Can body lotion be used as hair moisturizer?

Candiss

I just finished reading Andre Walker hair book. He said that lotion can be used for the hair because they contain many of the same ingredients found in more expensive products.

fogannie

I don't know about moisturizing, but when I was in college (many years ago) and ran out of Miss Cool setting lotion, I used body lotion and my hair had curls the next day when I took it down.

HoneyDew

I never have, but my favorite moisturizer has the same ingredients as lotions. Actually some lotions have less protein in them which I know is attractive for some. I'm sure not all of them would work the way you want, but I know lotion would be good.

Mizani_Mrs

i always figured that lotion certainly can be used on the hair. But i don't think i've found a lotion that is thin and light enough to apply to my hair. Most lotions are heavy/greasy... any suggestions???

ReesieCup

Absolutely!! Any lotion with a high shea or cocoa content would probably work well. The ingredients are the same for the most part. It won't hurt you hair if that's the concern. Natural products are more likely to be multi-functional.

caribeandiva

Human being
ReesieCup said:
Absolutely!! Any lotion with a high shea or cocoa content would probably work well. The ingredients are the same for the most part. It won't hurt you hair if that's the concern. Natural products are more likely to be multi-functional.

yeah i was afraid they might coat my hair shaft and eventually dry it out.

CoCoGirl821

HoneyDew said:
I never have, but my favorite moisturizer has the same ingredients as lotions. Actually some lotions have less protein in them which I know is attractive for some. I'm sure not all of them would work the way you want, but I know lotion would be good.

What mositurizer do you use and how do you use it? I am in the market for a new moisturizer.

saqqara

I used a skin lotion as a detangler for months but it eventually left my hair dry and brittle. It did work well though.

LovelyLionessa

I remember seeing Minnie Driver on the Style channel, and she said she used Palmer's Cocoa Butter in her hair as a moisturizer. Whatever works.

toinette

Tricking the president
back in the day i used to use Keri on my hair. i hated using it on my skin uz it was so greasy but i would wet my hair and slick it back with Keri. i tleft my hair super shiny .

secretdiamond

hmmmmm..... I thought about this too. My friend with BSL hair says that she always puts whatever lotion leftover on her hands from moisturizing her skin into her hair. But she says she does it for it to smell good. :lol:

HoneyDew

CoCoGirl821 said:
What mositurizer do you use and how do you use it? I am in the market for a new moisturizer.

I use a Loreal Vive leave in that is discontinued (Loreal Vive Smooth-Intense Anti Frizz cream) and I am replacing it with the Garnier Sleek and Shine Leave in. They have just about the same ingredients except that the Loreal uses Camelina Sativa Seed oil and the Garnier uses Avocado oil and Apricot Kernel Oil. They don't have protein, mineral oil or pertroleum.

The Garnier is just as good as the Loreal. I just use them daily on my hair and then seal it all with Kemi Oil. Sometime I seal with Redken heat glide.

CalJay

Hmmm...I will have to try this. I use Nivea Smooth Sensation Lotion and that stuff leaves me silky and smooth. Its light and has a nice scent. Ill try it one of these days!

caribeandiva

Human being
Priestess said:
In Allure magazine, a beauty insider revealed that she slept with body lotion in her hair as a pre-poo and it left her hair soft.

Really? i have a subscription to Allure. i need to pay more attention to the hair tips.

LovelyLionessa

caribeandiva said:
Really? i have a subscription to Allure. i need to pay more attention to the hair tips.

Yeah, every now and then they have some good stuff. Earlier this year in Allure, a stylist gave an interesting conditioning hair recipie, it was made up of one part each of:

hair mask
rinse out conditioner
deep conditioner
leave-in conditioner

Then he put it in the microwave and put it on his clients hair. I wish I had the article now, unfortunately at the time, I read it at the library. It was kind of interesting tho.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Yes, when I'm out of leave in conditioner or when I have lotioned my hands I smear the surplus in my hair :D
Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion :)

lnhair

My mother use to baby sit for this woman who had waist length hair and she used lotion in her hair and her daughters. She had us use vaseline intensive care lotion in her hair once when styling it.

Joyful1

caribeandiva said:
yeah i was afraid they might coat my hair shaft and eventually dry it out.

That was my experience. It was great initially, then my hair felt & looked really dry.