How often do you oil/grease your scalp?

How often do you oil/grease your scalp? And what oils do you use?

• 2 times a day

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Everyother day

Votes: 64 21.1%
  • Once a week

Votes: 64 21.1%
  • I never oil my scalp

Votes: 129 42.6%
  • Other

Votes: 36 11.9%

• Total voters

Lynnerie

How often is everyone oiling their scalps?
Is there anyone here that does not oil/grease their scalp and has had successful hair growth and no dry scalp problems? I'm wondering because I know that our scalps aren't oily like caucasians but is oiling the scalp clogging our pores?

MizaniMami

cluelessaka said:
Is there anyone here that does not oil/grease their scalp and has had successful hair growth and no dry scalp problems? I'm wondering because I know that our scalps aren't oily like caucasians but is oiling the scalp clogging our pores?

For me personally, I don't oil my scalp. I know my scalp productes it's own oils so I prefer to let it do it's thang. When I use to grease my scalp I had dandruff something serious!

Jewell

I find that oiling my scalp makes my new growth so much more manageable and my scalp less tender. I use Wild Growth Oil and Proclaim 7 Herbal Oil. I voted for other because I only oil my scalp after a CW or regular wash (while my hair and scalp are still damp), which is typically several times a week.

ChasingBliss

cluelessaka said:

I never oil my scalp because doing just that, gives me flakes and makes my scalp feel dirty. I think I've been pretty successful not doing so. I take flaxseed and codliver oil daily along with my multi, etc.. and I have been doing that for the last couple of years, so my scalp stays pretty balanced.

MissFallon

I used to oil my scalp one to two times a week ; but now I don't do it at all because I really didn't see a different and all it did was make my hair oily (which at the time I liked it to be because I always wear it in a protective style). Usually it would go back to normal after a day or so but I was getting sick of those days where my hair was overpowered by what I was using.

nappykat2000

Hi. I usually don't post here (a little bit shy).I usually don't oil my scalp, but I think I may start. Around month six of my pregnancy my hair started to dry out and my scalp became flaky:eek: . I need to find a light oil of some kind.

Sistaslick

I don't oil or grease my scalp either :nono: I think oil and grease only add to the problem of dry, flaky scalp. Dry things need to be hydrated, so I rely on the washing and conditioning aspects of my regimen to hydrate my scalp. I look at the scalp as an extension of the face. Just as pores can become clogged on the face, the follicles of the hair can experience the same type of obstruction if products are placed directly on it-- especially heavy oils and greases.

The scalp produces its own perfect oil, sebum, and does not need help from us via topical products. The problem of dry, flaky scalp is only aggravated by the addition of products onto the scalp skin. It ends up creating a vicious cycle of dryness. The scalp will produce less sebum to compensate for the products you are putting on it. And without this constant, even production of sebum-- the function of the scalp is thrown off balance. Dandruff and dryness return from the lack of sebum production-- and then you put more stuff on the scalp thinking this will help. Then again, the scalp cuts back on sebum and dryness returns. The scalp, like any other skin needs to be able to respirate (perspire) etc. With heavy concoctions on the scalp clogging the pores, an unhealthy environment for growth is created and the function of the scalp is hindered form operating at its optimal levels. I've found that the best way to hydrate the scalp is simply through frequent washing and conditioning. This keeps the scalp skin clear of any obstructing clutter and keeps it moisturized and supple.

I saw this picture online and saved it back in the day, and it reminds me why it seems best to keep things off of the scalp.

The stuff seen clogging the pore here is actually excess sebum! So imagine if the scalps "perfect" oil can clog it up when its left on the scalp in excess, what a coating of a thicker oil product will do? :perplexed There are people who grease their scalps daily with hair to the floor, so the hair and scalp will still thrive-- but I think conditions are optimal when the scalp is left to function on its own.

Last edited:

isawstars

Sistaslick said:
I don't oil or grease my scalp either :nono: I think oil and grease only add to the problem of dry, flaky scalp. Dry things need to be hydrated, so I rely on the washing and conditioning aspects of my regimen to hydrate my scalp. I look at the scalp as an extension of the face. Just as pores can become clogged on the face, the follicles of the hair can experience the same type of obstruction if products are placed directly on it-- especially heavy oils and greases.

