~~~The LHCF Guide to Healthy Relaxed Hair~~~

Monaleezza

Hi guys, I need :help:
I am recently relaxed after a 24month stretch in weaves.
My hair grew so much, but each time I put a weave in I would trim the ends a little, so at the time of my relax I (and the stylist) assumed my ends were still relaxed.

However, after almost a full head of relaxed hair I see that my ends are anything but relaxed. In fact, they're so bushy in comparison to the rest of my hair it looks as though I have terrible split ends that need to go. The temptation therefore, when I wear my hair in a roller-set style or straight, is to heat straighten the ends... which every LHCF user knows is a no-no.

After my stretch I don't want to chop them... but can I relax just the ends? or must I chop them off? It would be a terrible setback :cry:

sunnieb

Monaleezza -24 months! :shocked: Wowzers!

When did you relax? Wait 8 weeks or so and relax again and get a good trim - maybe go to a salon.

What's your regimen?

Moonaonline

Hi,,
I have a question about henna and relaxed hair
I did find a lot of information on using henna on natural hair
Many people agree that henna can loosen up the curl pattern

Does any one have an experience in using henna or henna gloss on relaxed hair??
Did it help you to stretch?
Do you have an even color or it highlights the ends more?

Am actively searching this cause first I want to stretch as far as can and second i noticed few white hairs
So I thought if I started using henna regularly i don't have to worry about coloring and relaxing

Monaleezza

@Monaleezza -24 months! :shocked: Wowzers!

When did you relax? Wait 8 weeks or so and relax again and get a good trim - maybe go to a salon.

What's your regimen?

sunnieb
I relaxed exactly a month ago. (So weird, this time years ago I'd be planning my next relaxer in a couple of weeks.. anyhow I digress)

When you say relax again.. you mean just the un-relaxed ends?

I don't yet have a regimen. I've been PSing by weaving for 2 years it's like taking off a hat and 2 years later having BSL hair fall out... I've no idea what to do with it.:perplexed

So I'm here to learn.

baddison

natural for good
Hi,,
I have a question about henna and relaxed hair
I did find a lot of information on using henna on natural hair
Many people agree that henna can loosen up the curl pattern

Does any one have an experience in using henna or henna gloss on relaxed hair??
Did it help you to stretch?
Do you have an even color or it highlights the ends more?

Am actively searching this cause first I want to stretch as far as can and second i noticed few white hairs
So I thought if I started using henna regularly i don't have to worry about coloring and relaxing

Moonaonline - I'm relaxed and I henna regularly. Matter of fact, I've been henna'ing monthly for the past 4years. I use only NUPUR henna. I find that it provides perfect color and coverage for my sprouting greys. So I don't worry about coloring. Also, the NUPUR brand henna contains additional indian herbs that are awesome for hair and scalp. Brahmi and Bhringraj herbs strengthen the hair and keep it nice and dark. So using NUPUR monthly means I am not doing too many protein treatments either. I stretch my relaxers 4months at a time, and henna, helps to keep the hair strong. Be warned that you may have to do extra baggying and deep conditioning, since some ladies have reported that henna makes the hair dry. I always do whole head baggying for two consecutive nights after my henna treatments. My moisture is restored right away. Hope this helps.

sunnieb

I relaxed exactly a month ago. (So weird, this time years ago I'd be planning my next relaxer in a couple of weeks.. anyhow I digress)

When you say relax again.. you mean just the un-relaxed ends?

I don't yet have a regimen. I've been PSing by weaving for 2 years it's like taking off a hat and 2 years later having BSL hair fall out... I've no idea what to do with it.:perplexed

So I'm here to learn.

Monaleezza

I mean totally relax again. Since you are so good at stretching, you can wait 12 weeks or more if that's what you want to do.

However, I think you should determine what type of regimen your hair needs before you do anything else. Check out this article on regimen building for newbies:

http://voices.yahoo.com/hair-regimen-building-newbies-408289.html?cat=69

Last edited:

Moonaonline

baddison said:
Moonaonline - I'm relaxed and I henna regularly. Matter of fact, I've been henna'ing monthly for the past 4years. I use only NUPUR henna. I find that it provides perfect color and coverage for my sprouting greys. So I don't worry about coloring. Also, the NUPUR brand henna contains additional indian herbs that are awesome for hair and scalp. Brahmi and Bhringraj herbs strengthen the hair and keep it nice and dark. So using NUPUR monthly means I am not doing too many protein treatments either. I stretch my relaxers 4months at a time, and henna, helps to keep the hair strong. Be warned that you may have to do extra baggying and deep conditioning, since some ladies have reported that henna makes the hair dry. I always do whole head baggying for two consecutive nights after my henna treatments. My moisture is restored right away. Hope this helps.

Thanx
My hair tend to get dry and frizzy with proteins
Do you add conditioner/oil to your henna or just water?

baddison

natural for good
Thanx
My hair tend to get dry and frizzy with proteins
Do you add conditioner/oil to your henna or just water?

My henna mix is (1) room-temp brewed coffee, (2) amla oil, and (3) moisturizing conditioner. I mix it, and apply right away. Then I go to sleep. In the morning, I just co-wash out the henna....seal with some oils and bun. I usually baggy that same night and the following night to keep the moisture levels up. NUPUR henna has everything in it that my hair and scalp needs. I DO NOT use shampoo to wash out my henna...:nono:...that would strip the mess outta my hair.

karenjoe

My hair grew so much, but each time I put a weave in I would trim the ends a which every LHCF user knows is a no-no.

After my stretch I don't want to chop them... but can I relax just the ends? or must I chop them off? It would be a terrible setback :cry:

I think because you hair stayed in rows so long you should wait. I was told never remove braids & wash or relax on the same day... the longer I wait after the rows the better. apply leave in & tangling conditioners.
It could be you need a different relaxer or hair is under relaxed. if you condition your hair & its healthy you can relax in 2 weeks.
I think you should find a protective style & moisturize & seal your ends daily . I think you need serious DC.... before you chop it off
Roller setting never helped me w a stretch ...:nono:
Oh I HAVE to Blow dry my hair when I wash...after I work I have no problems its braided or in plaits....
Don't cut yet!! work w with..... it need therapy:grin:....listen to it...
Henna, I don't mess with.. I saw what it did to my aunt's beautiful hairs yrs ago... .:nono: it dried it out & broke it off...

Last edited:

Monaleezza

Monaleezza

I mean totally relax again. Since you are so good at stretching, you can wait 12 weeks or more if that's what you want to do.

However, I think you should determine what type of regimen your hair needs before you do anything else. Check out this article on regimen building for newbies:

http://voices.yahoo.com/hair-regimen-building-newbies-408289.html?cat=69

sunnieb

Relax the whole head? The rest of the hair is already relaxed, wouldn't re-relaxing relaxed hair be double/over processing?

Thanks for the link. Just what I need.

sunnieb

Monaleezza - yes, relax the whole head. A few ladies around here do corrective relaxers as soon as 2 weeks after relaxing and it works for them.

I think that's a bit too soon for my own hair though. That's why if you wait 8 weeks or longer, it's like a normal relaxer cycle. If you're not comfortable with this, just wait until your next regular relaxer and concentrate on smoothing out your underprocessed areas. :yep:

Monaleezza

I've never heard of that before. I can't imagine that could be good for the hair. I would be too scared of double-processing, so I may just relax the unprocessed bits when I next relax if I can hold out that long.

Working on my regimen now.

karenjoe

I don't apply relaxer to my ends.
but I pull it down the shaft when I work it from 5 small sections to one ponytail....
when I rinse, the relaxer running by or thru my ends, shaft is enough... it's straight!

I have relaxer halfway down the length of my hair.
If I've gone a longtime (6 mos or longer) the longer i will have to pull the relaxer down....
does that make sense?

Monaleezza

karenjoe For me my natural ends are much thicker than my relaxed hair and it causes a problem when styling. Imagine having an inch or more of split ends... that's what it's like. So styling and even caring for the hair is a problem because the ends are such a contrasting texture.
