Getting A Perm Right After Braids???

HairFanatic01

There was a post on here earlier about getting a perm right after you've had braids, but see I gave my advice to one of the ladies on here and I was wondering what the rest of you thought about it.....

STEPS:

1)Leave cornrows in for 4 to 5 weeks
-while in the cornrows: wash and condtion 2 to 3 times a week
-Use protein treatment once every 2 weeks
-use leave-in 1 to 2 times a week
2)Remove cornrows and get relaxer 3 to 4 Days after removing cornrows ONLY to new growth
-trim ends and get a deep conditioner
3)Keep relaxer for 6 to 8 weeks
-wash/deep condition and oil hair 2-3 times a week
-use protein treatment once every 2 weeks
-wear protective styles
-use a leave-in 1 to 2 times a week
4)Place cornrows back in hair and REPEAT process

The reason why I ask if this method will work is because on www.growafrohairlong.com Robin says to keep hair out of braids for 2 months without putting a relaxer on the NEW GROWTH. But my only problem is managing the new growth and relaxed hair. She doesn't really explain that so I was wondering would it matter if I got the relaxer 3 to 4 days after taking the cornrows out. WHAT DO YOU THINK???

ALSO:: This includes drinking 8-10 glasses of water daily and supplements

phynestone

I think this regimen could work, but is it necessary to wash your hair while in cornrows 3x a week. That's a little excessive when you have your braids in b/c it could cause them to loosen. Are you doing conditioner washes? Other than the washing, I don't really see a problem.

CICI24

HairFanatic: how are you able to keep your cornrows in for 4 to 5 weeks? How much growth do you usually have in that time frame? I would love to be able to wear cornrows for 4 weeks but I usually have a 1/2 inch to a full inch in certain places in just 2 weeks.

melodee

Cici, I think it depends on the style of cornrows. My first set of rows were the basic, straight back, medium sized ones where you could see the scalp between the rows. The nest time I got small rows, very close together and I got a double tier style where I almost looked like single braids. They last twice as long as the other ones.

HairFanatic01

Sorry You guys it took so long....... thanx for the responses. Yeah... I keep them in from 4-5 weeks from just wrapping my hair up in silk scarp and doing the basics. Now after 2 1/2weeks.... my hair does look kinda raggedy, but I do get it least an inch of new growth. With all the new products that I'm taking I might be able to gain a lot of growth by the end of this year.

aqualung

Hi HairFanatic01,

Robin's rationale for not applying a chemical between braided styles is probably that the chemical will weaken the hair strands. They'll be more likely to snap from the tension of the braids when you DO get braids again. If you opt to relax, choose the MILDest relaxer you can find. I've heard Motions is milder than Affirm, even.

After my last braided style, I waited 3 days w/o hair manipulation to get my 12 inch afro relaxed. My scalp still burned in some places. I'd been chemical free for 2 years and hadn't worn my hair loose at all except to press and curl on holidays (~2 weeks per year). Would you consider pressed or blowdried straight styles between braid sets instead of relaxing?

The cornrows will last longer and look better if you used synthetic hair in each braid. It'll hold your hair in place and prevent it from frizzing so soon.

Good luck,
Meg