Remove shine from Weave...I'm on a Mission!!!

Radianthealth

I am on a mission to figure out a way to remove the shiny look from weave. I will be trying a couple of things with my Fall tonight to make sure that it matches my 9 week post relaxer hair.

This is what I will try:

1. Clarifying Shampoo
2. Apple Cider Vinegar - Straight up
3. Relaxer
5. Neutralizing Shampoo
6. And anything else that is laying around the house that looks toxic enough to remove shine from weave...maybe some Drano:perplexed

I will update you guys on my Trial and Error Experiment.:cool:

Dannygirl

moose it also one of the beautian thats in the shop hates that new shiney look (same here) so she'll wet it and blow dry it also to give it that old look

Kimberly

Will this work on my phony pony?

I remember back a long time ago on the original UPA clip thread somebody said something about getting the shine out of their phony ponies :think:

I'm late leaving work on here messing around on this board but I'll check back when I get home to see if someone posted it and, if not, I'll look for it myself.

Radianthealth

Yeah I remember that too...If memory serves me right it was Sareca and she said to use Hollywood Carrot Oil Cream....

I will be trying this one also!!!!:D

candy1214

trimbride said:
I am on a mission to figure out a way to remove the shiny look from weave. I will be trying a couple of things with my Fall tonight to make sure that it matches my 9 week post relaxer hair.

This is what I will try:

1. Clarifying Shampoo
2. Apple Cider Vinegar - Straight up
3. Relaxer
5. Neutralizing Shampoo
6. And anything else that is laying around the house that looks toxic enough to remove shine from weave...maybe some Drano:perplexed

I will update you guys on my Trial and Error Experiment.:cool:

Oh try mixing 1/2 a cap of downey in with warm water. Leave it to sit and then rinse with cool water.

Kimberly

trimbride said:
Yeah I remember that too...If memory serves me right it was Sareca and she said to use Hollywood Carrot Oil Cream....

I will be trying this one also!!!!:D

That's what it was! I'm going to try to pick up some Hollywood Carrot Oil Cream and Downy this weekend.

MsCounsel

I SWEAR THAT YOU LADIES READ MY MIND AND THEN POST. I'VE SOAKED MY INSTANT WEAVE IN EVERYTHING EXCEPT BLEACH :eek: I'M GOING TO TRY THE CARROT OIL.

Again, thanks for reading my mind and providing a solution. :D

Radianthealth

Update:

All I have in the house is Clarifying Shampoo & Baking soda...

My fall is a human hair fall and a clarifier is supposed to lift the hair cuticle, I believe that should take aways some of the shine.

I used the pantene clarifying shampoo then rinsed after letting it sit for about 2 minutes.

I then sprinkled about 1/4 cup of baking soda onto the fall and used the fall to scrub the bottom of my sink :lachen:

I then rinsed the fall and it is hanging in my bathroom to dry.

I might go in there and attack it with the blowdrier:cool:

Radianthealth

Another Update:

I tried a couple of things with my fall to make it look more natural and overall I am satisfied.

I clarified it with Pantene Clarifying Shampoo and Baking Soda (Removed some of the shine, but it still wasn't enough :ohwell: )

I relaxed it with a Profectiv Relaxer and didn't use any conditioner afterwards (Took the shine off very well and made the texture of the hair closer to my relaxed 4-B 10 weeks post texture :D )

I then threw some Fabric Softener on it (I don't think this did much:look: )

I rinsed the fall and roller rod set it and placed it inside of my soft bonnet drier for an hour.

I removed the rollers and the fall still looked a little shiny

So I shook a little Bumble & Bumble black hair powder on it (This made it PERFECT!!!:grin: )

I could have omitted a lot of these steps but this was a trial and error thing.

My conclusion, the best thing to remove shine from weave is Relaxer & Powder.:cool:

Raspberry

So what works best on synthetic wig? I just bought my first wig and the shine on the bangs and crowns is kind of freakish to me, especially since I'm natural, my hair hasn't been shiny in years lol. Now I gotta figure out how to fit these locs up under there.

Last edited: