Anyone taking Collagen supplement?

Mamamia

I know in Japan, its popular for younger looking skin and beautiful hair. You can even order it in restaraunts there. We sell it in my health store for the same reasons but also for bone and joint health. I was wondering if anyone here has used it for hair growth and if they have noticed a difference.

msa

I've never taken the supplement. Though sometimes I do drink aloe vera juice and that has a good amount of collagen protein in it. Also, I use aloe vera on my hair and collagen protein is supposed to great for increasing elasticity of the hair.

deontaer

I've been taking gelatin, a form of collogen, for years for nail health. A few years ago before I was all into my hair, I was taking the pills as another form of protein to supplement my work out regimen, and my hair was growing very fast. I take so many vitamins now, including the gelatin, I couldn't tell you which one is doing the job, but I was able to reach wl from apl in about 18 mos.

hillytmj

I've never heard of collagen for hair growth; I thought it was strictly for skin. I'm interested in learning more about this.

Aggie

I just started taking it myself not even a month yet and I will be able to see how well it goes in about 3-6 months before I make a decision on how well it works on myhair. The first thing I have noticed is it's efficacy on my skin. It is just plain smooth, clean and pretty to me. It always was but it has gotten even better since taking the collagen IMO.

I got mine from www.vitacost.com. Make sure to take Hyaluronic Acid with it. The one I have are called Neocell Super Collagen + C Type 1&3 and I take NSI Hyaluronic Acid 100mg with it. They should be taken on an empty stomach - 30 minutes before eating and/or before bed.

mariofmagdal

I have taken it before. Sorry cannot report specific results because I took other supplements along side it. I started on Chlorella/Spirulina and got super results so I stopped when I ran out.

Aggie

Mamamia, check out his link and scroll all the way down for the reviews by users:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VA3GFU/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

This is a pic of the bottle I have and I bought mine from amazon but vitacost has it as well:

Product Features

• Helps and Repairs Ligaments, Tendons and connective tissues for improved elasticity, enhanced circulation in blood vessels and promotes wound healing and a clearer complextion
  • Corrects weak, broken, split ridged and damaged nail beds,
  • Thickens Fine Hair, adds body and slows down hair loss,
  • Builds lean muscle to help burn fat while you sleep.
  • 100% Pure and Natural, Total Body Health, 350 Tablets
Product Description

Product Description
Collagen is a complex structural protein that maintains strength and flexibility of skin, ligaments, bones, joints, muscles, tendons, gums, teeth, eyes, blood vessels, nails, and hair. Super Collagen Type I & III is a 100% pure collagen protein that provides the major building materials for growth and maintenance of a healthy body. When Super Collagen is taken internally, the body receives the raw materials it needs to supplement the collagen found in all of these areas. Super Collagen + C is enzymatically processed into its amino acid form with a very low molecular weight, which can be utilized 100% by the body. Super Collagen + C tablets are formulated with Vitamin C to provide optimum supplementation of your dietary collagen needs. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

HTH!

fitnessmommy

I am also taking Neocell Super Collagen + C Type 1&3 in the pill form. I do know that they also offer a powder.

Just as an FYI - they sell this product at Costco and there is a $4 off coupon in this months coupon book.

Lebiya

I've been taking gelatin, a form of collogen, for years for nail health. A few years ago before I was all into my hair, I was taking the pills as another form of protein to supplement my work out regimen, and my hair was growing very fast. I take so many vitamins now, including the gelatin, I couldn't tell you which one is doing the job, but I was able to reach wl from apl in about 18 mos.

Thats very impressive!

I bought Gelatin a a few weeks ago and started adding it to my regime after finding out it thicken the hair by 30-40%...but it made my shake clump up almost immediately after adding it...so I stopped.

Does anyone know how to stop it from clumping? ...I want to add it to my drink soo bad.

Aggie

Thats very impressive!

I bought Gelatin a a few weeks ago and started adding it to my regime after finding out it thicken the hair by 30-40%...but it made my shake clump up almost immediately after adding it...so I stopped.

Does anyone know how to stop it from clumping? ...I want to add it to my drink soo bad.

I don't take the powder Lebiya, I am taking it in pill form because I was concerned about this same thing happening to me. I do however add gelatin powder to my shampoo and conditioner.

I heat up the gelatin in the microwave for a few seconds in a little water to soften it up first, then add it to the shampoo and conditioner before adding the mixture to my hair. That's the way I use gelatin, not collagen.

msa

I don't take the powder Lebiya, I am taking it in pill form because I was concerned about this same thing happening to me. I do however add gelatin powder to my shampoo and conditioner.

I heat up the gelatin in the microwave for a few seconds in a little water to soften it up first, then add it to the shampoo and conditioner before adding the mixture to my hair. That's the way I use gelatin, not collagen.

Aggie, what have your results been by adding gelatin to your shampoo/conditioner? Have you seen improvement over time?

I've been researching it and from what I've read it does help make the hair stronger because all it is is hydrolyzed collagen. But I couldn't really find out if gets completely rinsed off once you rinse out your shampoo/conditioner. That's why I'm thinking of adding it to my moisturizer instead of my conditioner.

Last edited:

Aggie

Aggie, what have your results been by adding gelatin to your shampoo/conditioner? Have you seen improvement over time?

