Adore Semi Permanent Hair Color

VALLEYGIRL

I used this on Monday in the Velvet Black shade b/c my hair has gotten way too blonde in some areas and I am not sure if I want to use a permanent dye so after my experience with the Sebastians colorshines I decided to try the Adore again in a different shade.
It took to my hair very well and my hair came out very black and shiny...almost a little too black but I know it will wash out like it did before. I blow dried with my new ion dryer (Hot Tools with the comb attachment) and I flat ironed parts of it and my hair almost looks like a wig! It looks fake. It's almost a little too perfect especially since I usually wear it wild and curly.

Someone at work even confused me with this Asian girl that works with us who has typical long, jet black straight as a board hair.

I like this look for now but in a few days I know I will be longing for my curls back!!

One drawback is this stuff really coats your hair. A stylist in the beauty supply told me this seals your cuticle as well so I really need to watch out for dryness. When I spray my jojoba oil on my ends at night (I always do when I wear my hair straight) in the morning my hair is greasy ...jojoba usually soaks right in and never leaves a greasy feel. But water based products/moisturisers like (carrot oil) seem to absorb better with this in my hair

Thank you Tracy again for recommending the Adore color. I have seen it a billion times but probably would never have tried it if it were not for you!!!
Valleygirl

Allandra

I plan on trying the Adore out as well. I have a bottle of Clairol Beautiful Collection (SEMI-PERMANENT) that I need to finish up first. I have no idea what color I'm going to try out. Since it coats the hair well, I probably won't try anything to dramatic. Black wouldn't look very good on me. Since the winter is here, my skin is back to being a little pale. There's a beauty store near my home called Beauty Max. It's the largest beauty supply store in my area (I'm talking HUGE)! They have all of the Adore colors. My hair is naturally dark brown. So, I will go with something in the brown 'area'.

SVT

Hey,

I have a color question for Tracy if she reads this thread.

I colored my hair Sunday with Textures and Tones 1B Silken Black. The color turned out nice as always but I had a bonus this time. I have deep reddish highlights in some parts of my hair. I like them and they look very nice but how did that happen? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

VALLEYGIRL

BUMPING I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW YOU GOT REDDISH HIGHLIGHTS TOO.

The Adore is pretty similar to the Colorshines in that it is a deposit only color that coats your hair to brighten or refresh your color. It will not lighten your hair color. (Tracy correct me if I am wrong)

The Colorshines for whatever reason did not take to my hair and rinsed out completely after I applied it. I had much better results with the Adore and I have used it twice.

HTH
Valleygirl

Tracy

Valleygirl,

I am thrilled the Adore worked out better for you. Again, because of the home application issues we both noticed with Colorshines (I still love it, but they gotta do it at the salon. It's like trying to spread Jello on my hair! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif) I've been using Adore alot too.

It, interestingly, doesn't have nearly as much silicone derivative as Colorshines and also has more protein - so be sure to use good moisturizing conditioners (your Pantene S&S should work fine).

I love the image of you being mistaken with someone else with that sheet of long black hair! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I actually have the same issues as you wanting to darken up for the winter - but my hair is funny in that the color doesn't always rinse completely out when I do dark ones. And I promised myself that I wouldn't go JET black again (tho I love the look) because it's too hard to lift if you want to go lighter again.
I'd love to know if you saw any deeper browns you were interested in....I need some suggestions.../images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good to hear this went better. FYI - if you weren't quite as satisfied with the Adore shine as compared to the Colorshines you could always do the Adore color and then apply a Clear Colorshines over it to seal it and give shine. Then you get the best of both worlds!

Be careful with this though if you feel the Adore already coated your hair. This coating thing doesn't happen to my hair, but based on your experience it's obviously possible - so just proceed with caution if you decide to do this and you're afraid of coating the hair too much.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tracy

SVT,

Hi /images/graemlins/grin.gif! Now - a few questions before I can guess as a cause:

1. Have you used the Silken black before? I thought so from your post but I can't be sure.......if so how long, and did you do anything at all different this time - even the smallest thing?

2. Have you done anything else to your hair besides the color either chemically or manually (only things out of the ordinary....) or used a product you don't normally use? Any rinses?

3. If you still have the box - I forget if T&T colors list this but do you see anything on the box about what the base tones are? If they are violet - then the burgundy makes sense particularly with repeated use......

