TYPE 4s HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO STRETCH RELAXERS

Nanyanika

Without damage and too much breakage? I'm new to straight relaxed hair and would love to strecth my relaxers to keep my hair/scalp healthy. When your newgrowth arrives what is your regimen? what products do you use? how do you manage newgrowth in-between washings? what styles do you wear? how long do you manage to stretch relaxers and how has it benefited your hair? thanks in adavance

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Hi Den1, Your braid out is cute btw.
I stretch for 16wks, and use Nexxus Therapee or Assure as my poo and DC w/a # of dominican conditioners, Humectress or Omni pack, I also keep up w/my Aphoghee treatment mixed w/EQP every 6wks, and Keraphix every 3wks. I really like SIlicone Mix, it just gives me the ability to comb straight through my NG 10wks plus, :cool: . I can't say enough about this DC. Rollersetting is how I normally style my hair on wash days even when super post, unless I'm being lazy and then I just let it air dry in a pony, once it's dry I'll oil my scalp and make the pony more presentable or I'll braid it up. It really depends on my mood and what type of clothing mood I'm into at the time (I just can't rock straight backs in hills, LOL) but a braidout or twist will go better if I don't want to do a rollerset. When I wear braids I'm more in a laid back type of mode and throw on sneaks & sweats. I hope I'm not complicating it all, :lol: . But right now I'm on a 5 month stretch so far so good. I think my hair has gotten much fuller and I get to see more length, plus it helps reduce overlapping.

RabiaElaine

Hi Den,

I've 2-3 stretches so far. This last time I've gotten to 15 weeks post (getting relaxer this week). My texture is 4a/b and is definitely kinkier than yours (your hair is gorgeous by the way...I've stalked it for years). I've been able to stretch because of the board. Here's what I do:

1) I conditioner wash a couple times a week

2)I got through this last stretch by protective styling mostly with my phonypony (I did do braids for 6 weeks, but they are out now). When I do my phonypony I never comb my hair outside of the shower!!! I actually stand under the stream of water and put my hair into a ponytail. I put on a before I go to bed to smooth it. Put the phonypony on in the morning and go!

3)I try not to comb through the new growth when it's dry (except for this week since I'm detangling in preparation for my relaxer on thursday). If I do comb through it I use my Jilbere shower comb and do it in small section ends first.

4)I recently (in the last few days) started wearing a Quick weave (which is fabulous and will be incorporated into my next stretch)

5)As for products: Cream of Nature Shampoo, Kenra Moisturizing conditioner, Bone Marrow treatment, Penetrait protein treatment, NTM leave in, Salerm leave in, Rusk Smoother leave in, S-curl, Wild Growth Hair Oil, MTG, Nexus Biotin Cream. (I don't use these all at once but pick and choose depending on how my hair is acting)

6)If I need to wear my hair down and straight, I rollerset and flat iron the roots (but don't do this often).

I hope this helps.

imani97

Yes you do have beautiful hair! Before and After relaxing! Anyway, I've been able to stretch 20 weeks by using Paul Mitchell Super Skinny shampoo, conditioner, and serum. There is one person (can't remember her name right now) who has been stretching for two years using these products. :eek: It's very moisturizing and I've been able to manage the new growth very well. I also roller set my hair and blow out the roots. Actually, when I'm doing my hair I flat iron, but I'm trying to find an alternative. HTH

Tene

I co wash everyday and I use IC Fantasia gel or some other stuff to tame my hair. I sometimes use wgo, mtg or some other kind of oil. I sometimes use a smoothing shampoo and conditioner. I also use some conditioner as my leave-in and let my hair airdry and clip it up.

Last edited:

jasmin

I'm able to stretch depending on what relaxer I use. Since doing my own Silk Elements is the only relaxer that I've been able to stretch with. I went 10 weeks and didn't realized that I had waited that long.

