Permanent Hair Color Didn't Take! - HELP!!

bklyncurly

Please help - how soon after a perm hair color can you reapply hair color? I tried a new hair color tonight and it didn't take at all. My hair is pretty good shape, just a little dry but I think that's due to the cold weather lately.

Any suggestions? Should I wait 7 days and re-color? Or is it safe to color this weekend?

netnet26

Please help - how soon after a perm hair color can you reapply hair color? I tried a new hair color tonight and it didn't take at all. My hair is pretty good shape, just a little dry but I think that's due to the cold weather lately.

Any suggestions? Should I wait 7 days and re-color? Or is it safe to color this weekend?

DID you color on clean or fairly clean hair? (ur hair needs to be dirty the more product in ur hair the better)...if you did it will not collect the color..because it had nothing to bind the color or to attached the color on to so it could process! Also what color did you try to dye it....this could have been a prop if you are fairly dark and wanted to go really bright...HTH!!

BTW ...you can dye your hair 2 weeks after you relax..but NO sooner! (for permenent color)

http://fotki.com/denettra/

Last edited:

bigdeelight

DID you color on clean or fairly clean hair? (ur hair needs to be dirty the more product in ur hair the better)...if you did it will not collect the color..because it had nothing to bind the color or to attached the color on to so it could process! Also what color did you try to dye it....this could have been a prop if you are fairly dark and wanted to go really bright...HTH!!

BTW ...you can dye your hair 2 weeks after you relax..but NO sooner! (for permenent color)

http://fotki.com/denettra/

This is totally false. I just had my hair colored this weekend. Not only does it take better one a CLEAN scalp but I recommend grabbing some Keratin spray for your scalp to protect it during the chemical process.

As for the second part, yes if your hair is fairly dark and you're trying to take it up several shades, you'll have to do a few applications over a time period or just bleach your hair and apply the color which can be fairly damaging.

leona2025

This is totally false. I just had my hair colored this weekend. Not only does it take better one a CLEAN scalp but I recommend grabbing some Keratin spray for your scalp to protect it during the chemical process.

As for the second part, yes if your hair is fairly dark and you're trying to take it up several shades, you'll have to do a few applications over a time period or just bleach your hair and apply the color which can be fairly damaging.

I never heard that about dirty hair before. I usually use Porosity control and dc a few days before. Sometimes the same day. I haven't had a problem.

bklyncurly

What brand did you use? How long before coloring did you wash your hair?

What color was it?

It was Marc Anthony perm hair color. I washed my hair about a week ago, so I figured enough time had passed. And the color was black. I already have black hair, I was just trying to cover up some grey that keeps popping through (not alot, but enough to want to color to blend in with the rest of my hair color).

bklyncurly

My natural hair color is black, so I was just trying to cover up some grey that keeps popping through (not alot, but enough to want to color to blend in with the rest of my hair color). I forgot to mention that I'm natural (have been for several years) and I have no highlights in my hair, nothing.