Nu-gro Hair Products

janda

I know I have seen previous posts regarding Nu-gro products but nothing came up when I tried to do a search. I've watched the You tube videos and read testimonials on line but want to get the LHCF perspective. :grin: What Nu-gro products are you using? Do they work for increasing hair growth and reducing shedding? Do they smell bad due to the garlic?

JJamiah

I don't use nu-gro for growth. Nor do I believe it does do that. What it does is soften the hair so much it is moisturized. I use Nu-Gro Hair Spray with Moisturizer and I also Use the Grease and the Grease is my favorite :)

janda

Thanks JJamiah. The grease that you like, is that the Hair Grow Oil that comes in a jar? Do you use it on your hair or scalp?

I ask because I have a problem with shedding this time of year (as it gets cold) and it seems that products with garlic as an ingredient might help. I was looking at Alter Ego and Nutrine products but came across Nu-gro which seems to have a high percentage of garlic without lots of chemicals.

So far, I've added a garlic supplement to my regimen and have added garlic to my essential oil mixture for scalp messages so we will see if that helps.

Last edited:

dancinstallion

Does anyone use these products? I have the conditioner and the spray because I loved the ingredients. I really can't say if it did much for my hair so I stopped using it. I still have unopened bottles from when I was trying to support the company because it was black owned.

silenttullip

Let me say I tried it when it was "yopular" popular on yt
The only thing I liked was the deep conditioner.
The spray smelled HORRIBLE to where I had to wash it out of my hair.
The shampoo was unbelievably drying AND I have a really oily scalp
The spray also made me shed like crazy
One girl on yt had a vid showing how it broke her hair off
I'd say use at your own risk
I'm a penny pincher but I trashed all accept the conditioner.
It was kind of like AOHSR I liked it but hated the other stuff so much I'd never buy fro them again
Maybe things have changed by now but I'll never know for myself lol

MrsHouston

The spray also made me shed like crazyOne girl on yt had a vid showing how it broke her hair off
It was kind of like AOHSR I liked it but hated the other stuff so much I'd never buy fro them again

It's interesting how these "growth" aids produce shedding. I'm trying to stop shedding, not increase it.

Coffee

The moisturizing spray really helped me when I had surgery and was unable to relax my hair. It helped to keep it from breaking.

Rain20

I like the conditioner and the spray. It doesn't seem to have anything in it to make hair fall out but everyone is different.

I mix a bit of the spray with a little aloe vera juice and a better smelling liquid leave in and conditioner(using up products).

silenttullip

I just took a look at the ingredients again since it was so long ago...
I believe it may have been the amount of castor oil. I use all the other
stuff sometimes but castor oil makes me shed *like giant balls of hair* no idea why it has that affect on me but works for many others
So that may be it.

I like the conditioner and the spray. It doesn't seem to have anything in it to make hair fall out but everyone is different.

I mix a bit of the spray with a little aloe vera juice and a better smelling liquid leave in and conditioner(using up products).

Rain20

^^ Was actually referring to the you tube person someone mentioned. The newer formulations are not as oily. I think there is more glycerin than anything else. Maybe the aloe vera doesn't agree with some as well. Really a little goes a long way. Maybe some users were overmoisturizing as well.

Too many products out there to use something that doesn't agree with your hair.

Solitude

Does anyone use these products? I have the conditioner and the spray because I loved the ingredients. I really can't say if it did much for my hair so I stopped using it. I still have unopened bottles from when I was trying to support the company because it was black owned.

dancinstallion

I purchased the moisturizing spray yesterday on a whim. My hair was feeling really dry and they carry it at my local beauty supply store.

I purchased the one with oil in it and let me just say, my hair feels great! It also smells good and it seemed to absorb really well. I braided my hair up and left it in overnight. I sprayed it again this morning, but I didn't take the braids down, so it's too early for me to give a review.

I purposely waited for the popularity to die down to try the products and I think they have made some changes based on customer feedback. I'm not looking for increased growth. I'm looking for a remedy for my chronic dry hair.

Let me say, I will never use that oil-free spray - it smells straight up like isopropyl alcohol, which is NOT good for hair.

The spray also made me shed like crazy
One girl on yt had a vid showing how it broke her hair off

silenttullip

Thanks for sharing this. Do you remember the YouTuber's name? I tried to find it, but there are so many people on there with Nu-Gro reviews.

aicramphoto

I like the shampoo, conditioner and moisturizing spray (not the oil free - too drying). They now sell it in the NYC area, so ordering and waiting for it won't be an issue.

It's funny that some people experienced breakage when it's the garlic in it that is supposed to stop shedding which leads to retention which is your "growth."

bellebebe

I swear most black folks will buy any product with word "grow" on it. lol...
I'm just sayin... it is how it is. Although are good though.

QTPie

Hmmm well I'm a natural and I purchased the spray (not oil free) and as someone who definitely has chronically dry hair this has been a lifesaver this summer. Its easy to overuse it (your hair will feel greasy) so I only use about 3 times a week. I haven't tried anything else from the line. I believe I did "spike" it by adding a little more aloe vera juice by the way. I don't want to speak too soon but I think I have seen a slight increase in retention/growth since using it. Nothing to brag about though but if you are looking for a moisturizing spray to try other than the jheri juice (to me there's virtually no smell to this), this gets my recommendation.

JJamiah

Thanks JJamiah. The grease that you like, is that the Hair Grow Oil that comes in a jar? Do you use it on your hair or scalp?

I ask because I have a problem with shedding this time of year (as it gets cold) and it seems that products with garlic as an ingredient might help. I was looking at Alter Ego and Nutrine products but came across Nu-gro which seems to have a high percentage of garlic without lots of chemicals.

So far, I've added a garlic supplement to my regimen and have added garlic to my essential oil mixture for scalp messages so we will see if that helps.

@janda my apologies for not seeing this post.
I use the grease on my scalp. I didn't buy this due to have the word gro on it as my hair is fine already. I needed something and the ingredients were on point. ALTEr EGO another product I use is a staple that I won't be with out. I also use the Nu-gro spray due to the ingredients which help like coffee said to ease the breakage of my hair while I was in braids. Try the Alter Ego, you won't be disappointed. The Nugro spray with oil is great too, the ingredients are awesome, the grease has the same ingredients other then it has petroleum. :)

danniegirl

i think i might try this also i was reading the ingredients i saw online and it chopped full of stuff i try to mix in my own little concoctions