I need help on undreading hair.

Mercie

My mom just took out her micro braids.
They have been in there for a while so the roots have matted up.
How do I unmatt it?

We are planning on using oil to try and loosen it.

mahogany_horizons

I don't have much experience dealing with matting. Some other ladies might. Whatever you do I would not WET IT. DO NOT WET IT! Otherwise it will really lock up. Using oil to loosen sounds like a good strategy. I hope some of the veterans can help you!

naijamerican

One strategy that I got from here was to use baby food (specifically, banana baby food, where it's all mashed up) and apply it on your hair. Let it sit for an hour or so, and then try to start untangling it. I hope that helps. :yep:

brucebettye

When my hair matts up near the roots(due to not combing) I put a detangler or a thick conditioner on my hair and let it sit for about 5 minutes then work out the matt, by pulling one strand of hair or a couple out at a time. Do not use a comb use your fingers. Your hair has to have some slip to it to get the matt out without losing alot of hair. Also take your time or you will lose a lot of hair.

angenoir

I think the oil and some conditioner would help. Do not wet it or try to wash it.

Cover her hair in the oil (eg olive oil) especially the matted bits and leave it. Leave it for a good while so it can soak through and loosen the matt. Then gently comb out bit by bit.

RockCreak

I've taken out plenty of matted braids/dreads... I always use oil (conditioner some time, depend on the texture of the hair) but most of the time oit. I also use a rattail comb... a mettal one... only to help seperate the hair... no pulling or tugging..or combing..

Only to gently open up the matted area so that you can pull the strands gently.. Oh and patience... that will be key as well. It will take some time but you can get thru it.

brianna-alyssa

I've used conditioner and oil. Massage it into the knots and matting, let it sit for a bit like 5 minutes. & then detangle very gently.

SoSweet08

I use a detangler such as mane and tail. You can also use oil and conditioner. And slowly seperate each section and then carefully work on each tangle or dread. I use my hands and a wide tooth comb.

msdeevee

All great tips . I made the big mistake one time years ago of washing my hair and then trying to work the knots out .....BIG MISTAKE!!!

I then went to salon in a panic that didn't know any better than me and put a relaxer in it to work out the matting . My hair was so thin and sick after that.

Be patient , use the oil and conditioner and even if it takes a week or more it will be worth it.