Isis

I stretch to 13 weeks usually (up to 16 weeks once) and what helps me when the newgrowth is showing, is to wear my satin scarf to bed and in the house before going out. The scarf keeps it flatter and more smooth against my head. Since I don't use heat, I leave my roots as is.

I learned from Sylver2 about applying some NTM Silk Touch Leave-in to my dry hair (especially the newgrowth) and quickly tying on the satin scarf afterwards. This keeps the newgrowth tamed also.
I wear styles that don't show the newgrowth that much, like braidouts and braided updos.

I LOVE your braidout Den1!!! It's beautiful and so shiny! :love:

crlsweetie912

I am in the bunning/phony pony group. I just finished a 14 week stretch. The waves are awesom. I also love coconut oil for shing. You hair doesn't look like a 4 but WGO is the bomb for softening new growth. I also like my Salerm. I just got it the other day, but without it, I was ready to break. It makes your hair feel like butter. Also try Lacio Lacio. I used this last night after my relaxer and my hair has never ever ever had this much body and movement. It should make your hair the ish! HTH

Mizani_Mrs

Hey Den! whoa! I didn't know you went ahead and relaxed! Last time I was on, you were contemplating. Well, job well done, you hair looks fabulous. it looks very shiny! I stretch my relaxers to 12-15 weeks usually. I find that it is easier with practice, and it's easier with longer hair rather than shorter. You just can't be so wrapped up in having bone-straight hair...and even when i do want bone-straight hair...i can easily go to a salon for a flat-ironing. As for me, I'm not much into protective styling. I prefer to wear my hair caruso'd or in a weekly wrap. Only when i'm lazy, i'll do a ponytail or a hairclip. I think using the UBH dew spray has helped me with retaining my ends with minimal trimming. Also I think that salon products work better for relaxed heads. nexxus is GREAT. I do my monthly Emergencee treatments, i use CON, keracare, or Kenra poo and hummectress mixed with WGO for the conditioner and the leave-in. I don't use anything with mineral oil/petrolatum. (i mostly use UBH dew and creme moisturizer daily) which is why my hair is SUPER soft and doesn't dry out after a few days. When i do decide to use my old stuff with mineral oil/petroleum, i find it is easy to tell the difference after maybe 3 days, my hair dries out no matter how much I moisturize and it stiffens up and isn't as soft. I think that I save more hair by blowdrying the roots straight. and yes i do this after my weekly washes. I think this prevents damage/breakage at the demarc line.... (sorry for rambling...)

sareca

Hey, Den!

I'm at 21 weeks post, although my hair was braided much of that time, I've found 2 things make all the difference. The first is how I handle my hair when wet. I use Robin's method for shampooing and detangling. The second is keeping my natural oils. My hair only responds to its own oils. Although jojoba oil is nice it doesn't seem to be any match for natural sebum. Lately I've been using an organic clarifying conditioner instead of a shampoo. It's working beautifully. I have little hard water/product buildup, it doesn't strip my natural oils, and no parabens to boot. When my hair is not braided it's bunned wet or from a rollerset.

Last edited:

cocoberry10

Hi Den:

Your hair looks beautiful! Were you on the Crown and Glory site? I think you look like that woman. Anyway, I've stretched successfully, but I also had a rough learning experience to proper stretching. Here are my tips:

1) I use frequent washing (or rinsing as I call it) when my new growth gets too difficult to manage. I find that the more pliable my hair, the easier it is to work with.

2) After 9 weeks, I usually have to bun it because using a comb can cause major damage :eek: ! So I will usually rinse, apply conditioner, condition, rinse out, and then put into a bun.

3) Preferably, I moisturize my hair when wet. I find that the open cuticle really absorbs the moisturizer better, and when it dries, my hair is softer.

I think others have addressed most of my other tips, so I'll stop here.

lonei

I didnt know you relaxed, it looks great, why did you change your mind?