I've been researching it and from what I've read it does help make the hair stronger because all it is is hydrolyzed collagen. But I couldn't really find out if gets completely rinsed off once you rinse out your shampoo/conditioner. That's why I'm thinking of adding it to my moisturizer instead of my conditioner.

MSA, when I got about 5 months into relaxer stretch, I was having so much breakage at the demarcation line, I couldn't stand it anymore and since I heard so much about gelatin, I decided to add it to my Poos/Cons.

The first thing I noticed is my hair virtually stopped breaking after about 3 wash and conditioning with it. It is also now quite strong, I don't see a lot of broken hairs all over the floor anymore and the texture feels a bit thicker too. I will continue to use it as long as I stretch.

On another note, I found a poo and conditioner that contains gelatin in them and you can find them on http://www.planetrx.com/search/index.cfm?query=tresemme+vitamin+b12+gelatin site:www.PlanetRx.com.

I haven't ordered them as yet but I am tempted to. I was in no real hurry because of my own home made gelatin poo and conditioner. I use the gelatin brand by Kroger in the orange and white box. 32 packs are in the box.

ETA: As far as adding it to a moisturizer, I don't know If I'd do that. I would recommend a patch test first and see what happens before emersing my whole head in it.

Last edited:

msa

MSA, when I got about 5 months into relaxer stretch, I was having so much breakage at the demarcation line, I couldn't stand it anymore and since I heard so much about gelatin, I decided to add it to my Poos/Cons.

The first thing I noticed is my hair virtually stopped breaking after about 3 wash and conditioning with it. It is also now quite strong, I don't see a lot of broken hairs all over the floor anymore and the texture feels a bit thicker too. I will continue to use it as long as I stretch.

On another note, I found a poo and conditioner that contains gelatin in them and you can find them on http://www.planetrx.com/search/index.cfm?query=tresemme+vitamin+b12+gelatin site:www.PlanetRx.com.

I haven't ordered them as yet but I am tempted to. I was in no real hurry because of my own home made gelatin poo and conditioner. I use the gelatin brand by Kroger in the orange and white box. 32 packs are in the box.

ETA: As far as adding it to a moisturizer, I don't know If I'd do that. I would recommend a patch test first and see what happens before emersing my whole head in it.

Thanks for replying!!

I've been reading a lot about it stopping breakage and making the hair stronger and that's exactly what I want. The only thing my favorite conditioner is missing is a real protein so maybe I'll just try adding the gelatin to that. I'm just worried that rinsing it out won't give it enough time to really adhere to the cuticle.

If I do add it to my moisturizer, I'll definitely do a patch test. And it will only be a little bit. I'm planning to just get some unflavored gelatin from the grocery store since it's not expensive and I already have a favorite conditioner.

Hopefully I'll have good results. I'm glad you like it.

LadyPaniolo

I've recently begun taking gelatin capsules, 3x per day. It's food grade gelatin, but I don't have to worry about mixing it into anything and having it clump up. I take it with food.

Even if it doesn't help with hair strength/growth/thickness it'll still be good for my nails, which I would just love. I refuse to wear fake nails, so hopefully I can keep my natural nails nice and long with the gelatin.

ycj1

Boy! Do I hate seeing anything concerning vitamins! These will be the last vitamins I will soon purchase. I know for a fact that knox geletin drink in the powder form worked miracles for my nails yrs ago! I had no idea at the time to even think twice it was also affecting my hair growth! Really was'nt paying any attention. But come to think of it, it did! No more new vitamins for me after these!!!!!:nono:

LadyPaniolo

^^^ can we hold you to that? lol! I'm a vitamin junkie myself, I totally understand. I keep hearing good things about chlorella? (sp) I may have to buy some....

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I just started taking it myself not even a month yet and I will be able to see how well it goes in about 3-6 months before I make a decision on how well it works on myhair. The first thing I have noticed is it's efficacy on my skin. It is just plain smooth, clean and pretty to me. It always was but it has gotten even better since taking the collagen IMO.

I got mine from www.vitacost.com. Make sure to take Hyaluronic Acid with it. The one I have are called Neocell Super Collagen + C Type 1&3 and I take NSI Hyaluronic Acid 100mg with it. They should be taken on an empty stomach - 30 minutes before eating and/or before bed.

I take these at least 30 minutes before breakfast and lunch, but I think I'll start taking them 30 min before lunch and dinner.

kweenameena

Thats very impressive!

I found this collagen drink on Amazon and it has great reviews. The description says that it doesn't change even if you heat it so this one might work in your shakes.

It's called Meiji: http://www.amazon.com/Meiji-Amino-C...6-4155338?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1265908393&sr=8-1

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!

Thanks so much for this. Can you tell me why taking NSI Hyaluronic Acid along with the Collagen is beneficial? I haven't been taking the HA.

Also, will taking HA with the Collagen before bed cause any side effects?

Thanks so much!!

Coffee

I've been taking NeoCell Super Collagen & C Type 1 & 3 for the past month. I have seen a difference in my hair, skin and nail growth.

I got a bottle of this from Costco. There are 350 tablets; it says it's good for :

repairing ligaments & tendons
thickens fine hair
strengthens nails
promotes healthy skin
helps with weight control

soonergirl

uh huh yeah im bumping this ole thread up.. where my collagen taking ladies at??? anyone?? Im taking marine collagen anyone else???