How often do you wash your hair with extensions?

lovelexi

I'm looking into getting a sew-in this year but I'd like to know how often do you wash your hair? How exactly do you get your scalp clean with a sew-in? And how long do you keep the weave in?

amwcah

I only wear curly sew ins. I usually leave it in up to 2 months. I wash it prior to the sew in. I fear my new growth getting matted, knotted, and tangled; so I don't wash it. Calm me nasty if you want, but I get progress and my hair doesn't smell. My scalp stays pretty clean since I'm not applying product directly to it.

Chameleonchick

Uh, since I get bored easily now I usually keep them in for no longer than 6 weeks. I would only wash a weave once a week to minimize the chance of matting.

bride91501

Somewhere around here, Ediese has a fabulous thread with A-Z tips on how to care for your hair while in a sew-in. It's the first regimen I used when I first joined. I'm sure you'll be able to locate it with a search.

To answer your questions:

How exactly do you get your scalp clean with a sew-in? Ediese suggested diluting your shampoo (and conditioner) with water and using a spray bottle. Spray the diluted poo or conditioner directly to your scalp and braids, and gently clean and rinse. Same concept with DC'ing- dilute it and spray directly on your braids/hair. I DC'd under a plastic cap and scarf while working out. I shampoo'd, conditioned and DC'd once/week.

And how long do you keep the weave in? I kept mine in for 6 weeks. In the Ediese's thread, she suggested not keeping it in for longer than 12 weeks. Personally, I think 10 weeks, with proper care, should be the max.

Remember to also moisturize and seal your braids/hair regularly while you're in the weave. And oh- if your weave hair starts to get too shiny from the moisturizing and sealing, a little powder combed through the weave hair will cure that.

I got 1.5" of growth during the 6 weeks I was in the weave. Good luck!

Last edited:

beana

I wash my hair every 2 weeks with a sew in. I leave my weaves in for 7-9 weeks at a time and havent had any trouble with matting or anything. I use an ACV rinse to really get my scalp clean on wash day. I also dilute my shampoo and conditioner per the method above.

glamazon386

Once a week. Sometimes once every two weeks if I'm being lazy. I wash it in the shower the same way I wash my own hair. I typically keep my weaves in for 8 to 10 weeks. I've gone as long as 12 in the past with no problems though. I've never had any problems with matting or massive tangling upon removal.

afrikurl

Never had a sew in but when I did crochet braids, which are similar, every two weeks, I co washed. I kept them in for 8 weeks.

mscocopuff

Very important, when you are washing your new sew in, do not rub the hair between your hands. If you rub your extensions, it will definitely mat and will have to be removed. You will want to smooth the shampoo down the length of the hair with yours hands in a sideways praying position. The shower is the best place to do it, and every week or two weeks should suit you just fine.

I wash my hair every Saturday without fail. If i don't i'll end up scratching my scalp like a mad woman. I tend to leave my extensions in for 3-4 months and i never suffer from matting. I usually dilute my shampoo and put it in an applicator bottle with the small tip so i can actually apply the shampoo directly to my scalp. Dunno if this helps but i spray my leave in on my tracks and i use Sensationnel Goddess Remi