Thermal Reconditioning Pics of Black Hair

Radiance

Hi LHCF

I'm yet another newbie and wanted to say this board is the greatest and I'm happy to be a part of the LHCF. I'm a member of other hairforums but this is the most informative and friendliest to me by far. I was looking into different relaxer techniques and the Japanese hair straightening system known as, Thermal Reconditioning. Here is a pic of a black woman who has had the treatment. I have seen pics of black women who have had this process and this one was the clearest to present. Here is more information about black hair and thermal reconditioning. Some websites say black women can't receive this service, but if Oprah and Janet Jackson received it and their are in category 4 as far as hairtexture is concerned, I believe anyone can get it, as long as your hair is healthy to begin with. The consultation is very important. Here is the website about Oprah and Janet Jackson getting this procedure done. Look under "what it costs".

There is a big misconception that black women can't have this procedure done, but as you can see, her hair is simply gorgeous! Oprah wrongly informed her audience that this procedure won't work on black hair. It won't work on hair that has been processed with sodium hydroxide because the system uses thioglycotate? to get the job done. I even saw a pic of a black girl with 4b type hair and she and she had it done. When I find the site again, I will post it.

I'm actually thinking of getting this procedure done since it ranges anywhere from $200-$800 depending on hair length, texture, and so on. I figured I spend alot of money a year on haircare products that approximate this range anyway, so why not give it a try? I thought I would share this information since I've benefitted greatly from all of you who have shared all your wonderful haircare tips!Those tips have made my haircare journey all the more better!

HHG!
*Radiance*

iris

Welcome to the forum Radiance
! That link is so informative!
I didn't think TR was for black hair but that site proved me wrong. I can always appreciate a newebies contribution from off the bat and I thank you for posting the link.

Radiance

Thanks for the welcome Iris! I'm excited that I joined LHCF because I can see I'm in the company of some very knowledgeable ladies when it comes to haircare

adrienne0914

welcome to the board, radiance!

i think i'll leave that procedure to those whose pockets are heavily lined. even if i bought a new product every week, i don't think i'd spend anywhere near $800 in a year. and i'd have to spend the money on this procedure every time i need a retouch, right?

even if it's something that can be done to our hair, i can't imagine any benefit that would justify such a high cost. i'm speaking only for myself, of course. please let us know how it goes if you do it though!

adrienne

Radiance

Thanks for the welcome Adrienne. Actually, since my hair is cut short, the range for me would be $200 If we can spend hundreds of dollars on weaves, and/or going to the salon to pay close to and well over a hundred to get our hair done, and many of us go on a bi-weekly or monthly visit, not to mention buying various haircare products, vitamins, minerals, etc. I dont see the difference in getting this done twice yearly. It all adds up the same to me. And it seems much healthier than the regular relaxer procedures

adrienne0914

i guess because i only get a retouch three times a year and pay $40 for each, i'd have a hard time paying even $200 for this procedure. it seems DIFFERENT from regular relaxer procedures, but i'd say the jury is out on whether it's healthier.

having it done twice a year, what will you do with your new growth in between retouches?

Radiance

I have a very soft hairtexture so new growth is really not a problem for me. I just want straighter hair. Sodium hydroxide corrodes the hair by melting the outer part of the hairshaft. This system infuses protein into the hair along with the process, making hair much stronger and the alignment of the hairshaft is not damaged the way sodium hydroxide products destroy the hair. Sodium hydroxide totally destroys the outer hair shaft but this process builds it.

LuvableLady

Hi, I posted this picture awhile back when there was another thread going about TR not being for African Americans. Someone was offended when they saw this question and answer on a website that offers TR:

Question:
"What kind of hair is suitable for Thermal Reconditioning?"

Answer:
"Most hair types except African (sorry, the hair is too fragile and cannot withstand the heat) will work well for Thermal Reconditioning"

They went on to say if you have mixed African hair mixed with any other race that makes it stronger (their words exactly) you can have the process done.

What I think they meant to say (based on the pic you posted) is that anyone with a relaxer should not have this process done. Most people who have relaxers happen to be African American so they just put us all into one group thinking we all use relaxers. I think it would be fine for a person who does not have a relaxer, regardless of race. I read somewhere that TR and relaxers don't mix, it has something to do with the chemicals, it could react and cause hairloss. I would never get TR anyway. Additionally, a person with a relaxer would not have a need for TR, their hair is already straight so it doesn't make sense to me.

Nova

Radiance:

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the information on Thermal Reconditioning. I saw Oprah's show that day. She "emphatically stated" this system is not for African-Americans! Now she has one?

Once again, welcome!

Radiance

Hi Luvablelady,

I just posted this info in my first thread. And someone with a hydroxide relaxer shouldn't get this because the two chemicals would cause hairloss. The information you posted came from one source. I used this photo to show that black people can get this process too. Most salons operating with common sense will give someone a consultation before commencing with this service. Not all salons say that about black hair because many I called service black customers.