Anyway, last time I stretched til 14 weeks. I keep my regimen the same, I wash once every 2 weeks, rollerset/flat iron and dont comb it or try and do styles which work against the flow of my new growth, I get no breakage, just normal shedding.

caligirl

I recently tried Matrix Smooth and Sleek shampoo and conditioner (I'm 2 years post-relaxer). I did an airdried braidout and my hair came out like I had pressed it. Very good for people stretching relaxers. Oh, don't forget the denman d3 brush, CRUCIAL for blending the two textures and keeping your hair tangle free.

wadadligyal

First stretch was 12 weeks now going for 16 - 20 weeks
1) Cowash 2-3 times a week
2) ORS replenishing pak once a week when I shampoo
3) Airdry/low setting on hooded dryer
4) Protective Styles include buns, rollersets, bantu knots
5) Avoid handling hair too much (not too much combing)
6) Silk scarf on wet bun to keep smooth along with NTM

By the way your hair is beautiful!!!!

Candy_C

den1 said:
Without damage and too much breakage? I'm new to straight relaxed hair and would love to strecth my relaxers to keep my hair/scalp healthy. When your newgrowth arrives what is your regimen? what products do you use? how do you manage newgrowth in-between washings? what styles do you wear? how long do you manage to stretch relaxers and how has it benefited your hair? thanks in adavance

Hey Den, your hair looks more in the 3's. its identical to mine when i do a braidout.

tallygirl

I currently 12 weeks post-relaxer and don't plan to relax again until week 16. At week 8 is when I "kick it up a notch" and minimize manipulating my hair. Co-washing every 2 days has been a key part of my regimen. I shampoo and deep con once a week, rollerset my hair twice a week, and finger comb only.

Nanyanika

beautifulwideeyes: Ohh i see you love Nexxus products, I used have the shampoo and conditioner but my hair didn't respond so well on my previous texturized hair, but i think i may try them again. Does your hair get hard from using protein at 3 and 6 week intervals? When you rollerset do you go under the dryer or airdry in rollers? You the silicone mix, doe it build up on the hair and leave it coated? i know that silicone products tend to dry out my hair.

RabiaElaine: Which products do you use for conditioner washes, I see you use adriennes method the phonypony technique, its an excellent idea, as you avoid manipulating the hair all week and detangle in the shower. do you get a lot of shedding though on wash days, because your not combing the hair daily. whast do you moisturise your hair with when your wearing your pony, i know adrienne used gel for her edges and kept her length in a baggie. Oh whats your quick weave method it sounds interesting? how long do you think i should wait before applying extensions to my hair again? i know i need to get it stronger first. i'm still hoping to follow the crown and glory technique.

imani97 I've heard a lot about Paul mitchell products, especially the detangler, must inquire into the ingredients in the shampoo/conditioner you mentioned. you said that a lady had stretched relaxers for 2 years using these products sounds amazing to me. was she also type 4?

Tene CO washes is what i was hoping to do for the four weeks after a relaxer, but i was thinking it was too much manipulation, then having to wait for my hair to dry plus i have sinus problems sigh...do you comb your hair after co washing? and is there any breakage?

Jasmin: Since switching to no-;lye and having my hair properly relaxed instead of inconsistent textures I feel will enable me to stretch for longer, as my hair is no longer dry and unruly.

Isis the queen of braid outs: I love the scarf method, I’ll definitely try this to help flatten and blend my new growth, I don't have the silk touch leave-in, so could I just use my profectiv product on dry hair then use this method?

crlsweetie912: I see some of you ladies still use WGO i found it to be too heavy on my hair, i love cocnut oil though and jojoba but its too expensive. i wouldn't mind trying salerm or lacio but i can't get them in the UK and i'm uncomfortable giving my bavk details over the internet after a few unauthorized transactions. seems like you had a great relaxer experience, i'm trying to get some body back into my hair after my relaxer, you tempting with those products though.