The scalp produces its own perfect oil, sebum, and does not need help from us via topical products. The problem of dry, flaky scalp is only aggravated by the addition of products onto the scalp skin. It ends up creating a vicious cycle of dryness. The scalp will produce less sebum to compensate for the products you are putting on it. And without this constant, even production of sebum-- the function of the scalp is thrown off balance. Dandruff and dryness return from the lack of sebum production-- and then you put more stuff on the scalp thinking this will help. Then again, the scalp cuts back on sebum and dryness returns. The scalp, like any other skin needs to be able to respirate (perspire) etc. With heavy concoctions on the scalp clogging the pores, an unhealthy environment for growth is created and the function of the scalp is hindered form operating at its optimal levels. I've found that the best way to hydrate the scalp is simply through frequent washing and conditioning. This keeps the scalp skin clear of any obstructing clutter and keeps it moisturized and supple.

I saw this picture online and saved it back in the day, and it reminds me why it seems best to keep things off of the scalp.

The stuff seen clogging the pore here is actually excess sebum! So imagine if the scalps "perfect" oil can clog it up when its left on the scalp in excess, what a coating of a thicker oil product will do? :perplexed There are people who grease their scalps daily with hair to the floor, so the hair and scalp will still thrive-- but I think conditions are optimal when the scalp is left to function on its own.

Wow... you know your stuff girl!

beana

I oil my scalp once a week with castor oil. I don't do it for any particular reason, I just like the way it helps me manage my new growth late in my relaxing schedule. Also, my hair forms little curlies at the root with the castor oil and that makes my ponytail (how i style 80% of the time) look gorgeous. I haven't reaped any negative effects and will continue to oil my scalp weekly. I oil my hair almost everyday though.

cocowhite

It depends on what I'm doing, if I am using MTG every other day. When I am not using MTG I would apply once a week.

wadadligyal

Sistaslick said:

Thanks sista for breaking it down like that. I don't oil or grease my scalp either but after reading this I definitely won't!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing Sistaslick!!!!!

Keen

I do think some of our scalp needs help with moisture. Especially if your hair cannot handle daily washes. You should be careful not to put any ingredients like petroleum that will just sit on your scalp. I think products like Emu oil, Rose mary oil, Aloe vera and Shea butter which your scalp can actually absorb will help. You still need frequent washes not to accumulte product build up.

One thing that will slow growth is dry scalp. In fact, I think many topical products that claim to promote growth does nothing more than hydrate the scalp which is an optimal enviroment for hair growth.

My theory is, if you need to hydrate your skin even after taking showers daily, why not your scalp? Some people skin excrete enough oil not to be ashy as others just like some people's scalp excete enough oil not to need extra help. You should know where you fall.

zorra

I oil my scalp with emu oil 2-3 times a week and I deep clean my hair and scalp once a month because even though emu oil and other oils are good for your hair theres always sebum left on the scalp and hair.

ArizonaBeauty

I have a problem with dandruff, so I try to keep my scalp moist. I used Sufur 8 once a week or Dudley's vitamin A & D ointment.

Cichelle

oil my scalp? :nono: I don't think that would work for me. It seems to me that putting grease on my scalp would do the same thing that not washing for days and days does...cause dandruff, itching, and DIRT. I don't want my scalp to be oily or greasy. It produces what it needs, as far as I can tell.

sunshyne_krissy

I can't really oil my scalp since I have braids. (will matte).. So I spray it with my homemade MTG that has castor oil in it... it works extremely well, especially after I co-wash or 'poo.

trinidarkie1

I stopped using grease a long time ago. I just use my MTG mix.
I use it quite often, every morning.

I'm taking a lil MTG break this weekend (2 days) and starting back on MOnday with daily application.

berry87

Since starting my" hair journey" i kicked this old habit and its been helping. The only thing that goes on my scalp is conditioner:) MY mom had serious flakes and dandruff for as far as i can remember. She would always ask me to scratch her scalp, a night with a comb, and i was left with these white flakes all over my clothes.:mad: I've since told her to stop oiling her scalp:p Wash her hair once a week and, moisturize her ends and it has helped us both tremendously.:thumbsup: Your scalp produces sebum and i think thats all the oil on my scalp i need:grin:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
nappykat2000 said:
Hi. I usually don't post here (a little bit shy).I usually don't oil my scalp, but I think I may start. Around month six of my pregnancy my hair started to dry out and my scalp became flaky:eek: . I need to find a light oil of some kind.

You can try jojoba poil, its really light

EbonyEyes

I grease my scalp 1-2 times a week. It makes my scalp feel really good. I've found that doing it every day is unnecessary.