Let me know girl - we'll get to the bottom of this Watson! : /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

VALLEYGIRL

Yes the Colorchines is like trying to spread Jello on your hair. That's exactly what it is like!!!
I was thinking about doing a clear Colorshines but I am going to wait b/c of my fear of coating my hair too much. (Thanks for the warning)
I have also heard that the dark colors also won't rinse completely out. But I have washed my hair last night and I can see it is already starting to lighten up a bit...which is good b/c like I said it it took almost too well to my hair.
I have heard Prell shampoo is good to lighten up permanent color so I will keep this in mind if I want to get rid of a lot of the dark color.

I also noticed that the Colorshines have more silicone ingredients that the Adore. So thats why they will probably give a better shine. I went in the trash to look at the Adore bottle but I couldn't read it b/c the letters had smudged off. I don't recall any protein but I do remember Aloe Vera and citric acid. I made sure I deep conditioned and slept with it on last night.

At the beauty suppy where I got my Adore they had a brown shade I almost bought but of course I can't remember the name right now. I 'm sure I will be in there before the weekend is over so I will report back. I didn't get it b/c I wanted to get rid of this blonde/light brown parts of my hair without getting a red/burgundy color like I got with the Mahogany!!

Tracy one last question for you. If I decided to do a permanent dye job (with Texures and Tones of course) in a month how does semi-perm react with it. I'm thinking it should be OK since Adore has no ammonia or peroxide.
But what do you think? I know with things like Henna which is all natural they say you shouldn't apply permanent dye over it b/c your hair will be damaged and break. I hope this is not the case with semi-permanent colors. Tell me what you think

TIA
Valleygirl

SVT

Okay Doc /images/graemlins/grin.gif, here are my answers:

1. I've been using silken black for a couple of months now, applying it to my natural hair. The results are great (color, shine) but the color just doesn't last that long so I apply it every couple of weeks. I haven't noticed any damage from the frequent applications.

The last time I used T&T was Sunday (12/1). I also pressed my hair that day. Previous to 12/1, I used it, mmmm....maybe a couple of weeks before, but without pressing.

2. Pressing was the difference on 12/1

3. I'm reading the box right now... and no base colors are listed.

It must have been the heat of straightening combined with the frequent applications. I've experienced green hair syndrome with the Jazzings while I was still pressing regularly and I remember you mentioning something about green hair and Jazzings in a previous post.

I absolutely love the mix of jet black and subtle burgandy highlights I got on Sunday! A pleasant surprise that I hope lasts a while!

Tracy, do you think I did any damage? I'm shocked that my hair isn't all dried and crispied from the hydrogen peroxide contained in the developer. Actually, I think the Textures and Tones is very conditioning.

Anyhoo, I'm back to being kinky/curly today. I'm trying to minimize the amount of heat I use.

I await your diagnosis. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tracy

Okay darlin' Here I am...../images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I DO think the frequent apps plus the pressing before is an issue - why?

The more you do to your hair, the more porous it becomes. If the base in the black is violet (it's usally either green or violet - I'm pretty sue it's violet in the T&T) the base will begin to show up more on more porous hair. Also - you may be experiencing a gradual permanent lightening of your natural pigment (this is what the developer is for - it lifts your natural color and then deposits the shade you selected on the box and you get a close approximation of what you see there).

You really shouldn't apply a permanent color to all of your hair as frequently as every couple of weeks. If you are finding the color fades after a few weeks I'd refresh it with dark shade of Adore or another rinse with a RED base (to eliminate the possibility of an eventual green tinge) and color every few months or so instead.

The highlights you experienced could be a sign of you gradually causing damage by consistently depleting the your hair of it's natural pigment and changing the porosity level. The heat from pressing could also have made your hair more porous. Having your hair be more porous SHOULD usually mean the color comes out DARKER but sometimes it will mean that the undertone is darker (that base color we discussed before) and the end result is a mix of the color you wanted with more of the base showing up because your hair is grabbing more of that color - with the help of the hair being in a diferent state because of the pressing.

Next time it fades use a rinse - and reapply THAT every few weeks. That's ok. Every 3 or 4 months touch up your ROOTS only with the T&T and don't press right before (or after) you color. Just to be safe.

SVT

Umkaaay. *sulking*

I don't think the Jazzings is a red-based rinsed. You have any suggestions for rinses I could safely use?

<font color="brown">Oops! I forgot you suggested Adore. Any others? </font color>

Tracy

/images/graemlins/frown.gif Sowwy darlin'......

