Trimming hair according to phases of the moon

NewYorkgyrl

Does anyone still trim or cut their hair according to the lunar calendar. I remember there use to be posts about this a couple years back. I was just wondering if anyone still does it.

I have not had a trim in a loooooong time. I plan on getting my hair done in September and figured I might as well try it.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Rules For Using Moon Phases For Hair Care:

To Grow Your Hair Faster

Trim ends during the New Moon or during the First Phase of the Moon when the light of the moon is increasing.
The best astrological signs for faster, longer and healthier hair is the New Moon in Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Capricorn or Pisces.
When possible start a hair growth program with the New Moon in one of the most beneficial signs. Start by trimming a tiny bit of hair from your ends during the New Moon or First Phase of the Waxing (increasing) Moon.
These dates are also helpful if you are starting a specific hair growth program and want faster results. This would include starting a hair vitamin program (HairTopia Hair Vitamin Facts) or a new hair healthy diet, exercise, scalp or other hair care program designed to get your hair stronger and longer as quickly as possible.
Trim or cut your hair during the New Moon Phase

To Grow Your Hair Thicker & Fuller

Trim ends during the Full Moon especially when the Full Moon is in Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Capricorn or Pisces. The Full Moon in Leo is especially beneficial since Leo is the sign of the Lion which is born with a full lush mane.
Trim or cut your hair during the Full Moon Phase

Here is a link to full article:
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip001.htm

jrae

There are recommendations for relaxing, too, based on the phases of the moon, but I kept finding sites that posting conflicting info, so I gave up. I bet Isis has tried this... :yep:

Puddles

On Cloud 9
I used to......but I stopped and don't know why. Maybe it was because I reached my goal.

I'm going to start doing this again since I'm starting over. :)

mommy2kaela

yes all my life my mother my grandmother great grandma etc we only trim our hair on the new moon exactly never on the full moon the theory is trims on the full moon will stunt or slow growth and trims during the new moon accelerate growth. The reason is based on the farmers almanac, everything on earth grows and rest according to the moon including our hair...some skeptics or scientist refuse to acknowledge this but its always worked great for us. I can cut considerable amounts off on the new moon and it grows back twice as fast no kidding! I also believe that triming ends on the wrong days or too often can put hair in a bit of a funk phase and slow the growth but if a dusting is done on the new moon it seems to restore hair into its natural growth pattern...IMO.

Neith

It never made sense to me.

It's very well known here that trimming your hair doesn't make it grow, period.

If the moon DOES make your hair grow faster (Who knows, stranger things are true...), you wouldn't have trim it to reap the benefits.

Just my thoughts on it.

MonPetite

Don't take this the wrong way. What does trimming your hair have to do with your hair growth?

Nothing.

It never made sense to me.

If the moon DOES make your hair grow faster (Who knows, stranger things are true...), you wouldn't have trim it to reap the benefits.

Just my thoughts on it.

ITA.

yes all my life my mother my grandmother great grandma etc we only trim our hair on the new moon exactly never on the full moon the theory is trims on the full moon will stunt or slow growth and trims during the new moon accelerate growth. The reason is based on the farmers almanac, everything on earth grows and rest according to the moon including our hair...some skeptics or scientist refuse to acknowledge this but its always worked great for us. I can cut considerable amounts off on the new moon and it grows back twice as fast no kidding! I also believe that triming ends on the wrong days or too often can put hair in a bit of a funk phase and slow the growth but if a dusting is done on the new moon it seems to restore hair into its natural growth pattern...IMO.

Your hair is lovely! Were you the rather lucky lady who mentioned she got 2 inches a month in another thread eons ago? If so, your hair may have grown back quickly because of such a genetic blessing, not because of cutting on the new moon. Granting it would be genetic, other women in your family would see it too.

If not, your family is an amazing testament to this. :yep:

Puddles

On Cloud 9
Well I'm back on it. My mother even asked why I stopped.
I'm trimming 1/4in of my and daughter's hair on 10/28.

For those who don't believe......don't knock what You don't understand :grin:

charmtreese

I'm gonna give it a whirl and see how it goes! This is a lot cheaper than buying growth aids (which never work for me)!!!

