Thin Edges Question

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
How do you repair thin edges?

My edges on the left are thick and on point. My edges on the right is healthy, but thinner. I use to be a religious, traditional, nightly wrapper. Not sure if that took its tool over time. Never was an avid updo/ponytail wearer so know it's not thin from too much pulling. I do sleep on my right side most of the time. The area isn't near balding by no means, just visibly thinner (to me and to others only if I point it out) on one side more than the other. Is there a means to correct this? To be honest, I can't remember if this has always been an issue because I wasn't much into hair upkeep in years past.

divachyk

Saweet...I was planning to grab a bottle from the Sam's link many have posted. By chance, how is that applied? Is it applied like you would do when sealing with oil? To your deep conditioners? I'm sure there's a thread on it but just thought to ask you while we were engaged in conversation. TIA.

bimtheduck

Is that the side you part your hair on the most?

What worked for me is castor oil. Mixed in a little tea tree oil and recently I've added rosemary oil. My edges weren't super thin, just thinner than they were when I was younger and not getting relaxers. The area I was concerned about was my widows peak and my temples.

Also the hair near my temples grows slower and is a 3a/3b type texture so for my last relaxer touch up I applied vasaline and coconut oil and asked my stylist not to relaxe there.

It's been about 4 months and they are filling in nicely

loonggood

Having healthy hair for the rest of your natural life is defined in Thinning Edges. With this book you are not limited to straight hair styles and you are not limited to natural hair styles. You decide daily what your look will be whether natural or straight. This versatility is not realized when you loc your hair or chemically relax.

Thinning Edges takes you beyond locs and relaxers to individuality.

A must have teaching guide for understanding the requirements for afro textured natural and chemically processed hair.

Key Benefits

* Identifies one of the most common causes of balding and thinning hair Black women experience
* It provides instructions on how to safely straighten natural hair without the use of chemicals, as well as instructions on how to safely relax hair using chemicals
* Guides you through the process of transitioning from chemically processed hair to natural hair without cutting off the chemically treated hair
* It provides tips and instructions for long term success with caring for afro textured natural hair

Tyra

Saweet...I was planning to grab a bottle from the Sam's link many have posted. By chance, how is that applied? Is it applied like you would do when sealing with oil? To your deep conditioners? I'm sure there's a thread on it but just thought to ask you while we were engaged in conversation. TIA.

I add *regular ol* cator oil to my DC sometimes. However, when ladies use it on thinning edges, they typically just apply it directly to the thin area. Just massage it into the scalp daily. No biggie.:)

divachyk

No, I part on the left and sweep the majority of the hair over the thinning edges side (right side). The left side is fine, which is the side my part is on.

What worked for me is castor oil.
Regular or JBCO?

Also the hair near my temples grows slower and is a 3a/3b type texture so for my last relaxer touch up I applied vasaline and coconut oil and asked my stylist not to relaxe there. It's been about 4 months and they are filling in nicely
I don't know my texture because in a different thread when I was trying to determine my texture, someone told me relaxed heads don't have a texture and hair typing was for naturals only. I guess I need to research this more.

I will definitely suggest no relaxer on the thinning area because truthfully, that area never gets what I call "nappy" so I can go a long while without relaxing that area.

What does the vaseline and coconut oil do other than base your scalp?

Edited to correct message formatting. TIA!

Last edited:

bimtheduck

Originally Posted by bimtheduck
No, I part on the left and sweep the majority of the hair over the thinning edges side (right side). The left side is fine, which is the side my part is on.

What worked for me is castor oil.
Regular or JBCO?
Regular, I've used the kind you get a wal mart in the aisle with laxative and now I get mine from Vitamin Shoppe. Ab ig 16 ox bottle for $8, I got it in Jan. and I have about half a bottle

left.
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=EC-1004

I mixed in Tea Tree oil b/c of its anti-inflammatory, disinfectant, analgesic (pain-killing) and cicatrizant (wound-healing) qualities. I mixed in the rosemary oil b/c it helps stimulates hair follicles.

Also the hair near my temples grows slower and is a 3a/3b type texture so for my last relaxer touch up I applied vasaline and coconut oil and asked my stylist not to relaxe there. It's been about 4 months and they are filling in nicely
I don't know my texture because in a different thread when I was trying to determine my texture, someone told me relaxed heads don't have a texture and hair typing was for naturals only. I guess I need to research this more.

I will definitely suggest no relaxer on the thinning area because truthfully, that area never gets what I call "nappy" so I can go a long while without relaxing that area.

What does the vaseline and coconut oil do other than base your scalp?

Exactly that. Even though I asked her not to apply relaxer to those areas if some does happen to sneak by, the oil will slow down the processing. I also rub coconut oil through the length of my hair before a relaxer to prevent over processing from the years of relaxer running down my hair when it was being rinsed out.

Hmmmm..I've used JBCO and regular castor oil, both mixed with vitamin E. That works very well. Currently, I'm trying Boundless Tresses. You might want to check out those options as well :) HTH

naturalgyrl5199

My edges are healthy but the temple areas have been looking a little thin IMO so I bought the ORS Temple Balm and I mix that with a few drops of Castor Oil you buy in a Natural Foods Store to massage my temple areas. I have been only doing this a few days.

I took some "before" pics and will do an "after" pic in September to see if there are any good results......