Things that DIDN'T work for me *WOMP WOMP*

cherrynicole

Shea Moisture-build up
Maxi glide-frizzy hot mess
straightened natural hair-time consuming, needed too much heat resulting in split ends
Wen-allergic reaction
Braid extensions- always too thick, tears out my hair
Grease-too much buildup and no swing
Nexus humectress-too much buildup
Bleaching-(love hate relationship) breakage but looks so good at first....

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

SEMO

S-curl leave-in spray
Hawaiian silky leave-in

Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie - made my hair feel greasy
Shea Moisture curl and style milk - made my scalp breakout and also made my hair feel a bit greasy
Shea Moisture deep treatment masque - hated the smell, my hair didn't feel moisturized and had a weird film left on it
Garnier Fructis sleek and shine leave-in with argan oil - the original formula was a staple
Sally's GVP of Paul Mitchel's The Conditioner - went on smooth but left my hair dry
Kinky Curly Knot Today - great at detangling my hair, but lacking in moisture (may revisit in the future)
KCKT a la kimmaytube mix - just made it worse
Denman brush - took out too much hair
Any conditioner by Suave
Tangle Teezer - mid shaft splits at my nape and I only used it once or twice
Herbal Essence Hello Hydration - dried my hair out
Biotin - gave me breakouts even when I only used a 100% RDV
Aussie Moist conditioner - loved it for awhile (prepooing), but the silicone in it caused scalp buildup
Cantu Shea Butter - coated my hair and didn't work with other products

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't like anything from Shea Moisture. There were so many rave reviews on youtube that I wondered if there was something wrong w/ my hair. :lol:

candy626

Too many products to name...

Curls Unleashed Take Command Curl Cream was the most recent thing I tried that was a total fail.

LA Looks gel (yellow Bottle) also didn't work. My curls were extra defined but super coily and hard. It made my hair a tangly mess when it was time to wash it out.

Proclaim Shine Spray worked well when I would first sprayed it on my hair but would dry my hair out something terrible an hour later.

Anavrin

TRESemme Breakage Defense shampoo and conditioner was hell for me. I have absolutely no idea what ingredient in it made it such a failure but I had DREADS the next morning. I eventually had to buy an Argan Oil pac from Walmart, and that got the dreads out, which is funny because after it got the tangles out and i tried to use it again next week, it didnt do much for me. xD Other than that, butters, cone-free conditioners, avocado, and protein treatments dont really work for me too much. My hair throws tantrums, but then again, i am a newb, so its possible i may be doing something wrong... :) edit: I meant Tresemme, not Pantene. Pantene is brilliant.

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

Oyin
Finger detangling
Rice bran oil
Steaming with a towel
Rollersetting
Shea butter - didn't work at first but I'm revisiting it now

I can't think of anything else. I don't experiment much.

Sent from my HTC Evo

Americka

Shea Butter - no slip, no moisture, just build up
Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque - see above
Skala Aloe + Fruit Cocktail Masques - no slip
Victoria Secret So Sexy Con - GREAT slip, but too much fragrance (chest pains and headaches)
Coconut Oil - too heavy/greasy
Cholesterols (Queen Helene, LeKair, Lustrasilk) - no slip, no moisture
Tresemme Shampoo - too stripping
Silicon Mix - no slip, too much fragrance
NTM Mask - no slip, build up
JBCO - same results as regular Castor Oil
Vo5 Moisture Milks - hair felt coated, no slip
ORS Replenishing Pack - no slip
Rusk Sensories Smoother - no slip, no moisture
Suave/ White Rain - no slip, build up

Overnight DCing - makes hair over-moisturized
Finger combing - No!
Vinegar Rinse - tangled hair
Cold Water Rinse - tangled hair

greenandchic

Sulfur - It made me shed and it did nothing for me.

Ecostyler Olive Oil & Crystal - Too heavy, too hard

Shea butter - I can only use it blended in rinse out conditions and on my skin.