Neith

Why is it that we don't understand? Is it impossible for you and other people that believe in it to be the ones who don't understand?

I have no ill will towards anyone, I just don't believe that cutting your hair makes it grow at any time.

We are all allowed to openly share our convictions AND doubts here, are we not?

The moon MAY (or may not) have an effect on hair growth, like I said... who knows? Life can be stranger than fiction.

However, WHY is it that you have to cut your hair to get this increased growth?

The hair grows from the scalp, from the hair follicles. Cutting the ends of the hair has nothing to do with hair growth. The hair follicles don't know how long your hair is. Cutting your hair has nothing to do with the source of the growth.

That's the biggest problem... the fact that you have to cut your hair to see growth makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Can you (or someone else) explain this in a way that actually makes sense so I can understand?

PapillionRouge

EXAACTLY!!!

Keep us posted on how it goes. I'll be starting this back up as well.
It really worked when I was doing it last year :yep:

Neith

I'm STILL really curious as to why you need to trim to see the moon growth... someone, please help me out here...

winnettag

I believe that there are some things in life that just can't be explained.
If this method works for you, great! It sure doesn't hurt to try it.

poookie

Hm. Can someone give specific dates when we should cut/trim our hair? i'd like to try this, but when the heck is the new moon going to be in capricorn/pisces/whatever?

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
I haven't trimmed my hair in a looonnnngg while, BUT, when I do, it will be on a new moon. My mother does this, & yes, she has midback length hair or longer.

I don't know WHY it works, or IF it truly works like that, BUT if I trim, this is when I will do this ---new moon, rebirth, new hair.

In fact, I think I just talked myself into a trim---now let's see, when is the next new moon?:lachen:

luckiestdestiny

Okay so I'm thinking it's not that trimming makes the hair grow. This is just a thought on why it may work...it's that trimming on the wrong day stunts hair growth. So if you do trim you want to do it on a day that encourages hair growth afterwards. Meaning no trim and your hair grows, whatever. But if you need to trim, don't do it on a day that stunts your hairs growth afterwards. Yes it's superstition but I just asked my grandma and that's what she says and has had waist length hair all her life. Her mom, same thing, and they have always done this. Don't beat up my grandma's theory It's superstition. We all know this. But I still say whatever, why not try it out. What do I have to lose. So I'm thinking about it, why not. What's the harm. As of right now I don't have any ends to cut, so I'm not cutting a d-$% thing. However, sometime in the next 6 months when I do, maybe I'll follow this whole thing just to see what the big deal is. What will it hurt? I know I can't explain lots of stuff but it works, so you never know.

Last edited:

Neith

I'm not trying to stop people from doing it... I NEVER said don't do it to anyone and I'm not trying to stop anyone from trying. On my part, it's just a discussion.

If it works for you then grow on, girl!

I'm just pointing out that the trimming part contradicts what we know about how hair grows on a scientific level (cutting doesn't affect growth rate).

I'm also curious to a concrete explanation as to why it would work that way... not just "we don't know why it works" or "it just works, there is no explaining it" because when you say that it sounds like an old wive's tale.

If it is a superstition/old wives tale... it's your hair and if that's what you want to do I sincerely hope it helps you and you reach your goals, but I was assuming that since people believe in it so fiercely in this day and age, that there was a logical reason behind it.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
October 28, 2008 the New Moon will be in Scorpio. The perfect time to trim for growth.

December 12, 2008 the Full Moon will be in Cancer. The perfect time to trim for thickness.

Basically it's believing the unseen. Trying to explain something to someone that all ready has their mind made up.....is pointless.

I agree....we all believe what we believe. And if a person believes that this is not possible....then sobeit.

There are tons of articles on "cutting hair by the phases of the moon." Google it.....I'm sure tons of info will pop up.
Here's two to get started.
http://www.longhairlovers.com/moon_maintenance.html

Now after reading these......if explanation is still needed....I say don't bother. If you don't believe....fine. If you do......fine.

Happy Hair Growing Everyone.:grin:

BlueNile

Does anyone still trim or cut their hair according to the lunar calendar. I remember there use to be posts about this a couple years back. I was just wondering if anyone still does it.

I have not had a trim in a loooooong time. I plan on getting my hair done in September and figured I might as well try it.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Rules For Using Moon Phases For Hair Care:

To Grow Your Hair Faster

Trim ends during the New Moon or during the First Phase of the Moon when the light of the moon is increasing.
The best astrological signs for faster, longer and healthier hair is the New Moon in Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Capricorn or Pisces.
When possible start a hair growth program with the New Moon in one of the most beneficial signs. Start by trimming a tiny bit of hair from your ends during the New Moon or First Phase of the Waxing (increasing) Moon.
These dates are also helpful if you are starting a specific hair growth program and want faster results. This would include starting a hair vitamin program (HairTopia Hair Vitamin Facts) or a new hair healthy diet, exercise, scalp or other hair care program designed to get your hair stronger and longer as quickly as possible.
Trim or cut your hair during the New Moon Phase

To Grow Your Hair Thicker & Fuller

Trim ends during the Full Moon especially when the Full Moon is in Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Capricorn or Pisces. The Full Moon in Leo is especially beneficial since Leo is the sign of the Lion which is born with a full lush mane.
Trim or cut your hair during the Full Moon Phase

Here is a link to full article:

Ahhhh this subject has come up again. I honestly don't think it matters :yep: Good hair care is good hair care no matter what time of the month :yep:

Last edited:

Neith

October 28, 2008 the New Moon will be in Scorpio. The perfect time to trim for growth.

December 12, 2008 the Full Moon will be in Cancer. The perfect time to trim for thickness.

Basically it's believing the unseen. Trying to explain something to someone that all ready has their mind made up.....is pointless.

I agree....we all believe what we believe. And if a person believes that this is not possible....then sobeit.

There are tons of articles on "cutting hair by the phases of the moon." Google it.....I'm sure tons of info will pop up.
Here's two to get started.
http://www.longhairlovers.com/moon_maintenance.html

Now after reading these......if explanation is still needed....I say don't bother. If you don't believe....fine. If you do......fine.

Happy Hair Growing Everyone.:grin:

Neither of those links say ANYTHING about the reason you have to cut to see growth.

If the moon makes your hair grow more at certain times, fine. But what is the reason that you have to cut it to see the growth?

I'm not going to stop wondering, and I have researched it before. I just want to know if people who do this know something I don't know.

Seems like for the most part... they don't. Some people seem to get irritated and defensive instead of giving me a straight answer.

Ahhhh this subject has come up again. I honestly don't think it matters :yep: Good hair care is good hair care no matter what time of the month :yep:

I agree :yep:

Puddles

On Cloud 9
Well I for one "Never" said you "have" to cut it at a certain time to see growth. Your hair grows regardless.

We cut it at certain times for the reasons posted in the articles.
Just like there are those who believe in growth aids.......there are those who believe in trimming by the moon for that extra umph.

Like I said before hun.......no matter what is said here....if your mind is made up......you will "Never" get the answer you want.

My thing is......if you don't believe......then that's fine. :)

Neith

Well I for one "Never" said you "have" to cut it at a certain time to see growth. Your hair grows regardless.

We cut it at certain times for the reasons posted in the articles.
Just like there are those who believe in growth aids.......there are those who believe in trimming by the moon for that extra umph.

Like I said before hun.......no matter what is said here....if your mind is made up......you will "Never" get the answer you want.

My thing is......if you don't believe......then that's fine. :)

but how does the cutting help exactly?

At least with growth aides, people can give you a reason behind it... even if it's psuedo science.

I want to believe... heck if someone somehow made me believe that this has a good chance of working, I'd be snipping every month, lol. Just like I wouldn't use a growth aide without researching the ingredients and side affects.

but I just can't get past the Why? and How? It's a little frustrating because it seems like no one understands why I'm even questioning it... except those who also question it, lol.