Washing the relaxer out has never re-relaxed my non-new growth because it doesn't sit for long enough to have an impact.

I'm still seeking advice so that when I go for my touch up in 8 weeks I can make a decision. For now I'm just doing my best to manage a bad situation.

sylver2

My hair grew so much, but each time I put a weave in I would trim the ends a little, so at the time of my relax I (and the stylist) assumed my ends were still relaxed.

However, after almost a full head of relaxed hair I see that my ends are anything but relaxed. In fact, they're so bushy in comparison to the rest of my hair it looks as though I have terrible split ends that need to go. The temptation therefore, when I wear my hair in a roller-set style or straight, is to heat straighten the ends... which every LHCF user knows is a no-no.

a trim and then at the end of your next touch up rub a lil on the ends. then rinse.

karenjoe

@karenjoe For me my natural ends are much thicker than my relaxed hair and it causes a problem when styling. Imagine having an inch or more of split ends... that's what it's like. So styling and even caring for the hair is a problem because the ends are such a contrasting texture.
Washing the relaxer out has never re-relaxed my non-new growth because it doesn't sit for long enough to have an impact.

I'm still seeking advice so that when I go for my touch up in 8 weeks I can make a decision. For now I'm just doing my best to manage a bad situation.

I stopped paying someone to relax my hair when
1) they didn't apply enough relaxer on NG
2) they didn't work the relaxer. it just sat on the new growth
3) They would use whatever the shop had available...:spinning:
ie) when i relax I start w 4 or 5 sections
when it's time to rinse out relaxer I have one ponytail.
I work the relaxer from 4 sections to 2, then 1 ponytail.
the relaxer is moved down the shaft a few inches.
but No I don't apply relaxer to my ends.
when I was washing my hair every week I noticed it was different. back then. no lye wouldn't last 6 weeks
no lye relaxers was different yrs ago also. they would burn & turn my hair brownish
I like Olive oil reg non lye relaxer.:yep:
when i was a kid they would comb the relaxer in my hair:nono:

NickiStar

Since I'm dealing with the same problem I have come up with a plan of action that I'd like to share. Hopefully this helps :)

Because my ends are underprocessed from having gone 1.5 year between relaxers and underestimating the length of my new growth, I have decided that when I go to relax again I will use good ole' fashion grease on the top of my strands that were sufficiently processed to prevent overlap, and will apply a little relaxer to the underprocessed ends and smooth. I plan to not leave it on the full processing time, however, because I am assuming that even tho my ends are bushy, some relaxer has run off on them at the last relaxer. I also plan to use the half and half method to ensure I am able to rinse quickly.

I haven't tried this yet, but if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions they are most welcome :)

NickiStar

sckri23 Usually at a certain point in my stretch (Maybe 5-6 months in), I braid my hair up and wear wigs so I sleep with it in braids. I find that daily manipulation is just too much for my hair the deeper into my stretch I go so I don't bother with daily styling practices.

karenjoe

Since I'm dealing with the same problem I have come up with a plan of action that I'd like to share. Hopefully this helps :)

Because my ends are underprocessed from having gone 1.5 year between relaxers and underestimating the length of my new growth, I have decided that when I go to relax again I will use good ole' fashion grease on the top of my strands that were sufficiently processed to prevent overlap, and will apply a little relaxer to the underprocessed ends and smooth. I plan to not leave it on the full processing time, however, because I am assuming that even tho my ends are bushy, some relaxer has run off on them at the last relaxer. I also plan to use the half and half method to ensure I am able to rinse quickly.

I haven't tried this yet, but if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions they are most welcome :)

It sound like both you guys need a good trim & then relax your entire head.
if your hair isn't straight the relaxer isn't going to over process
I know over the yrs of me relaxing my hair the way it do mid way is the reason my hair stay straight. I get bushy ends if I don't trim but you can see the old relaxed hair.
warning! these photos are blurry!!:spinning:
my ng is peeping thru & puffy. this hair won't lay down with out heat but you see the hair is straight...

Last edited: