SHOULD I USE SUPER STRENGTH RELAXER?

Nanyanika

I love the way Silk elements regular makes my hair feels however i noticed on my last two touch-ups the hair isn't straight is too wavy, should i use the extra strength formula instead?

MzOptimistic

den1 said:
I love the way Silk elements regular makes my hair feels however i noticed on my last two touch-ups the hair isn't straight is too wavy, should i use the extra strength formula instead?

Okay, you could A) use the regular strength and leave it on for a little longer to get it straighter BUT you don't want to overprocess your hair OR B) you get the extra strength and leave it on for the recommended time and get the straightness and silkness you want:) go with B:p

Last edited:

KiniKakes

Hmmm, I dunno Den..... your hair is so silky and soft. I know you've always called ureself 4a (I think?) but you've always looked more 3c to me. I personally would not use the Super relaxer. I would use the Regular relaxer and keep it on a few minutes longer than normal.

Keen

From experience relaxing my sister's hair with super, it will thin out your strands. I would suggest you use regular strenght but leave it on longer.

jasmin

I used regular SE and left it on longer but I didn't really like doing that. This is why I switched relaxers although I really liked SE.

isioma85

I used the super about 3 weeks ago, it did make my hair feel a lot less full, but after I co-washed my fullness came back a little. I had it on for about 10 minutes, it got bone straight, and no burns. I have very coarse, relaxer resistant hair. I suggest you do a sectional test if you want to go up to the super strength.

PinkAngel

I personally wouldn't use super, I think it may overprocess you & thin your hair out.

Maybe it's the relaxer itself, I recall a few threads about SE not thoroughly processing for some ladies who complained of reversion later on.

nelli711

Den, I wouldn't use super if I were you. Before I knew anything about haircare, I used super relaxers all the time and it caused me lots of breakage and thinned my hair out. If your hair isn't coarse or resistant, stick with the regular:)

shunta

KiniKakes said:
Hmmm, I dunno Den..... your hair is so silky and soft. I know you've always called ureself 4a (I think?) but you've always looked more 3c to me. I personally would not use the Super relaxer. I would use the Regular relaxer and keep it on a few minutes longer than normal.
ITA . I know you keep hearing that, huh?:lol: But yeah girl, I wouldnt use the Super, I would stick with the Regular.:)

dannie

I was using Mizani Super and the ish took my hair out.

If your gonna use Super, I would suggest diluting it with some oil/conditioner, but then again you might as well just buy the regular :ohwell:

So in short...no don't do it!! :lachen: :lachen:

Nanyanika

tsmith said:
Okay, you could A) use the regular strength and leave it on for a little longer to get it straighter BUT you don't want to overprocess your hair OR B) you get the extra strength and leave it on for the recommended time and get the straightness and silkness you want:) go with B:p
I really don't want to overprocess my hair, i love SE results, because it leaves my hair soft, super may cause damage and if i stick to regular my hair may never get straight. i may have to switch to another lye relaxer, what do you think.

Nanyanika

KiniKakes said:
I agree with you, i'm worried about ruining my hair, epecially now since i've got it on track again.

Nanyanika

Keen said:
From experience relaxing my sister's hair with super, it will thin out your strands. I would suggest you use regular strenght but leave it on longer.
Oh no, i don't want thin weak strands at all, i may have to switch relaxer brands, if i can find a regular strength that's a tad bit stronger than SE relaxer then it would be great. I'm going to strech my relaxer for 4 months, so i need something that will get it straight in one go. i can't stand the idea of doing correctives

Nanyanika

jasmin said:
I used regular SE and left it on longer but I didn't really like doing that. This is why I switched relaxers although I really liked SE.
Jasmin may i ask which brand you are using now and what differences have you noticed in the effectiveness of straightening?

Nanyanika

Ariana4000 said:
Super may make your hair start to shed a lot. That happened to me awhile back.
The lat thing i want is to lose my hair...i'll stick with regular but i will change brands

Nanyanika

isioma85 said:
I used the super about 3 weeks ago, it did make my hair feel a lot less full, but after I co-washed my fullness came back a little. I had it on for about 10 minutes, it got bone straight, and no burns. I have very coarse, relaxer resistant hair. I suggest you do a sectional test if you want to go up to the super strength.
my hair isn't too coarse it resistant with medium and thin strands which is very dense, you see o want to keep the thickness and strength in my hair too. If i decide to go ahead with this formula i will take your advice and text a small section first.

