What is the difference between bentonite and rhassoul clay?

meverllyn1

I have both clays, and was wondering what is the difference between the two? I have tried rhassoul on my hair and love it.......it loosen my curls, so you know that i was happy. I didn't know that some clays clarify, so if you would, can you give me all the details on what the benefits are for using both clays on your hair.

Thanks Mev

adw425

All I can tell you is that my hair loves rhassoul clay. It softens it and detangles it and mixed with irish moss and coconut milk and honey in some conditioner, it is a truly awesome combination. So far, bentonite and I am not getting along too well. I have only used it twice and will give it another try or two before my final verdict. When I researched RC about three years ago, it said RC is the clay that will absorb the least amount of oil from the hair. I think the bentonite is absorbing too much oil out of my hair and even with the moisturizing things I add to the treatment, it seems that my hair is drying out a bit too much. I did not use it with coconut milk and irish moss, so I will try that next to see if I have better success with it.

Last edited:

adw425

I got my RC from Mountain Rose Herbs. I really love that stuff. Me and Bentonite are just not suited so I gave it to my good friend who uses it on her face.

lwilliams1922

I was reading some info on clay and found this...
has anyone tried any other clays?

My hair tends to be dry so I wonder if the other clays would work better??

WHICH CLAYS ARE BEST FOR YOUR SKIN TYPE?

Clays that are very gentle in their action and suitable for DRY,SENSITIVE,OR NORMAL skin:
White Kaolin and Rose Clay.

Clays that are very drawing and drying, and suitable for OILY skin:
Bentonite, French Green, and Multani Mitti (Indian Fullers Earth).

Clays that are suitable for ALL skin types:
Dead Sea and Rhassoul Clay.

Clay Facial Mask Recipe--
2-3 oz. Cosmetic Clay
1-2 oz. Powdered Herbs
Water or Hydrosol
1-2 drops Essential Oil added at the time of application
(optional)
Choose a cosmetic clay and herbs that are suitable for your skin type. Citrus peel powders add astringency, rose petal powder adds fragrance, yellow sandalwood powder helps dry skin and neem powder helps acne.
Other ingredients that can be added are milk powders, honey powder, oatmeal and sea vegetables.

vkb247

That's interesting. I have tried only bentonite clay and it wasn't drying for me and I have hair that is very prone to dryness. OP: No clays are proteins.

**Glamourlicious**

I have only used Bentonite and I had no issues at all. It was used as a cleanser. I plan to do it again this weekend. Anyone have a pic of the Rassoul Clay?

lwilliams1922

from what I gather so far the rhasoul looks almost the same.

I received this in response to my questions:

Yes, I use both bentonite and rhassoul as hair conditioners. My hair is fine and rather oily though. The rhassoul or bentonite would work OK for occasional use, but I'd really recommend Kaolin as it is not drying. I have never used clays with coconut milk, sounds good, but coconut OIL would be very good for your dry hair. Here is a good recipe using Kaolin clay:
Coconut oil pack
Ingredients
3 tablespoons of coconut oil
1/2 cup of jojoba oil
4 tablespoons of powdered white clay
1 cup of distilled water
Preparation
Over low heat combine coconut and jojoba oil until they melt and then remove them from heat.
In a separate bowl, combine clay and water until you get a pasty consistency.
Thoroughly combine the oils and clay.
Use a palm-full and apply it on previously dampened and clean hair.
Massage vigorously into scalp.
Use a shower cap or plastic wrap and cover the hair for 15 minutes.
Shampoo and rinse well.

Of course these would work for the other clays as well.

Last edited: