*~Panthenol~*

carameldlite

Hey Everyone! :)

I have seen many posts about Panthenol and Pantothenic Acid, supposedly making hair thicker. So I decided to do a little research on my own, here is what I found out:

Panthenol (B5) binds well to hair follicles and attracts moisture from the air. Lubricates hair without feeling greasy. Also acts as a penetrating moisturizer. Plumps and moisturizes hair shaft to make it appear thicker, reduces split ends, smoothes skin and strengthens nails. Humectant like properties that promote moisture absorption. Can add strength and body to hair by filling cracks on the shaft firming up fiber.
Just a tid-bit of info. for anyone thats intrested!!

But I also have a question, I am going to buy some liqiud panthenol and the directions say add to Shampoo but wouldn't it be more benenficial to add it to conditioner and deep condition? What would you do? TIA

myco

carameldlite said:
Hey Everyone! :)

I have seen many posts about Panthenol and Pantothenic Acid, supposedly making hair thicker. So I decided to do a little research on my own, here is what I found out:

Panthenol (B5) binds well to hair follicles and attracts moisture from the air. Lubricates hair without feeling greasy. Also acts as a penetrating moisturizer. Plumps and moisturizes hair shaft to make it appear thicker, reduces split ends, smoothes skin and strengthens nails. Humectant like properties that promote moisture absorption. Can add strength and body to hair by filling cracks on the shaft firming up fiber.
Just a tid-bit of info. for anyone thats intrested!!

But I also have a question, I am going to buy some liqiud panthenol and the directions say add to Shampoo but wouldn't it be more benenficial to add it to conditioner and deep condition? What would you do? TIA

That's really good info. I think I would add it either to my conditioner or to my serum after I wash. It seems like it would benefit the hair most then.

Neroli

I've added panthenol to 'poo, conditioner and leave-ins over the years but I found that for maximum results (really THICK looking hair when dry) I add to my leave-in and oils on wet hair before rollersetting/drying. The BEST results I get is adding a few drops to nexxus headdress and apply to wet hair, rollerset and dry -- serious bounce and volume for days!

vickid

I've never tried the liquid B5 but I take B5 pills daily per my dermatologist. My hair has seemed stronger and it has gotten much thicker.

eboniwoman

lil bunny
I think I am going to purchase the liquid form and add it along with my little s-curl/water/pure glycerin concoction in a bottle.

LaidBak

I had never heard of liquid panthenol before. But last night I had a dream that I bought panthenol gel at a drugstore to put on my hair. I googled it and lo and behold, my LHCF Cousins had the info. Crazy...

Americka

I have it in powder form and when I run out of it, I think I will purchase it in liquid form. Amazing!

lalla

I use it in my conditioners and in my leave in products. I don't know if it makes the hair thicker, but it does moisturize and add elasticity.
I wouldn't use it in shampoos because the surfactants would probably strip it from the hair. I think those instructions may be aimed at white people who generally don't condition that often.
I use it in my conditioners because I don't think water alone can rinse most of it out of my hair.

Americka

:grin:! Yes, there are several of us on the board that add either liquid or powdered panthenol to our products including Taz007 and myself. I add it to my deep conditioners, leave ins, castor oil mix that I use and a spray mix I use towards the end of my stretch.The beautiful thing is a lot more products now have panthenol as one of the ingredients.

yardyspice

Have you noticed a big improvement in the thickness of your hair?

:grin:! Yes, there are several of us on the board that add either liquid or powdered panthenol to our products including Taz007 and myself. I add it to my deep conditioners, leave ins, castor oil mix that I use and a spray mix I use towards the end of my stretch.The beautiful thing is a lot more products now have panthenol as one of the ingredients.

Americka

Have you noticed a big improvement in the thickness of your hair?

Yes, my hair is fuller and healthier, but I can't directly attribute it to panthenol alone. I take supplements and I have reduced the amount of heat I apply to my hair which I believe have contributed as well. I think of panthenol as one more positive step towards healthier and longer hair. HTH!

yardyspice

Ok, I am going to try it. Does the powder dissolve when you mix your leave ins?

Yes, my hair is fuller and healthier, but I can't directly attribute it to panthenol alone. I take supplements and I have reduced the amount of heat I apply to my hair which I believe have contributed as well. I think of panthenol as one more positive step towards healthier and longer hair. HTH!

Last edited:

frizzy

I use pathenol for the health of my hair. I have the powdered kind and add it to my DC's and will add it to a leave-in spray.

It dissolves very easily in water. :yep:

Americka

Ok you don't have to tell me twice, I need to get some of this in my life.

I know you don't use a lot of commercial products ('cept for Skalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa), but most of them have panthenol as an ingredient. I think a little of it in DCs and conditioners is good step towards healthy hair.

Correction: Skala Aloe Vera has panthenol! (Thanks Choctaw!)

Last edited:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Firstborn2

panthenol (B5) is one of the ingredients in the skala aloe vera line

lol girl that's one of the lines I haven't tried yet, thank you for telling me, I'm on a mission to find it now, you know I love my Skalaaaaaa