DIY Kinky Twist

Meemee6223

Hello DIYers!

So I have been thinking about doing my own kinky twist but I have a few questions.

1. how long does it take you to do your own braids?
2. on youtube I see the ladies twist both stands of hair as they go. do u twist them together in the same or opposite direction as u twist the individual stands?

I've never had kinky twists but I have replaced a few micro braids but never my whole head... Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

phyl73

I'm sorry I can't help you, but am looking forward to replies. I am getting some in January.

Chameleonchick

Kinky twists are my go to style!!! I do them both long and short. To make it easier I just use the whole length of the hair. So if I want them shorter I'll use Afro bulk Synthetic hair. Longer I will of course use the Marley braid. When I twist them each strand is twisted in the opposite direction just like I would for my two strand twists for my own hair. I have done the roots both ways braided or starting with a twist. Starting with a twist looks better if you are only going to keep them in for a short while and if you are not planning to wash them frequently. Starting with a braid is best for frequent washing because you won't have to worry about them slipping out. Also, when it grows out it will look more natural. Good luck. Oh I usually keep mine in for about 5 weeks, but if I didn't get bored I could go 8 weeks easily.

Meemee6223

Chameleonchick If I succeed at doing these they will be my go to style as I transition. I'd rather not deal with my hair at all right now.

When u first began doing your own twists how long did it take u to put them in from start to finish? How long does it take u now that you've been doing them for a while?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

QUEENJAMES231

It usually takes me about 2 day. I can't sit still long enough to do it in one. I start with the perimeter so I can put my hair up in a pony tail if I need to run errands or go to work, then I finish the middle the next day.

I start mine with a braid only because as Chameleonchick said they are more secure. I also only go about 4-6 weeks max because I get antsy to see my hair and give my scalp a good scrub.

Meemee6223

It usually takes me about 2 day. I can't sit still long enough to do it in one. I start with the perimeter so I can put my hair up in a pony tail if I need to run errands or go to work, then I finish the middle the next day.

I start mine with a braid only because as Chameleonchick said they are more secure. I also only go about 4-6 weeks max because I get antsy to see my hair and give my scalp a good scrub.

Wow, 2 days?! Most people had been saying it took them 2 weeks which is why I'm so concerned about time. I am off from work for 3 days and I wonder if it's overambitious to think I can finish them in that time frame.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

QUEENJAMES231

Yea I do mine kind of big too(see siggy)

But I also don't have any kids to tend to while I'm twisting so unless FH is home and hungry I am able to just twist away for hours.

I normally just watch all the "Real Bad Basketball Housewives of Hip Hop" kind of shows that are on my DVR or just a few movies while I twist. It makes time go by quicker.

Also here is a blogpost I did on how to install kinky twists
HTH

QUEENJAMES231

I think you can get done in 3 days, or if not you can at least get enough done to be presentable to the outside world!

Just start around the perimeter and that way you can rock a ponytail and no one will ever know the middle is undone.

Chameleonchick

@Chameleonchick If I succeed at doing these they will be my go to style as I transition. I'd rather not deal with my hair at all right now.

When u first began doing your own twists how long did it take u to put them in from start to finish? How long does it take u now that you've been doing them for a while?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

I started using Kinky twists as a transitioning style too. I just fell in love with them so much I still use them as a natural. So when I first started putting them in it would take a little more than a day. That was also because I would comb out the the Marley braid hair (huge mistake). It would take so long. I find it better just to leave the hair as is and do it. It will cut off a couple of hours off of your time. Now it takes me maybe 7 hours. I find it also depends on how long your hair is. The longer your hair the more careful you should be putting them in down the length of your hair. Once you get past your hair you can zip right through it.

Meemee6223

Meemee6223 how did your kinky twist self install go? I'm very interested in doing them or getting them done.

AtlantaJJ
OMG, they turned out TERRIBLE! :lachen: Like a kinky twist/dread lock hybrid! :nono: I think I would do better if I tried again but I'm afraid they would look as bad as they did the last time I did them. I may try again some day. I have some now but I had to bite the bullet and pay for them.

Good luck with yours! Let me know if u need help. I can definitely tell u what NOT to do. :lol: