Naturals: How often do you wash your hair?

How often do you shampoo, cowash, water rinse, oil rinse, etc?

• Daily

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Every other day or 3-4 days a week

Votes: 70 27.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 123 48.6%
  • Every other week

Votes: 36 14.2%
  • Every 3 weeks

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MyCoilsGoBoing

100% Natural
Current Length: btw APL and BSL
Method of washing: Shampoo
How often: every 7-10 days
Why: My scalp starts itch terribly by day 11. That is not the business, so it's imperative that I clean it.

ms.blue

100% Natural or long-term transitioning: 100% natural
Current Length: (TWA, neck, APL, BSL, WL, etc.) almost bsl
Method of washing: (Shampoo, cowashing, water, oil or a combo of all.)I wash w/ shampoo and scalp rinse w/ water
How often: (Daily, every other day, weekly, etc)I shampoo every two weeks but rinse my scalp every three days
Why: (eg. exercise, dryness, etc)I rinse w/ water every three days since I sweat due to work and I wear wigs w/ wig caps also I exercise (sometimes)

Zaz

Washing" could be shampooing, cowashing, oil rinsing or just water rinsing.

100% Natural or long-term transitioning: Natural
Current Length: BSB stretched
Method of washing: cowash / sulfate free shampoo
How often: cowash daily, shampoo once a week/ when I feel I have some buildup
Why: daily workouts / laziness (it's easier to style my hair wet)

Last edited:

AuNaturalMaMa

100% Natural or long-term transitioning:100% Natural
Current Length: BSB
Method of washing: Shampoo, co-wash, rinse
How often: I shampoo only 1x a month, I co-wash 1x a week, and on random days I just rinse my hair
Why: My hair likes water, I try to do what my hair likes, and thats hard cause I don't like the whole washing process its just exhausting for me. I only shampoo once a month cause its just a hassle....:look:.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
100% Natural

CBL..ish...some hair comes to my collar bone, some touches the top of my shoulders...

I cowash every day, sulfate shampoo once a week since I started back using cones. Before when I was cone-free though, I just cowashed and would sulfate-free shampoo only if I felt my hair/scalp reeeally needed it.

Because it feels good! It's so nice to hop out of the shower in the morning completely refreshed, something that I longed to do back when I was told basically that water was the enemy hahaha and my hair doesn't seem to mind it either :3 Plus my hair smells great!

a_shoe_6307

100% Natural
Current Length: APL
Method of washing: Shampoo, co-wash, water rinse
How often: Shampoo 1x per month; Co-wash every 2-3 weeks; Rinse as needed
Why: To remove buildup, to replenish moisture, to detangle, to style, or to refresh hair/remove sweat after working out

a_shoe_6307

100% Natural or long-term transitioning:100% Natural
Current Length: BSB
Method of washing: Shampoo, co-wash, rinse
How often: I shampoo only 1x a month, I co-wash 1x a week, and on random days I just rinse my hair
Why: My hair likes water, I try to do what my hair likes, and thats hard cause I don't like the whole washing process its just exhausting for me. I only shampoo once a month cause its just a hassle....:look:.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I HATE the whole thought of shampooing my hair. Just thinking about it makes me tired. :ohwell: My hair loves water as well, but the thought of dealing with it afterwards is a huge process.

SherylsTresses

100% Natural and two years post
Method of washing: Cowashing or water rinse/moisturize & seal
How often: Every other day in the hotter season
Why: Dryness

Shadiyah

100% Natural
Method of washing: Cowashing or water rinse/moisturize & seal
How often: Everyday
Why: Love it!!!!

ScorpioBeauty09

100% Natural or long-term transitioning: 100% Natural
Current Length: APL-BSB
Method of washing: Shampoo, ACV (though I'm taking a break from it), DC w/heat
How often: Every other week
Why: I really enjoy washing my hair but can't wash it more than every 2 weeks because of how long it takes. I also flat iron my hair most of the time so I want to restrict the amount of heat I put on my hair.

