Why Are Thick Eyebrows Considered Unattractive?

seraphim712

I have no problems with thick eyebrows unless they try to make me look like Bert from Sesame Street...

I notice that everytime I went to a nail or hair salon in the mall, they would always ask if I would like for them to 'shape' my eyebrows for me. Mind you that my eyebrows do have their own arch like shape which I love because I inherited them from my grandfather (from my mom's side) and from my dad. They are thick but not to the point where they have to be plucked. This past summer, I finally decided to let the salon stylist shape my eyebrows to a more rounder appearance. They looked fine, but I believe the wax strips used is causing my eyebrows to come in slower. They've regained their arch shape, but the part where my brows end towards the side of my face are much thinner than the ends towards the front of my face.

I really love thick eyebrows (not man brow thick). IMO they give the face a more becoming natural beauty appearance.

So why are they deemed unattractive?

Thinking of using some BT on my brows when I purchase some... dammit where's that little plotting emoticon when I need it???

Last edited:

seraphim712

Unattractive to who?

Many people in general. When I used to go into the salon, I used to hear some of the women talk about how they would rather have their brows plucked and shaped instead of leaving them as they are. They considered the natural shape of the brows unattractive. My aunt is always saying that I should pluck my eyebrows.Also, in the nail and hair salon, I'm always asked if I would like my eyebrows plucked as well. I'm assuming that plucking the brows is a popular cosmetic routine.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
It's just a trend :)

I was a teenager in the 80-s and back then it was a trend to have super thick eyebrows :yep:
I'm sure the trend will come back sooner or later. Trends go back & forth all the time.

I also find thick eyebrows very beautiful if they have an arch and some shape...

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
To whom? They need to get their heads examined. :yep:

I wish I had thicker eyebrows. They are growing in a little thicker but I have to remind the woman who does my waxes to keep them thick. I once went to a woman who waxed and plucked them way too thin and it took me forever to have them grow back. Now I demand that my waxes are merely shape ups. I prefer thicker eyebrows! :)

Glitter

I think thick eyebrows are very much becoming fashionable again. In the couture runway shows, many designers have taken to drawing very heavy eyebrows on the models.

Personally, I have thick eyebrows and I love them. I always ask them to not make my eyebrows too thin when I get them done.

mzhotniz86

I Have short itty bitty baby eyebrows :sad: i wish my were long and full , but they will never be unless i draw them on lol.

candiel

I think thick eyebrows are very much becoming fashionable again. In the couture runway shows, many designers have taken to drawing very heavy eyebrows on the models.

Personally, I have thick eyebrows and I love them. I always ask them to not make my eyebrows too thin when I get them done.

Me too! :yep:
I never used to like my eyebrows either because they are sooooo dark and bushy and meet in the middle :perplexed. I used to get teased growing up. But, thick eyebrows are coming back in style now.

TeeKay21

Many people in general. When I used to go into the salon, I used to hear some of the women talk about how they would rather have their brows plucked and shaped instead of leaving them as they are. They considered the natural shape of the brows unattractive. My aunt is always saying that I should pluck my eyebrows.Also, in the nail and hair salon, I'm always asked if I would like my eyebrows plucked as well. I'm assuming that plucking the brows is a popular cosmetic routine.

I think there is a difference between wanting them plucked and shaped and wanting them to be thin. I think thick brows that have been professionally or purposfully shaped and defined (whether through plucking or waxing it doesn't matter to me) ALWAYS look better than someone who just has a slight natural arch to me.

My best friend has the thickes brow EVER and when she gets them shaped it frames her face so beautifully because they are still really thick.

I personally love thick brows. I have thin ones, but I fill mine in to give them a thicker appearance.

Maybe they dont want you to have THIN brows at the shop when thye ask you if u want them done, they maybe think that defining the arch would look really pretty on you (just like on my friend) :yep:

Isis

I didn't know anyone considered thick eyebrows as unattractive. I would agree that the stray hairs need to be plucked so they are not unruly and have a good shape. I love and have thick eyebrows. :yep:

HERicane10

I'm on a quest for thicker eyebrows now! :look: my husband I told me I looked crazy with my lil hairs growing back in.....but I'm trying to get every lil bit before I get them shaped again. I think that THICK, SHAPED eyebrows are ultra sexy!:yep:

InNeedofHairapy

As someone with thin, blonde eyebrows, I think dark, thick, well groomed eyebrows are GORGEOUS...but youknow you always want what you don't have....

seraphim712

I think there is a difference between wanting them plucked and shaped and wanting them to be thin. I think thick brows that have been professionally or purposfully shaped and defined (whether through plucking or waxing it doesn't matter to me) ALWAYS look better than someone who just has a slight natural arch to me.

My best friend has the thickes brow EVER and when she gets them shaped it frames her face so beautifully because they are still really thick.

I personally love thick brows. I have thin ones, but I fill mine in to give them a thicker appearance.

Maybe they dont want you to have THIN brows at the shop when thye ask you if u want them done, they maybe think that defining the arch would look really pretty on you (just like on my friend) :yep:

That would make sense. But I would have to learn how to shape my own brows because they seem to be thinner from when I had them shaped this past summer.

Allandra

I didn't know anyone considered thick eyebrows as unattractive. I would agree that the stray hairs need to be plucked so they are not unruly and have a good shape. I love and have thick eyebrows. :yep:
I agree.

I know one thing.

I love my thick eyebrows.

TeeKay21

I shape my own eyebrows with a razor. It's not too hard. I just shave off the ones that have strayed from underneath the arch and let the top do it's own thing. Sometimes I may define them a lil more by making the top a more diagonal so it creates a more drammtic arch underneath

I just use a plain ole sing blade disposable razor. Not very sophisticated but definately easy!!

Soliel185

NObody touches my eyebrows but me. I have naturally thick brows, and I pluck underneath to enhance the arch. I just started doing it this past year and I like the way it looks. I just don't trust people - same reason why I don't get pedicures, manicures, or massages - I have two hands and a boyfriend thank you very much!

myco

I think thin eyebrows age you.

I agree. I was watching a documentary on the Golden Age of Hollywood and one of the people interviewed actually spoke about how the overly plucked eyebrows of the starlets made them look older by like 10 years.

I've been attacked by an overeager threader before and it's a very dramatic difference.

As long as you keep them groomed and they are in proportion to your face, there is nothing wrong with thick eyebrows.

cocoberry10

It's just a trend :)

I was a teenager in the 80-s and back then it was a trend to have super thick eyebrows :yep:
I'm sure the trend will come back sooner or later. Trends go back & forth all the time.

I also find thick eyebrows very beautiful if they have an arch and some shape...

I agree with this!

Tru_Mind

Everytime I watch a makeover show with someone that doesn't have enough they are always filling the entire eyebrow in.

I think that woman that have nice defined eyebrow are pretty.

Lady Esquire

I think thin eyebrows age you.

Me too. I like mine like Goldilocks did...not too thick and not too thin, but just right...just cleaned up a bit...however, some women do not even have to shape theirs cause they have a naturally coifed eyebrow.

tatje

Thick eyebrows have always been beautiful to me. I never liked thin. It's almost like having a thin hairline or thick hairline. Feel me? I believe in thick yet nicely shaped.

A

AmilLion

Thick eyebrows are fine, as long as they are shaped/defined IMO.

Unruly thick eyebrows remind me of Burt from Sesame Street

I love medium-thick eyebrows when they are tamed and have a shape. I know some people with very thick eyebrows and it doesn't look nice. As long as they're groomed I like them. I actually get upset when I get mine done and they make them too thin. Then I have to look HAM for a little while until they grow back :ohwell:.

BillsBackerz67

I have very thick eyebrows and I wouldnt have them anyother way. However they have to be groomed. I cant stand folks who have them growing in wild with a unibrow:ohwell: even men who have brows like that. no one is saying that you have to arch them but damn give them some shape and clean those stray hairs up.

ellennicole

I think if they're shaped and have an arch they can be very cute.
I have VERY thick eyebrows and when I was younger I was so resistent to people suggesting I pluck them. As I've gotten older I do get them shaped b/c I think they really can bring out the face.