Hair Shaft Defects!

Bella

Knowledge is power!...

Trichorrhexis nodosa (This is why many people find it difficlt to grow long hair)

One of the most common hair shaft defects a dermatologist encounters is trichorrhexis nodosa (also called trichonodosis). Trichorrhexis nodosa is a focal defect in the hair fiber. When observed under the microscope most of a hair shaft looks entirely normal. However, in isolated spots along the length of a fiber swelling and/or fraying can be seen. These focal defects develop where there is an absence of cuticle.

The cuticle encases the hair cortex in a strong almost impenetrable layer. It provides physical support and helps protect the cortex of a hair shaft from environmental factors such as ultra violet light, chemicals such as detergents and physical action such as hair brushing. If the cuticle is absent then the cortex underneath is directly exposed. The cortex is less resistant to the physical and chemical factors in the environment compared to the cuticle. Where the cortex is exposed its integrity is broken down. The chemical bonds that maintain the hair structure can break down and the hair becomes more flexible and weaker. The hair may split and fray into minute strands at the point of cuticle break down. This focal disruption of the hair fiber is a prime area for hair shaft breakage. As we comb, brush, and generally manipulate our hair, these defective nodes in the hair fiber may break.

Causes of trichorrhexis nodosa can be congenital or acquired. Some people have naturally weak hair where the cuticle is not properly produced. This influence is often hereditary and runs in families. Congenital trichorrhexis nodosa is very rare and it often first develops at a very young age. Abnormal production of hair fiber that is irregular and brittle can occur in metabolic disorders such as those that involve abnormal urea synthesis, abnormal copper or zinc metabolism, or defective cysteine or sulfur incorporation into hair fiber (trichothiodystrophy).

Trichorrhexis nodosa is more likely to be acquired through excessive manipulation of hair. Too much brushing, hairstyles that put constant stress on the hair, excessive washing, dying, and perming may disrupt the cuticle in focal areas along a hair shaft. Trichorrhexis nodosa is seen in people who repeatedly use hot combs or permanent waves to style their hair. Once the cuticle is removed then the hair cortex swiftly breaks down.

Trichorrhexis nodosa develops in association with a range of other hair diseases. Any hair condition that weakens the hair shaft and/or results in abnormal cuticle formation can result in Trichorrhexis nodosa like hair breakage. Hair loss through breakage can be seen in conditions such as alopecia areata as a secondary phenomenon.

Treatment depends on the considered cause of the focal defects. If the hair production is believed to be abnormal then treatment will focus on the hair follicle and improving the strength of hair fiber. Where the defect is the result of excessive grooming the obvious action is to reduce the amount of hair manipulation. People are encouraged to stop using brushes, avoid hair styling that involves chemicals and use only very mild shampoos. Once the integrity of the hair fiber is broken down there is little that can be done to repair it. Often the only answer is to choose a short hair style and cut off the defective hair. It may take some time for hair to recover from trichorrhexis nodosa. New, healthy hair has to grow to replace the defective fibers. It may take several months or even years before scalp hair completely recovers.

Split ends

Trichoptilosis is a longitudinal splitting of hair fiber better known as "split ends". It develops after the protective cuticle has been stripped away from the end of hair fibers as a result of over processing. Any chemical or physical trauma that weathers the hair may eventually lead to split ends. It can even be induced by vigorous brushing. Typically the damaged hair fiber splits into two or three strands and the split may be two or three centimeters in length. However the greater the damage to the hair fiber the more severe the split ends may be. Splits running several centimeters in length and in multiple strands is possible in severely weathered hair.

Occasionally the cuticle stripping and hair splitting develops in the middle of a hair fiber and this results in the hair fiber breaking into more than one strand but held together as a single strand at the scalp root and tip of the hair.

Split ends are more likely to develop in brittle hair that may develop due to other hair shaft defect conditions such as bamboo hair (trichorrhexis invaginata), monilethrix, trichothiodystrophy, Netherton's syndrome, and pili torti.

Once the cuticle is removed from hair fiber it is impossible to replace. The best treatment is to cut the hair and remove the split and damaged hair.

BlkMane

Bella do you frequent www.Nappturality.com? Some of the posts on that board are so alienating. Your posts remind me of the whole "attitude" over there.

Bella relaxing is a choice. If you don't want to do it..DON'T. But enough with the preaching.

Bella

No I'm not from Nappturality.com

I'm only a member of this board. I'm just coming out of the lurk mode. I was just trying to help.

Crysdon you are right. I do hate relaxers, because of the damage that it's done to my hair.

NubianAngel

I also feel the need to say something. I frequent Nappturality.com. Some people are anti relaxers, some are anti-twist out, some are anti color. But we are all different.

I know the post said some, but there isnt one "attitude" at the site. If thats the case, I would have that "attitude". Im not starting anything, I just got a bit offended.

hairfanatic

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Some of the posts on that board are so alienating. Your posts remind me of the whole "attitude" over there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Brownrelaxed hair,

I personnally haven't really posted anything over there but read a lot of information. I never noticed any attitude over there though. Maybe I missed that posts that were with attitude. I can see how you would feel that the board is alienating because Dee Coily does make it very clear that the site is specifically for those that have natural hair because she said she was trying to help women that were truly natural and not texurized, etc.