MizianiMrs: Do you retain a lot of length even though you choose not to wear protective styles? I remember using a lot of salon products and the majority of them didn't work on my texturized hair, I will experiment and see whether my relaxed hair responds better. I like your regimen; it’s not fussy but simple.

Sareca: I know you love your braids, this is how I managed to transition so long, tell me what is the organics shampoo/conditioner. I also have hard water here in London, would i need to buy products like theseto prevent it damaging my hair?

HI cocoberry10: I am the lady on the Crown and Glory site. Do you notice that the longer you go without washing the hair the more the newgrowth feels drier, that was my problem and i hope i can really avoid this. I have have been combing/brushing my hair too much since relaxing, i hope i haven't caused too much damage though, i've got Hand in hair diesease lol i'm trying to leave it alone now in a bun. I agree with moisturising the hair wet, it tends absorb more moisture and locks it in when airdried its usually soft.

Lonei: I wanted a change, wasn't ready for natural hair. I like your regimen, its done excellent for your hair. I need to learn some of your rollersetting techniques.

Caligirl: whats the Matrix Smooth and Sleek shampoo and conditioner like? sounds really good, you got me when you said that your airdried braidout and my hair came out like I had pressed it, i haven't forgotton my denmans they're really worth it.

wadadligyal: great regimen seems a bit simlar to mine.

Candy_C: I don't know, cause my hair newgrowth seems kinky to me.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE I'M BUZZING WITH IDEAS NOW ON HOW TO TACKLE STRETCHING RELAXES HOPEFULLY WITH ALL YOUR WONDERFUL ADVICE AND TECHNIQUES IT SHOULD BE A BREEZE AND THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENTS LADIES!!

Last edited:

Tene

I comb my hair all back after co washing and putting in my products and then just let it airdry. I barely have any hair come out but I think that's because of the msm. No I don't get any breakage at all from it, I only comb once.

Nanyanika

Tene said:
I comb my hair all back after co washing and putting in my products and then just let it airdry. I barely have any hair come out but I think that's because of the msm. No I don't get any breakage at all from it, I only comb once.
Thanks for responding, I currently comb too much after washing my hair, i'll try detangling with my fingers first then comb with my k-cutter once. I also take msm and i notice that i'm not shedding much anymore. I must try your technique at my next wash, i already have newgrowth and its only been 10 dys since my relaxer.

Healthb4Length

WELL IT'S MY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF STRETCHING! I'M TEXTURIZED BUT I JUST REALIZED TODAY THAT IT'S BEEN MORE THAN 1 YEAR SINCE I'VE LAST PUT A CHEMICAL IN MY HAIR. I WILL BE PUTTING IN A TEXTURIZER NEXT WEEK CAUSE NOW MY NG IS KICKING MY BUTT AND I'M TIRED OF ALWAYS BUNNING MY HAIR!

Healthb4Length

OH...IDIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION...SARWRY...I DO ALOT OF CO-WASHES, BUN IT UP AND GREASE MY ENDS...THAT'S ALL I CAN THINK OF FOR NOW.

SandySea

I have Type 4 soft, fine hair and the longest I have successfully stretched was 11 weeks. After that time, the risks outweigh the benefits. I just can't go longer than that without the help of braids. When I feel that my hair needs a chemical vacation, I wear braids for a few months. However, if I don't give my hair a break, I do notice the difference. My hair will be weaker and more fragile.

Divine Inspiration

When your newgrowth arrives what is your regimen?
Weeks 1-7 I usually poo/deep condition once a week. I used to use Nexxus Therappe & Humectress (mixed w/ EVOO & honey) and I do lite protein every other week with Nexxus Keraphix. With Nexxus being sold, I've transitioned to J/A/S/O/N's Sea Kelp poo & con b/c the moisture & slip are incredible. I LOVE these products. For protein, I've been using Aubrey's GPB. So far, my hair seems to really like my new regimen.

