Cornrow removal....

LoveCraze

Naturalista
What's the best way to remove cornrows with extention hair without tearing out my hair in the process? I have fine natural hair and I don't want to cause damage while taking these 5 week old braids out.

JJamiah

I'd take a tail come tip/needle to get the unbraiding started and then just use your fingers to remove them slowly. As your taking it out just braid it lightly so it doesn't get tangled and knotted.

Prudent1

^^^I would suggest using an oil or cheapie condish slathered on the length of the braids also. I never take down my braids or twists w/o something on my hair. It helps curb accidental breakage:yep:.

JJamiah

I wouldn't put any moisture or liquid to it, because your going to have shed hairs and you don't want those to get tangled up or matted up because taking it apart, will , let's say cause you to say and think bad things :look:

I don't get unnecessary breakage when breaking down my braid under my pieces. I take my time, just use a tip to get started, one time I used something I got matting, Never again!

The longer the hair gets the harder the break down to me.

When my hair was shorter, no sweat, it just glided through and came out.

NikkiQ

I used to apply EVOO on my braids prior to taking them down to help remove the hair easier and to be able to detangle without a problem.

faithVA

I use some type of oil and it varies on how well I plan. If I plan ahead I will do an oil rinse a day or two before my take down. If it is the night before I will coat my hair with oil and baggy overnight. If I didn't preplan, then I coat my hair with oil and baggy for at least an hour. The oil works better for my hair than conditioner. It causes my own hair to separate from itself as well as separating from the extension hair.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Ok now I'm conflicted. Maybe I should do one braid with product (oil) and one braid without to see which one works out best.

smuice

I used to apply EVOO on my braids prior to taking them down to help remove the hair easier and to be able to detangle without a problem.

Yes EVOO is great for assisting in braid removal..gives a good amount of slip!:spinning:

CurliDiva

I like adding oil (only) to my hair before detangle each braid with my hand and a rattail comb.

Adding water and/or conditioner will just make my hair start curl which not a good idea until after I remove all of the shed hair.

The oil also coats your hands providing extra slip so your fingers does not rip thru the hair.

MeechUK

MeechUK
I would gently unpick the braids with a rat tail comb, then do a protein treatment follows by a moisturising conditioner. Your hair and head will be tender so treat your hair like silk.