You are not being preaching at all. Like you, I agree that relaxing is a choice. Even though I am natural because of nerve damage, there have been plenty of times where I wanted a relaxer, regardless of the damage it caused. That's the only thing that I hate about the relaxer and natural conversations, they can get very heated. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I think just like we all respect each other's opinions, we need to respect each other's right to choose how we maintain our hair.

SVT

I'd prefer that personal issues with a particular site be addressed on that site.

Thanks!

pebbles

Trichorrhexis nodosa is more likely to be acquired through excessive manipulation of hair. Too much brushing, hairstyles that put constant stress on the hair, excessive washing, dying, and perming may disrupt the cuticle in focal areas along a hair shaft. Trichorrhexis nodosa is seen in people who repeatedly use hot combs or permanent waves to style their hair. Once the cuticle is removed then the hair cortex swiftly breaks down.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are encouraged to stop using brushes, avoid hair styling that involves chemicals and use only very mild shampoos. Once the integrity of the hair fiber is broken down there is little that can be done to repair it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Moone,
Both of these statements include the use of relaxers. HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kasey

Hey girls,

I just wanted to say that this split end problem can come from using bad water too. About two years ago I took out my extension braids after I moved here and began shampooing weekly. After about four shampoos (four weeks) I realized that the water was eating up my hair--it was heavily chlorinated. I had a BIG the problem with multiple splits on one hair shaft. It took a while to get rid of the split ends too. I think that the last inch or two of my current length is the last bit of that damaged hair. So ladies whether you relax or not, be careful of the water, and the climate, especially when you move to a new city or a new apartment or home.

BlkMane

Sorry, SVT. Will do! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

BTW, I did not mean to offend anyone with my comment about that other site. I did say that SOME of the posts over there are alienating because they are. I've read some posts over there that have made my jaw drop.

And maybe I was generalizing too much when I talked about the attitude over at that site, but that is the vibe I get from that site when I "visit" (usually only when LHCF was down). /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But, over all that "other site" IS a great resource for people with natural hair. I agree.

Sorry again if I offended anyone.

Bad BlkMane!...Bad BlkMane! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

hairfanatic

BTW, I did not mean to offend anyone with my comment about that other site.

[/ QUOTE ]

BlkMane,

You didn't offend me at all. Now that I think about it...If something made you feel a certain way then...IT DID! Each person takes things differently and that's okay. I have to check myself on that one. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm done and will leave this thread alone.

NubianAngel

Its cool. Some of the posts over there are extreme, and I don't agree with all of it. I guess sensitive b/c i'm relatively new to this site, and hope it never turns into an "us vs. them" type of thing since I visit both sites now /images/graemlins/wink.gif

skegeesmb

That's very interesting, but as a natural I had split ends in the beginning of my journey and that was when I just washed n' wore. I used wide toothed combs and was careful. You will get split ends regardless.

Now on the other things you pointed out, I don't know because I was not one of those people who's hair "couldn't grow".

Is this from personal experience? If so, how has your hair improved since then? And do you think you may have suffered from this damage?

Paris Belle

Everyone's hair is different. I know many people that have hair that works well with the relaxer and is able to grow and be healthy with proper care and maintenance. I am one of them.

On the other hand, I know other people that have had greater success with natural hair. Either way, it depends on the person's hair texture and genetics (strength wise) IMHO.

I come from a family (my dad's side) where I our hair is a very thick and coarse 3C and we use perms to manage and style our hair. Whereas my mother is also 3C but her hair is soft and does not work well with the perm at all. It really depends on the person.

kasey

Supergirl,

Let's see, I recognized the problem in January 00. Once I realized that it was the water, I began looking for a new place to live.

I began buying two gallons of bottled water each week to shampoo and rinse my hair. And, I got regular trims EVERY six weeks to eight weeks. My hair stylist thought I was crazy when I told her that I was using bottled water to shampoo. I think that she started to believe me when she saw the way my hair had split. So she didn't stress me about coming in with my hair already shampooed.)

Oh, I used ORS Carrot oil and Gold Medal Lavendar Cream every day. I ORS strengthened and Lavendar cream moisturized and helped fill in the hair shaft. After the second trim my hair was looking okay, but I had lost a lot of the length and fullness. A lot of it broke off and sometimes a lot came out in the in the comb. I dont know how long it was, but my hair was big when I moved here. I got it straightened once--right after I took out the braids--and it fell past my shoulder. I styled my hair with a curling iron, but I wasn't into hair then so, I really don't remember too much of how it looked. (I was moving around a lot.) I do recall seeing a picture of myself taken at a New Years Eve 2000 party and the hair was laying on my shoulders.

In October 00 I went back home and got my hair rebraided. I kept it in extension braids (different sets) until Jan 02.

Now I really see the difference between my old hair and my new hair. The ends feel rough and they are much thinner that the new hair.

So ladies be careful when you go swimming and when you change residences. If you are worried about the water in your apartment and you are renting, get a shower filter. The filter will last about two years. It's better for your skin and your hair, and you can take it with you to your next place when you move