Weeks 7-??? are the same as above except I throw in a mid-week CO wash when the NG gets unruly.

how do you manage newgrowth in-between washings?
In between washings, I manage new growth by NOT TOUCHING IT!!! My hair appreciates not being manipulated every day. I'll rollerset every blue moon, but if I'm not doing a textured style, it's all about the bun. I can airdry in a bun and leave it up until next wash day if I want. Or I can take it down, and my hair has big loose curls with flat, wavy new growth. I think the key to staving off breakage at the line of demarcation is to just leave it alone and not try to beat it into submission.

what styles do you wear?
My patented duckbill set (see photo below), braidouts, buns, high ponytails

how long do you manage to stretch relaxers and how has it benefited your hair? The longest I've ever stretched is 7 months. My hair has absolutely THRIVED from stretching. My hair has thickened up considerably after damage from going to the salon too often. Eliminating direct heat for months at a time is good for my hair as well.

The duckbill set

HTH
{DI}

MzOptimistic

I am 4a/4b too, I read that once you reach 8 weeks or 9 weeks you do not comb your new growth. How do you keep it from being tangled because I tried to not comb my hair instead I finger comb but my hair get tangled. I wash my hair in the shower. I stretched my last perm to 8 weeks I could not go any further than 8 weeks but someone on the board told to stretch further and further gradually. I am going to try to stretch this time for 9 or 10 weeks. It is so fun stretching and then relaxing to see the growth. Right now I am three weeks into my relaxer and I have newgrowth but I can't wait until it gets real thick up in there. I don't care about my hair being nappy. I usually wear braid outs when it gets uncontrollable but now I just use my caruso rollers and put the curls real tight and when I take the rollers out my hair is all curly and I put a head band on and keep it moving. This is soooo fun watching my hair grow. OOh sorry to rant on...I can type as fast as I think...anyway how do I keep my hair from becoming tangled without combing it....I just received that Paltas B.K.C. everyone or someone on the board was talking about but that mess cost me $20.00 and it is so small...the reason it cost so much is because it came from UK but I can't pay that much for a small bottle...anyone know where else you can purchase it from besides ebay....

Tia,
Tanya

gradygirl

This is my first stretch. I started getting new growth after 2 weeks, i'm now on week 8. I've been doing rollersets and absolutely no combing. Last week I wore a quick weave. The rollersets and deep conditioning have been key for me.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I have the craziest 4b hair. It is so wiry--kind of like a fine-to-medium grade of steel wool--that it's peirced the skin of my fingers a time or it, :eek: so stretching can be a bit tricky. My new growth will "cut" into the relaxed hair if I don't keep up with it. I'm usually able to stretch for 2-5 months. This is what I do…

~ I avoid combing the new growth when my hair is dry. If I have to detangle my new growth, I do so while it is damp or I use S-Curl.

~ Washing my hair 2 times each week. I CO wash once a week followed by a deep conditioner, and I shampoo on another day and use a protein reconstructor followed by a deep moisture treatment. Protein is definitely #1 in my routine. :up:

~ Daily moisture and a really good leave-in conditioner that leaves my hair soft and the new growth manageable.

~ Wrap sets! Wrap sets! Wrap sets!

~ Phony ponies if I just don’t feel like dealing with the two textures. This I do nearing the end of the stretch. Otherwise, roller sets.

UmSumayyah

Weeks 1-7 I wash 3x a week (two of those are conditioner washes, 1x a shampoo with a deep conditioner and/or pre-poo treatment)
Around week 8-10 I may wash 2x a week. I bun it or occasionally braid out.
After that its strictly cornrows. I dilute some conditioner and wash my hair while it's in the cornrows, removing them every 2-2.5 weeks for a proper shampoo, deep condition and combout.
I generally like to stretch 12 weeks but sometimes I'll go more if I want to plan touch-ups around an event. I don't go longer than 16 weeks though.