers applied and still have an extremely itchy scalp. On my next wash I think I'll try adding tea tree/peppermint to my conditioner and see if that helps.

Kellum

When a "stylist" used Affirm Fiberguard Sensitive Scalp Normal on me my scalp was itching so badly. It felt like something was crawling on my head.:pullhair: Maybe its the relaxer itself thats causing you to itch so badly. Have you thought of switching your relaxer the next time you get a touch up? Give it a try.:yep:

Same for me. It was my first time getting this relaxer. My scalp itched so bad at least for 2 weeks. I just co-washed a lot and that seemed to help.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Sometimes yes but most of the time no. I've found that I itch with certain shampoos too. I LOVE what CON does for my hair but it tears my scalp up. :nono:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
IA With Everyone. I think it is a Combinaton of all those different Chemicals producing alot of different effects. The Relaxer to Relax and the Neutralizing Shampoo to stop the Processing. If you really think about it: Each of them Have to be Really Strong to Do What They Do Sufficiently.:yep:

Therefore, I think it a combination of both of those Products/Chemicals interacting with each other and the different effects each one of them have to perform to get the desired results.:yep:

morehairplease

Hi there,

Do you mind me asking if whether or not this relaxer is lye or no lye?

tia,
tishee

Patricia

I've had itchies all my life. Not cause of a relaxer but dandruff. I've been using tea tree mixed in some grease and it has really stopped the itchies

CAPlush

I found that I stopped having an itchy scalp after a relaxer after I learned how to properly neutralize after I self-relax, started using lye, and not over-processing.

nathansgirl1908

I notice that after every relaxer touch up at the salon I get an extremely itchy scalp. Does anyone know why this happens and what do you suggest that I do to get rid of this problem?
I had the same problem. This is one reason why I decided to go natural. I have scalp issues and relaxers exacerbate the problem. One thing that helped me though was Nioxin's Scalp Recovery Serum. You can put that on your scalp daily and it really helps.