Radiance

I'm definately going to post this when I find the article. Obviously, anyone looking at the young lady feautured can see that she's black. And I said I saw other photos of black people with this so Oprah was very misinformed. I'm black and if I say salon owners told me they service black people, what would she say to that?

LuvableLady

You seem very knowledgeable on the subject and actually make it sound appealing.
If you can, please post pictures after you have it done. I'd love to see.

If I'm not mistaken, you may be one of the first members to have this process done.

PS: I knew we could get TR (thanks for confirming) but I'm committed to my natural journey and way to cheap to have this process done.

Radiance

Luvablelady I have to get a digit camera or webcam for that. But you can believe I would love to show photos once I receive this service

G

This was oh so very informative Radiance! And welcome to the forum
I kind of
because Oprah goes on her show and says nationally and internationally that this system is not for black hair?! Then she goes out and gets it! Anyway, I think the woman does a grave disservice to black people as a whole sometimes. That is my opinion. Thanks again for the links! They certainly put down alot of misconceptions!

Radiance

Thanks for the welcome Seamist. I read your post on why you chose this name. Being that I'm a nature lover also, the read was educational as well as very nice

VALLEYGIRL

Hi Radience and welcome...

I would be very careful with this procedure. I can see that you have done your research and know that a consultation is important but this is a process that uses a chemical in addition to mega amounts of heat.
To me personally this justs sounds scary. And even though they say that the chemicals build up the hair shaft and add protein and whatnot the thio chemical rearranges the sulphur bonds in the hair shaft in a similar way that lye based relaxers do. Thio is also very drying...it was the chemical used in the Jherri Curl process I believe and that is way peopel with a Jherri curl had to add so much activator and spray and sleep with a cap to keep the moisture in the hair after the Thio was applied.

This is just a word of caution. I wish you nothing but the best if you decide to do this. I would hate to see anyone loose their hair over greedy stylists trying to sell a service..ya know?

Valleygirl

PS I know its late and I have had a very long day ..but where is the pic of the black girl? I dont see her for some reason.

VALLEYGIRL

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
PS I know its late and I have had a very long day ..but where is the pic of the black girl? I dont see her for some reason

[/ QUOTE ]

nevamind...I see her now!!!

at the top of the page it says something about Jill Scott ..new technique to straighten curly hair.

I was like WHAT! Jill Scott thermally reconditioned her hair?
But that is the reporter's name...DUH...liek I said it's late&gt;&gt;&gt;

Radiance

Thanks for the welcome Valleygirl. Family and friends alike think a person has to be crazy to pay this kind of money for a hair treatment. This process has really intrigued me though, but my family says aint that much "intriguing in the world" to spend this kind of money on a chemical service
Now I'm going to have to show them these posts and have them try and "talk sense" into me some more. After all, that money could be used for rent or whatever right? Actually, like I was telling Adrienne, I know people who drop this amount in a month going to the beauticians, purchasing products, etc. I don't know. Time will tell what I'll do, but if someone can recommend to me the use of a better chemical system, then I'm all ears!

BrightEyes

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
VALLEYGIRL said:
I would be very careful with this procedure. I wish you nothing but the best if you decide to do this. I would hate to see anyone loose their hair over greedy stylists trying to sell a service..ya know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. People are greedy and just want your money. I'm actually surprised Oprah did this because she had her hair burned off by a person who lied about their abilities as a stylist.

There are only two reasons that I wouldn't want to get this done. For one is that type 3c and 4a/b hair is very obvious when it grows in, and everytime you have this procedure done you pay full price. There is no "touch up price". I can't see having 3c/4a/4b not being really obvious when it grows back. And what are you supposed to do then? Pay all that money for an few inches of hair? (If someone can answer this I'd appriciate it. I've only met one Black person who had this done and she was a 3b.)

Second, they are very "iffy" about Black hair being able to do this. If people can't decide, then I stear clear because that means there is something going on that I may not want to be apart of.

Most of the Black women I've seen that get good results are not 4a/b women. And I think that's why they say stuff like "Softer Black Hair" or "African Hair mixed with other types". Just because you see a sista doing XYZ with her hair doesn't mean that you can follow suit. I learned that the hard way when I first when natural.

G

Re: Thermal Reconditioning Pics of Black Hair *DELETED*

Post deleted by SeaMist

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I agree with Bright Eyes--I don't think this procedure is a good idea for someone with really kinky hair.

IIRC, Andre' said Oprah is a 4b. Her regular relaxer looked very nice, to me...
I hope she doesn't plan on having it done only 2x-3x per year. Her new growth is gonna be a **** to deal with.
But she can afford to shell out $800-$1000 every 10 weeks. I'm amazed at how she manages to keep such a healthy looking head of hair with the daily heat styling!

I thought Julia Robert's hair was looking smaller these days.