To add to my post from many moons ago:

AO Blue Camomile Shampoo - Another Shaving cream now.
As I Am Leave-In Conditioner - Didn't do a thing for my hair.
Aussie Moist - Too much silicon buildup (Its now a shaving cream.)
Lets Jam Custard - Its too greasy.
Shea Moisture Deep Cleansing Shampoo - Hair felt unclean and stripped (its a shower gel now)

Beany

As I Am Leave in, twist defining cream, and curling jelly- left too much build up (I am heavy handed though)

DB Transitioning Cream-literally felt/saw no difference in my hair

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
That Ghatd*mn Denman Brush!! - Just shave your head...same difference.
Shampoo - or shall we say...sh*tpoo...
Frizz - Texturized the hair in the front, and life is so much better now
Agave - No Tankya!!

Brownie518

Denman brush
Ouidad double detangler
V05 conditioners
Cassia
SSI Banana Brulee - not moisturizing for me
SitriNillah - not moisturizing either

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
MrsJaiDiva

Um..what happened?:lol:

I swear it was like the Anti-Moisturizer!! Took a fabulous DC, and rendered it useless...my hair was Drier than when I put the DC on to begin with. And I had used that DC before, so I knew it was the Agave.

I don't know what the purpose of Agave is....it's useless in porridge, and not totally fantastic in tea either. It's about to find its way to the ocean... :nono:

ycj1

Hello hydration con...did nothing but dried my hair even more
Wave Nouveau moisturizing finishing lotion....hated it
Organix coconut poo and con...made my hair extremely hard

I do have more and will be back to list them but can't think of them at the top of my head right now.

Adding what did'nt work for me was

Kenra conditioner.....dried my hair
No cholesterol conditioners....made my hair a hot hard mess
Joico.....definitely overrated dried my hair
And one of the worse for me which I do believe thinking back not only dried my hair to no end but also cause a massive amount of breakage

Last edited:

DominicanBrazilian82

PJaye said:
- Kenra MC & Oyin Honey Hemp (did not work at all – no moisture, no slip, no anything)

- Cheap Conditioners/Dominican Conditioners/Cholesterols (large containers of goopy nothingness that were a huge waste of time and money).

- Joico MRB (the more I use this product, the more I’ve come to realize that it is highly overrated)

- Aubrey Organics Conditioners (way too thick to be ineffective; plus the WC stinks to high heaven)

Dominican Conditioners?! Oh no! Love them :)

MsSanz92

Sulfate free shampoos except Keracare Hydrating Detangling shampoo: My favorite shampoo is Design Essentials Moisture Retention Shampoo but it has ALS however it works well on both my relaxed AND natural hair; my hair feels clean and conditioned even just after shampooing! I'm gonna have to stop using it because I plan on using the CHI Enviro Treatment on my hair and I have to use a sulfate free shampoo to maintain it. Keracare is the only sulfate free shampoo that actually cleans my hair without drying it out, so I will be switching to that.

Shea butter: Does nothing for my hair but sit on top of it and make it greasy. And that crap is in everything geared towards natural hair which sucks! It works great on my skin though

Olive Oil: Does nothing and makes my hair kinda crunchy. But coconut oil is AMAZING! I might try avocado oil soon

Not using cones: My hair would be a tangly mess! Now I plan on using less cones i.e. by only cowashing with cone free conditioners but I need some cones because I use heat and I need them to help detangle my hair

NaiyaAi

NTM leave-in: Great detangler, but left my hair feeling sticky and weird, wet or dry, and I wasn't too crazy about the smell. If I cost less, I would probably still use it for my rollersets just for the detangling BUT...

PROTEIN: OMG NOOOO. :nono: And that's all I have to say about that.

Washing in the shower: Don't like it. I don't like all those products running down my back, it creeps me out. The temperature at which I was my hair is way too cold for my body to handle, and I can't really get a good feel for detangling. Plus I'm not about to hop in and out and in again so I can DC.