Nanyanika

msshic said:
I personally wouldn't use super, I think it may overprocess you & thin your hair out.

Maybe it's the relaxer itself, I recall a few threads about SE not thoroughly processing for some ladies who complained of reversion later on.
This is why i'm considering using a different brand in regular and see how it goes.

Nanyanika

nelli711 said:
Den, I wouldn't use super if I were you. Before I knew anything about haircare, I used super relaxers all the time and it caused me lots of breakage and thinned my hair out. If your hair isn't coarse or resistant, stick with the regular:)
Okay, i'll going to search for a regular lye strength relaxer, wish me luck

Nanyanika

shunta said:
ITA . I know you keep hearing that, huh?:lol: But yeah girl, I wouldnt use the Super, I would stick with the Regular.:)
Thanks ladies, i hope I manage to find the correct one for my hair

Nanyanika

dannie_19 said:
I was using Mizani Super and the ish took my hair out.

If your gonna use Super, I would suggest diluting it with some oil/conditioner, but then again you might as well just buy the regular :ohwell:

So in short...no don't do it!! :lachen: :lachen:
lol I'vbe been warned!!! i won't use super strength. thanks ladies for all your advice, much appeciated.

I personally would shy away from the super. It makes me nervous just thinking about it. I agree with the other ladies who suggest that you use reg for a tad bit longer than normal.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Your hair is so pretty and it looks like it's growing in more thick. Maybe you didn't notice much until you cut the texturized hair off. I'd be happy if I could get my hair as strait as you do.:ohwell:

jasmin

den1 said:
Jasmin may i ask which brand you are using now and what differences have you noticed in the effectiveness of straightening?

I use Barry Fletcher and I really like it. I loved SE but I'm like Barry even better. I went from SE regular to Barry Fletcher sensitive-delicate. It straighten better and in less time. It states 18 minutes for coarse hair but I left it in for 20. When I used SE regular I would go 28 minutes. I felt uncomfortable doing that but I needed those minutes. Barry also has a coarse formula.

So far I'm very happy with it and after I use this second jar I'm planning on getting the tub although the new ORS lye relaxer is looking pretty good.

Nanyanika

DDtexlaxd said:
Your hair is so pretty and it looks like it's growing in more thick. Maybe you didn't notice much until you cut the texturized hair off. I'd be happy if I could get my hair as strait as you do.:ohwell:
Thanks girl, I recently used henna that's probly why it looks thicker

Nanyanika

jasmin said:
I use Barry Fletcher and I really like it. I loved SE but I'm like Barry even better. I went from SE regular to Barry Fletcher sensitive-delicate. It straighten better and in less time. It states 18 minutes for coarse hair but I left it in for 20. When I used SE regular I would go 28 minutes. I felt uncomfortable doing that but I needed those minutes. Barry also has a coarse formula.

So far I'm very happy with it and after I use this second jar I'm planning on getting the tub although the new ORS lye relaxer is looking pretty good.
Thanks for responding!! now i have to decide whether to stick with SE but leave it on longer or switch, there has been so much raving about ors, i may even try the lye version.

MzOptimistic

den1 said:
I really don't want to overprocess my hair, i love SE results, because it leaves my hair soft, super may cause damage and if i stick to regular my hair may never get straight. i may have to switch to another lye relaxer, what do you think.

Yah, you could just switch to another relaxer. I, myself use ORS normal and when I relax with that it leaves my hair kinda wavy so sometimes I buy ORS super and I get no breakage from using super but I have thick 4 a hair and I assumed that you had 4a hair and from your pics your hair looks thick that's the reason why I said super but like you said you can always switch relaxers:p

jasmin

Caramela said:
U don't want your hair straight. That will increase your chances of breakage.

For me personally if I don't relax straight enough my hair will get tangled and knotted.

shunta

Den, what about the SE no-lye version since no-lye would probably leave it straighter. Im thinking of trying the no-lye, too.