Correct way to take out a sew-in?

ellebelle88

Can someone tell me the way they take out a sew-in in order to do the least amount of damage in the process? EVERYTIME I take out my sew-in, I feel like I am breaking my hair off. I see little broken strands everywhere. And no matter how much I try to detangle, it still ends up getting matted in places and I have to cut it or rip it apart.

I know that putting conditioner on my hair after taking out the braids is a no-no. I thought it would work, but it just made my hair mat up even more! Worst idea ever.

Can anyone provide me some tips? I've read about using oil. Will that work? How do I use it and what kind of oil to use? Any other advice?

Tiye

My tips are have someone to help you especially when cutting the thread. The chances of accidentally cutting your hair are very high in the parts where the ends of braids were stitched down.

I'd put conditioner on the braids and let it soak for a while before i began unravelling the braids. If you have a moisturizing leave in that can work too. They also have take down sprays, etc., that you can buy but you can also just put some water and conditioner in a spray bottle. Work slowly and use your fingers to pull apart matting and tangles. Braid or twist up your hair in big sections before you wash it - don't wash it loose.

simone103

I think the best thing to use are those "un-braid or weave take-down" sprays. That spray works better for me than using conditioner to unravel the braids.

SuchaLady

Please don't use conditioner. That's just like wetting it with water. I have read that EVOO is a good oil to use.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

Last edited:

Chanteuse

I spray curl activator on the cornrows as I am taking them down. This helps to soften and moisturize the hair so that it is not snapping and breaking from the dryness and manipulation but doesn't wet it to the extent that water would. Also, detangle each cornrow and remove shed hair and build up as you take it out. Good luck!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I like using an oil on my cornrows while taking them down

naturalmanenyc

Ditto on using oil. I had a mess on my hands when I tried to take down a weave with conditioner.

Also, how are you taking care of your hair underneath the weave? It reads like your hair may need some moisture since you see a lot of little broken strands while taking out your weave. When in a weave (crochet braids usually) I spray a leave-in mix on my cornrows under the weave to make sure my own hair is moisturized.

ellebelle88

I spray curl activator on the cornrows as I am taking them down. This helps to soften and moisturize the hair so that it is not snapping and breaking from the dryness and manipulation but doesn't wet it to the extent that water would. Also, detangle each cornrow and remove shed hair and build up as you take it out. Good luck!

Chanteuse, what kind of curl activator do you use?

ellebelle88

Ditto on using oil. I had a mess on my hands when I tried to take down a weave with conditioner.

Also, how are you taking care of your hair underneath the weave? It reads like your hair may need some moisture since you see a lot of little broken strands while taking out your weave. When in a weave (crochet braids usually) I spray a leave-in mix on my cornrows under the weave to make sure my own hair is moisturized.

I know I need to do a better job taking care of my hair underneath but when I try to put stuff in it, it creates a HORRIBLE smell. I wash my hair once a week and I put conditioner in my hair and leave it in till the next week. I know that's not enough though because my hair is as dry as the dickens by Day 2.

What do you put in your leave-in mix?