Freezing Relaxer - Common Practice?

Freezing Left-over Relaxer:

• Total voters

Lexib

Just curious as to how many of you ladies save left over relaxer by freezing it (...or do you even save it at all)? If so, did the relaxer lose any of it's potency or have any negative affects on your hair? Keep in mind, I'm talking about relaxer that has already been mixed w/ activator.

I have some phyto that I've been storing in the freezer for a while b/c I've been too afraid to use it & I was wondering if I should chuck it...:ohwell:

kblc06

My mom used to store old relaxer in the fridge; but since neither of us relax our hair any more, there's no need. It typically worked just fine, but I don't think it had already been mixed with activator :ohwell:

LaReyna756

I have refrigerated a relaxer too, for a few days after it was mixed. I have never frozen one though... It may be okay if you thaw it in the fridge or at room temp.

LaReyna756

If anything, I think it may not process as well, like you suggested. But I do not think it would hurt your hair.

Lava27

Something pretty bad happened to my edges when I tried to relax just them (another bad idea) with pre-mixed Phyto relaxer that had been in the fridge for about a month. I think though, if it is not already mixed and activated, then it may be fine. I'd see what others have to say though!

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
Ive never saved already mixed relaxer because im to scared
I would rather just waste five dollars.

my thoughts exactly! it will be cheaper to buy a new relaxer than it would be to buy all the products to repair damaged hair. i guess im more worried about it because its a practice i've never heard of. in the future you can probably get two uses out of it though if you only mix half at a time

Seven7

I do this all the time. When I get ready to use it again I mix it with the new relaxer. I have never had any ill effect from doing this. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Lexib

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I should say that I didn't just come up w/ this technique on my own. I read about it somewhere...maybe here?

Lexib

my thoughts exactly! it will be cheaper to buy a new relaxer than it would be to buy all the products to repair damaged hair. i guess im more worried about it because its a practice i've never heard of. in the future you can probably get two uses out of it though if you only mix half at a time

Very good point!! :yep:

vkb247

I use lye relaxer so there is no mixing but I just have my relaxer in a drawer with the rest of my hair products. I leave it in there for months and never noticed a difference between the old stuff or the new relaxer. Been doing this for years with chemicals. I never knew anyone froze it or put it in the fridge.

Avia62

I've been freezing relaxer for years with no problem. I'm just relaxing the new growth that does not take the entire container so I just freeze it and thaw it when I am ready to relax new growth. I heard about this years ago and thought I'd try it and I have never had an adverse reaction from using it. As with everything here on LHCF what works for some won't work for all, what some will do others won't. Peace Ladies!!

aquajoyice

I use to save my relaxer a long long time ago, but now I just buy a new one on every application. I stopped back in the day becuase I noticed my relaxer never took the way I wanted it to on the second round. But now I just can't stand the strong chemical smell from a realxer that has been sitting for 2-3 months.

Kellum

I emailed a company asking about this and was told that any relaxer that is not used within 24 hours of mixing should be thrown away. I always throw mine away just to be on the safe side. I'd rather do that than be bald or have a really bad reaction.

SEMO

When I was relaxed I used to store my leftover lye relaxer in the refrigerator. I'm not even sure where I got that idea from. But I never had a problem with it.

Prudent1

I refrigerate left over relaxer that has already been mixed with activator and have never had any problems. I have done this for years.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I buy the tubs of pre-mixed relaxer and I have both kept it in the bathroom with the rest of my products and put it in the fridge with no problems. I've been doing this as long as I can remember. I never buy relaxers that I have to mix and throw away. I don't think you can save those.