BEAUTYU2U

Current Length: Shoulder Length
Method of washing: Shampoo (once a week) Co-washing (once a week)
How often: 3-4 days
Why: Hair is easier to manipulate/style when wet. I wash with shampoo once a week and in between the shampoo washings, I co-wash to re-style my hair.

Urban

Current Length: BSL
Method of washing: Shampoo maybe once every 3 months and Oil Rinse once every 1-2 weeks if my hair is in not in braids. Shampoo once every 2-4 weeks if in braids.
How often: As above, it depends. Anywhere from 1-4 weeks.
Why: It depends what style I have at the time. The above are rough guestimates. I was my hair whenever I feel like I need to, really. That's the best way to put it.

sillygirl82

100% Natural or long-term transitioning: 100%
Current Length: I think BSL.
Method of washing: Shampoo or cowashing
How often: At least twice a week
Why: Dryness, exercise, wash pollen and pollution out of my hair

HappilyLiberal

Current Length: (TWA, neck, APL, BSL, WL, etc.) TWA

Method of washing: (Shampoo, cowashing, water, oil or a combo of all.) All

How often: (Daily, every other day, weekly, etc) I co-wash daily and Shampoo and deep condition once a week.

Why: (eg. exercise, dryness, etc) Dryness and I use a sulfur based growth oil at night and I need to get that out before I go to work in the morning.

lamaria211

100% Natural: since April 2010
Current Length: SL
Method of washing: co-washes,oil rinses
How often: Twice a week
Why:my hair gets really dry

KimPossibli

Supergirl
100% Natural or long-term transitioning: 100%
Current Length: (TWA, neck, APL, BSL, WL, etc.) -TWA
Method of washing: (Shampoo, cowashing, water, oil or a combo of all.)-SHAMPOO
How often: (Daily, every other day, weekly, etc)- WEEKLY
Why: (eg. exercise, dryness, etc)- my scalp get aggravated otherwise and i like the feel of clean hair

Last edited:

skraprchik

Method of washing: Shampoo or Co-Washing
How often: Shampoo Daily, Co-Washing 2-3 times a week
Why: I exercise regularly so I co-wash when I feel my hair is sweaty, and shampoo once a week for cleanliness followed by a DC

Qtee

100% Natural
Method of washing: Shampoo, cowashing
How often: I rinse daily but I dont consider that washing...I alternate between washing with shampoo and cowashing every week..
Why: hygiene and to prevent build up

allmundjoi

Current Length: 100% Natural Shoulder Length
Method of washing: Shampoo, Oil rinse + Co-washing
How often: Shampoo 1x/week, Oil rinse & cowash 2-3x/wk
Why: I am learning that moisturized hair (cowash) is retained hair. I shampoo to remove buildup from hair and scalp. I only comb my hair on wash day-less washing, less combing and less hair loss. I finger comb the rest of the time.

Last edited:

regina07

Current Length: BS curly
Method of washing: Co-washing (twice a week); shampooing (every 2 weeks)
How often: 3-4 days
Why: I shampoo to remove buildup of products from my scalp. Co-wash because my hair loves water

CoutureMe06

Current Length:SL ( a bit longer but not APL)
Method of washing: Shampooing
How often: 2-3 times a week

Why? I have fine hair that gets weighed down easily. If I'm wearing my hair straight, I wash 2 times a week. Otherwise, its 2-3 times a week with shampoo. I DC each time I use shampoo. And if I'm wearing my hair in a natural state, I may cowash. It really depends.

I use Giovanni Deep Moisture Shampoo.

rosieposey

100% Natural or long-term transitioning: 100% natural

Current Length: BSL(most of my hair is, it grows in a "v" shape)

Method of washing: shampoo/DC & oil rinse/cowash

How often: shampoo/DC- 1x a week ...oil rinse/cowash....1x a week, usually Wednesday or Thursday. I cowash more often during the summer on a need basis(Only when my hair is dry, I dont have a set day for this)

Why: dryness or dirty scalp

Jewell

I voted both weekly and every other week.

*If I'm wearing wet buns and applying gel to my edges and hair every other day, then I wash weekly w. conditioner and diluted shampoo on scalp to remove product buildup (my hair is very curly and almost refuses to lay down w.o. a good satin scarf and good gel).

*If I'm in any other style such as 2-strand twists, a braidout, or some other typically "dry" style like a perm rod set, I will wash as little as every 2 wks to monthly, depending on how the style is made, and how it is holding up when wash time comes around.

*Right now I'm in 2-strand twists w. extensions added (synthetic Afro Marley Hair), so I will be washing every other week so that I can cleanse my scalp and remove the buildup of oils and braid spray.

Oops I just saw the "form" questions:

100% Natural or long-term transitioning: 100% natural & 2 years post relaxer. Last relaxer was July 22, 2009.

Current Length: about 1.5 to 2" past BSL (havent measured but hair is past BSL when stretched n not completely straightened.

Method of washing: diluted shampoo (a 1/2 dollar-sized amount of shampoo to 8 oz. water in a color applicator bottle, squeezed and lathered over hair and scalp), (Roux Porosity Control or Herbal Hair Tea rinse if needed), deep cond., cheapie cond., oil rinse

How often: at least every other week unless in a long-term dry style that would be ruined if wet (i.e. braidout/rollerset).

Why: product buildup on hair and scalp, itchiness, moisture needed.

Last edited:

somewhereinbtwn

Current Length: apl closer to bsl tho
Method of washing: Shampoo, oil rinse, water rinse
How often: I shampoo every 10 days, and oil rinse 1-2x a week. Water rinse 3x a week or so.
Why: I need to wet my hair and detangle every time I do a wet twistout which is about 3x a week. I do oil rinses :love:, and shampoo relatively infrequently to combat dryness.

Sweet_Ambrosia

Current Length: Grazing WL
Method of washing: CO-Washing
How often: Every 5-7 days
Why: To cleanse and for added moisture, I like the feeling of having water on my scalp and hair plus my hair loves it!

MRJ1972

Once per week

Length- btwn SL and APL

Shampoo and deep condition

Why? My hair starts to shed and itch badly if I go over a week

nzeee

Method of washing: Shampoo, cowashing, water (depending on time, mood)
How often: every other day
Why: moisture retention

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I voted both weekly and every other week.

*If I'm wearing wet buns and applying gel to my edges and hair every other day, then I wash weekly w. conditioner and diluted shampoo on scalp to remove product buildup (my hair is very curly and almost refuses to lay down w.o. a good satin scarf and good gel).

*If I'm in any other style such as 2-strand twists, a braidout, or some other typically "dry" style like a perm rod set, I will wash as little as every 2 wks to monthly, depending on how the style is made, and how it is holding up when wash time comes around.

We have similar methods!

100% Natural or long-term transitioning: Fully natural

Current Length: APL stretched

Method of washing: I cowash weekly and use a shampoo bar every other week. I deep condition with steam after each wash, alternating protein and moisture based conditioners depending on my hair's needs.

How often: At least every other week. I'm learning how to make washing in twists work for me.

Why: I don't want product buildup on my hair and scalp; I also like to avoid itchiness. I deep condition often because I need to make sure I am moisturizing for optimal health.

BostonMaria

Current Length: Waist length
Method of washing: Co-wash + deep condition
How often:
June through September - every day or every other day
End of September through end of May - once a week
Why: In the summer I wash every day because my hair won't stay straight so I don't fight with it, just let it be. In the fall/winter I rollerset once a week to protect it from the harsh Boston weather.

Last edited:

cutenss

100% Natural: :yep:

Method of washing: Shampoo with ORS Aloe or Cowash.

How often: Once a week for shampoo, or more often for cowash

Why: Its therapeutic for me. That is my "me" time. I can enjoy my hair, my products, my hair gadgets, etc.