I don't know of anything off-hand - I'm most familiar with the Clorshines bases - but I'm taking a trip to the BS soon and I'll check out the Adore rinses for you and recommend one. K? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jazzing isn't the best brand IMO. It's ok - it can be used. But I'd prefer to see you use Adore or Sebastian. But Sebastian is harder to apply at home. The Jazzing will be rinsed out before you can blink and will be all over your pillow. The others do rinse out - but not as quickly and the rinse out isn't triggered at all by simple sweating or humidity whereas it is with Jazzing. Actaully now that I think of it You COULD mix colors to get the result you want. Adore in the Black VG mentioned initially and a splash of a red in the Adore line - Paprika or something like that should work. Do about a 3:1 ratio. Adding a little bit of a nice true red will counteract any green or violet tones nicely.

Lemme check on it and I'll get back to you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="red"> OH! and I DON'T think you did a LOT of damage but maybe just a little. Nothing you can't head off with a good protein conditioner every two weeks or so following by a good moisturizing conditioner. But you should be doing this anyway. But no damage was done that you should fling yourself off a bridge over! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Condition, condition, condition and DON"T apply your color again until February the earliest! Rinses not included,,,, Also try Sebastian in Liquid Amber if you are ready to tackle that. Not dark enough for you? Mix with Coffee Bean. Just a touch - but be aware of the application issues and VG's experiences with it on natural hair. </font color>

VALLEYGIRL

Tracy
My goodness you are so knowledgeable about color!!!
All the info you just typed it took me days of internet searches to find out.
Don't forget about my little question regarding permanent color over the semi-perm and how long should I wait before doing this?

Also if a hair dye is a dark color like a black or dark brown why does it need a developer? I thought you only needed one only if you were going lighter like blonde or highlighting/
Valleygirl

Tracy

VG,

I didn't see that question! /images/graemlins/blush.gif Sorry - my bad...and thanks for the compliment about my color knowledge base. /images/graemlins/grin.gif You can thank Shamboosie and years of jacking my hair up with color LOL! for that. I screwed it up so many times that I finally learned to get it right....I was looking CRAZY on many an occasion! But enough about l'il ole me - back to the problem at hand....

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
permanent color over the semi-perm...how long should I wait before doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say wait a month. You have no other chemicals to be concerned about (I mean a relaxer here) and the permanent color is a harsher chemical (uses a higher volume developer). I'd give your hair about a month to recover from the semi-permanent color and then do the permie color. Now if you mean the Adore as a semi perm - that's different. The advice I gave above was more for colors like Bigen, Clairol Instincts or L'oreal Casting Color Spa - colors of that ilk that DO use a developer in the process. Adore uses NO developer to do it's work - so you could conceivably do a permie color TOMORROW without a problem. But me being ultra cautious ) I'd still wait two weeks. Let it rinse out some so you aren't adding the base colors of the semipermanent to the mix - you might have a base color "clash" that creates a result you don't like. Just to be safe.....

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
if a hair dye is a dark color like a black or dark brown why does it need a developer? I thought you only needed one only if you were going lighter like blonde or highlighting

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if you want it to last on you (and I use the term "last" loosely here - we all know how some permanent colors do!) you need to have the color penetrate to the cortex and the only way to send the pigment that far into the hair shaft is to force it through the cuticle - with a developer. Think of the developer as a crowbar - it prys the cuticle open (and takes out some or all of your own color, depending on how high a volume it is - as is the case with the lighter colors and highlights you mentioned) and deposits the synthetic shade. For this reason if you want a permanent result - and not just the staining of the cuticle - you need a developer. Using heat is a safer way to get under the cuticle but it still won't do the work of a developer. You get a little longer lasting result but only by about 2-3 weeks. That's why these drugstore brand demi-permanent colors that last 12-24 shampoos are a great option for going darker with less damage - because they use a 10 volume developer (not nearly as damaging as the 20 or 30 or 40 used in some forumlations of permie color) and are a safer option. But because the developer is so mild it won't create the lift to blond or red that a higher developer will help achieve.

HTH /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tracy

VG,

Just read the post you were referring to (I was posting before I read the whole thread again) and since you do mean the Adore you are right - you shouldn't have any problem. I'd still wait two weeks. Rather than using the Prell tho (very alkaline - not so good for the hair) pick up a bottle of clairol Metalex - that will take the Adore out for the most part and give you a clean slate. It's a non-damaging oil with polymers that bind to the color particles in the semi-permanent color and pull it from the cuticle.

I don't think darker colors not coming out is a universal thing -I just think my hair is pretty porous and grabs color like a long lost friend! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I think that part's just me - here's the Adore ingredients - so you have them for reference...

deionized water, aloe vera, citric acid (used to acidify the hair and "seal" the cuticle) , hydrolyzed collagen (that's the protein) octoxynol-9, hydroxymethylproplycellulose, ppg-1 peg 9 laurl geicoleither, methylcolorisothiazolinone, methylisothianzolinoine, propylene glycol, sodium citrate, fragrance.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VALLEYGIRL

Thank you Tracy
I appreciate the ingredient list.. once again you've come through for me!!!
I will try the Metalex if I find that the color is sticking around longer than I like. But I already used Prell when I washed again this morning before work. I noticed a little bit of dark color in the rinse water but not much. The color is now not as harsh. I also made sure I used my deep conditioner to combat some of the dryness b/c this shampoo is very strong.

The reason I am so paranoid and anal about having it on my hair too long is b/c I feel that coating the hair for too long will cause damage similar to when you wear acrilylic nails for too long...your real nail becomes dry and damaged. I don't know how true it is but this is the comparison I am making in my mind!
The stylist who does the hair where I work told me that it will all eventually wash out. Especially since I am not relaxed my cuticle should not hold onto the color as long as relaxed hair.
Thanks so much Tracy!!!!
Sorry I have so many questions even after I colored.

I will pick up some Metalex on my way home this evening and just keep it to see if I need it.
Thanks again!!!
Valleygirl

chicamorena

How do you all apply the adore color? Meaning do you use a brush or just spread it one with your hands (covered with gloves)?

JenJen2721

Here's how I apply my Adore...

1. Wash and condition. Towel dry hair.

2. Apply Adore w/fingers...cover w/plastic cap.

3. Sit under dryer for 30 minutes. Keep on additional 10 minutes without heat.

4. Wash and condition again.

IIRC, That's how Tracy told me to do it, and it works well for me this way.

I just did a red rinse w/Adore Crimson and it came out really pretty.

Thanks Tracy!

sithembile

Jen, whats your natural hair colour? When I've tried a reddish Adore rinse it didn't even show up in sunlight, my hair is off darkest brown/off black.

chicamorena

Thanks Jen! I just have one more question. When you do your first wash and condition, do you do just one wash and then a quick condition? Or do you do a good wash, deep condition, apply color, then another quick wash and instant condition? Sorry if this is a little confusing. I just want to make sure I have everything right because I'm gonna apply an Adore color this weekend.

Tracy

Do a deep conditioner if you have time Rica...the color acts as a barrier against manual damage for a few washes. That's a good thing, but some worry that the conditoners they use in that time won't penetrate as well. I've never had that happen - but to be safe I always do my deep conditioner FIRST, rinse, then apply the color, rinse, and then apply a quick detangler. It's a process - but it works really well on me.

HTH.

lunalight7

Tracy, since you're the color guru...!

I re-did my hilights before Xhristmas and they didnt turn out light enough...I loke them to be blonde but they only lifted to a brassy orange color and I hate them. Since I only re-do them every 9 months or so, I was wondering if there was a way to get them into the blonde family...like an Adore rinse in a very light blonde shade...what do you think?

Tracy

Mmmmmmm....

That's gonna be hard. Once the hair lifts to a given level - that's that on how LIGHT they'll be. You COULD darken them though....to a sandy shade....

They'd be slightly darker - BUT you WOULD get rid of the brassiness.

Tracy

Hands down....mix honey wheat with golden walnut.

Sebastian - claro...

I use about a 3 to 1 ratio - Honey Wheat to Golden Walnut.

So it's more yellow than brown. The undertone in the walnut will tone down the brassiness though.

If you wanted to you could also just use a blond rinse with an ASH base. Mixing can be scary sometimes - so if you're nervous we can figure it out.

What brand of rinse do you like generally....?

lunalight7

I think Id like to try the Adore since sebastians sounds hard to do at home...maybe I can check it on a strand of hilited hair in the back or something...the Honey Wheat and Golden Walnut are Sebastians shades? Or Adore?

Tracy

A strand test in the back sounds fab.

Those are Seb. shades. -- let me get back to you on the Adore.

They have a broader color range - so you mayn't have to mix.

I have to see the colors though. There are too many for me to memorize them like I have Sebastian.