Ah well. I know I'm a pain sometimes.

poookie

this is sort of like the LOA threads. if you're not sure, do the research, and if you don't believe it, then don't come in asking all kuypes of questions; especially when you haven't done the research.

yuriko

Ok there is clearly a misunderstanding here, I think Neith is just wants an explanation of the theory that cutting your hair at certain phases of the moon will make your hair grow, and its a valid question. I am sure a lot of other people will be grateful for the information. Other grow aides are applied to the scalp and the theory is that they stimulate grow from the roots. So its confusing that cutting the ends stimulates growth

And this is not an attack against you, Puddles, But The theory of lunar hair cuts has not been explained in the thread, and if nobody knows then I guess nobody knows. But if it works for some people then great. But i have also read about this topic in the past, and was unable to find any useful explanation to it either.

Neith

this is sort of like the LOA threads. if you're not sure, do the research, and if you don't believe it, then don't come in asking all kuypes of questions; especially when you haven't done the research.

I have done research on this subject. I have never run across anything that answers my question. And I only have ONE main question, that's the part that really sucks. I thought that maybe, possibly... since people here do it, they would have some insight or info that I haven't run across before.

I wouldn't come spouting off about something I didn't even take the time to research. I'm not that nutty, now :lol:

Why can't I ask questions? :perplexed

poookie

No one said you couldn't ask questions, Neith, it's just the tone you're asking them in.

Neither of those links say ANYTHING about the reason you have to cut to see growth.

If the moon makes your hair grow more at certain times, fine. But what is the reason that you have to cut it to see the growth?

I'm not going to stop wondering, and I have researched it before. I just want to know if people who do this know something I don't know.

Seems like for the most part... they don't. Some people seem to get irritated and defensive instead of giving me a straight answer.

google the topic. i found an article a while ago that explained the process. according to this, trimming at certain times can give the illusion of thicker hair, and trimming during non-growth spurts can appear to make the hair grow longer. apparently when the moon is in certain places in the sky, that has to do with hair growth. i'm not sure about that... but read the article!!!!!!! and it'll explain.

i meant no sarcasm, smartassness, or anything negative in this post, and i hope you don't take it as such. its just that, based on my perception, instead of saying something along the lines of "that article didn't really answer my question. does anyone know for sure how this works?" you went on to make the above quote, in sort of a *slightly* accusatory manner. you also said that this contradicts what we've learned, and that it is not logical. with you already having made that decision in your mind... would anyone honestly been able to convince you otherwise? seems like you found your answer: to you, it doesn't make sense."

ETA: to sum this all up, folk may have been getting defensive, because there probably is no scientific evidence that this works, or if it works at all. and i think that's what you're looking for. i know i don't have it. but i'll be googling further, to see if i can't find some sort of answer for y'all. i'm very interested about this, too. not so much in the hair growth aspect, but more so because i need a trim anyways.

Last edited:

Puddles

On Cloud 9
Just like the question is being asked..."How Can This Be?"
Ask yourselves......"How Do You Know It Can't Be?" "Can You Prove It's Not Possible?"
I for one know it is.........I've done....seen the extra growth. I know it has something to do with the moon's pulling effect. Like when you only plant during a certain time of year/moon. The same measures taken when gardening during certain phases.......is taken when trimming the hair.
Google

It's just like faith.....Believing the unseen. And just like people saying "Prove God exists"
"Prove he doesn't." is what I say.

Google for the answer.......there are tons of info on it.
Why does it seem like we have to prove it when the answers are out there for anyone to find.

And just because lhcf says trimming hair doesn't make it grow faster....doesn't mean its "Fact"

If I did my and my daughter's hair by the word of lhcf......we wouldn't have hair.

We all have our own minds....what we choose to believe is a choice. Now if you don't believe.....then fine. But don't except an explanation every time......cause most of the time....the explanation will "Never" be enough. People always want more proof.

My proof is my hair......and that I don't have to prove to anyone. I know it works and the people that see me know it works.

I hope you all find the answers you're looking for.

For those who wanna give a try.....what do you have to lose? Only a 1/4in of hair every few months. :yep: Heck....if you don't get what you're looking for.....at least your hair will be well trimmed.

Trying to please everyone is like :deadhorse:

Once again..............Happy Hair Growing.:grin: