Instead of braids - Has anyone gotten twists

JerseyGirl

This morning I was on the train and saw this young girl with the twist and I asked her how long had she had them in she said 2 months and I just washed them last night. She told me that she likes it better than braids because it doesn't take out a lot of your hair like braids does. And its also a different option for a protective style. My question is has anyone on the board had the twist put in. And if so, what was your experience. Thanks.

G

Okay, I've never had those/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but when I went to get my hair braided 2 years ago, I watched the girl beside me getting hers done, and they took half the time of mine! I was mad! A whole head, medium-small size only took 4 hours. But it depends on the braider.

Anyways, they can be kept in a long time! This girl I knew kept 'em in 2-3 months at a time! If they are done tight enough, then they should last. Plus, they are looser, so they probably wouldn't do as much damage as some individuals. I know that I will never get braids again, because when I took them out, my hair came out shorter than before they went in. I was so mad.... /images/graemlins/mad.gif

G

............starting to want Senegalese twists.......... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

NubianAngel

I had them at the end of the summer. They looked much better than braids would after a month, but Im thinking its because my natural hair likes to twist more than stay in a braid pattern. I kept mine in for 2 months, and I think that my take-down was slightky easier than when compared to that of micros (they never just slipped out of my hair).

I would get the style again if I hadnt given up extensions for a while /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LondonDiva

Does anyone know how the senegalese twists are attached to the hair withouth slipping out. I cannot, for the life of me picture in my head how to attatch them without them coming out. Any leads to a website or any tips would be greatly appreciated.

nicky

I was just thinking about this too. I'm becoming so hair obsessed and I was thinking that I'd probably make it safely through the winter if I got braids or something protective to keep my hands OUT of my hair and my mind OFF whether I've gotten the next 2" I need to be brastrap...

I've had twists before but I don't think I did a good job of caring for them-- my hair did grow though. My big concern is if they'll be considered appropriate for my work place and then my next concern is how they'll look since my hair is almost arm pit length now...

nicky

JerseyGirl

As far as corporate apperance is concerned, I think the twists would work in that environment just as well as weaves and braids. Its just how you get them styled and how they look on you and for what I have seen on some women, I like them better than braids. I had braids put in at least 5 times and each time I complained that I will never put them in again (when it was time to take them out). I think twists is a different look, hip, trendy, more up-to-date than braids. I use to get the wet and wavy look but after your hair grows a certain length that style can no longer work. I have two people I work with that have the twists and I work in a law firm and I feel that their hairstyle is just as professional as any (and one is an attorney).

I am also thinking of going to Billie Jean's in the Bronx. They have been around for 20 years. They usually give you to someone that only does the twist, if you go for micro braids, they give you that person that only does micro braids. They have a very good reputation and even the most picky people are satisfied.

G

I'm starting to want the twists now. Thanks a lot! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyways, there are so many styles that you can put twists in! They are just as versatile as individual braids, but only more up-to-date in my opinion. Check out this link and watch the slideshow! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

http://www.nanashairplace.ca/album.asp

Integrity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
Does anyone know how the senegalese twists are attached to the hair withouth slipping out. I cannot, for the life of me picture in my head how to attatch them without them coming out. Any leads to a website or any tips would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diva, i use to have twists attached and i am pretty sure they start the base off like braids and then twist as early as possible so that it doesnt really show -if its done well that is.

ngaa

yeh pandora u right they do start them off like regular braids and continue them as twists....

got me wantin to get my hair twisted too, does anyone know if the twist can be done with regular extensions and last too?? coz on my last visit to london i kinda got pj crazy and got soooooooo many extesions that it aint even funny and wud like to get the twist on these (they are soft and curled at the ends) but aint sure if u can /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ngaa
p.s. /images/graemlins/grin.gif can jus see myself swingin a head-full of twists rite now

carrie

I just bought a new braid mag last night and it had some BEAUTIFUL twists. When I go next week to get my braids touched up I am taking the pictures with me to see how my cousin who braids my hair thinks the twist will do in my hair.

simone103

I've had senegalese twists for a month now. My hairdresser braided it at the base and then twisted it down so the style can last longer. But they can be twisted onto your hair without it being braided at the base. The style is really pretty and is something different to try as opposed to braids. I used kanekalon which is super light on my hair and doesn't make it feel weighed down.