Sealing: Unless I'm using water, which I only do on my new growth, I don't seal my moisturizer. I see no noticeable difference in my hair so why waste product?

Stretching: So much breakage, it wasn't even funny, and I barely touched my hair during that time.

Air drying: Again: breakage. Anything I put on my hair afterwards tends to just sit on top of it and not do anything, and it's just one painful mess. And it took too long for my hair to dry.

Tresemme Anti-Breakage shampoo: Stripped the hell out of my hair. Left it tangled and matted. Serves me right for cheating on my beloved Pantene just because the other one was cheaper.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Gonna have to add Kenra MC to this thread...it's just meh to me. I liked Elasta QP Intense much better. May go back to that.

Sent from my 4G Thunderbolt using LHCF app

OsnapCnapp!

Denman brush-headed for 2nd BC because of it

Sulfate shampoos-shrinks and dries out my hair

Overnight DC'ing-hair was too moisturized. When I rinsed in the AM, lots of hair was actually falling out!

Using ONLY natural products-nah, I need something thick and heavy or else my hair will be a dry, tangly mess. natural products are too lite to be used alone

Finger detangling/combing-Nope! Have to at least use my magic star jumbo

Braid extensions-breakage full circle, edges just recovering from 2 years ago

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Coconut oil...bleh..
AO Honeysuckle Rose :nono:
Shea Butter
ORS Replenishing condish :nono:

Sent from my 4G Thunderbolt using LHCF app

Last edited:

Ann0804

CJ curl rehab- didn't react like a deep conditioning treatment on my hair. My hair was dry after using it like I didn't just use a dc treatment.
CJ Argan and Olive Oil conditioner: made my hair hard.
CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo: very stripping/drying. This is more so for oily hair types.
Steaming: made my hair hard and dry
MSM: gave me headaches and I started growing neck hair- lol
Biotin: got huge acne breakouts all over my face
Eco Styler Gel: makes my hair hard and crunchy
Oyin Hair Dew: What is this for again because it's like applying nothing to my hair.
BASK Cacao Bark: Does not act as a deep conditioner on my hair but it works well as a pre poo when I mix in brazil nut butter, honey, and banana puree.
KCKT: Doesn't do anything to my hair at all.
MTG: Made my hair smell like bacon and it seemed to make my edges disappear.
Joico K pac reconstructor: Made my hair tangle with tons of SSK everywhere. Hair was hard as a brick. The SSKs did disappear after a dc treatment but the protein was too much for my hair.

chocolat79

Aloe Vera Juice....my hair hates it by itself. I tried to spray it on my hair as a moisturizer...:nono: It's okay if it's mixed in with other products, but it does nothing for my hair.

Giovanni Leave-In....used to work great, now it's a total waste of money.

Bee Mine Hair Milk....no ma'am. As a matter of fact, all Bee Mine products do nothing for my hair.

Denman Brush...waste.of.money.

Olive Oil....:nono: makes my hair a crunchy, dry mess

Coconut Oil...too light and just sits there looking shiny

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

any medium to hard protein: major breakage no matter how much moisture intake without it my hair thrives. So I just have to ignore the praises of proteins like aphogee

1beautiijunkii

Texlaxing. I had been natural for 6 years, BC'd in 2006 and had a moment of utter stupidity and thought "maybe I'll just texlax and not fully process my hair, just loosen the curl pattern a bit". WRONG!!! I set myself back years and now I'm transitioning again but hoping to not have to BC again.

spellinto

Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo. Guess I'll never know what the hype was about because that shampoo did absolutely nothing for my hair!

ORS Edge Control. It did the job but not without caking/flaking in my hair, plus the effects really didn't last that long.

Elasta QP Mango Butter...that famous moisturizer that thick haired ladies seem to swear by. It was just petroleum-laden goop to me and did nothing for my hair but make it feel coated.