Half wig for growth

Ok guys, I decided to try wigs as a protective style, the full wigs are not going to work, I look like a conehead. So, I decided to try half wigs. My question to you all is have you had any setbacks from half wigs? I'm really trying to make sure Im making the right decision.

Thanks.

msa

I love half wigs. I'm back in one right now.

A few things you should know:
1) Take out the combs. Definitely take out the ones in the back. If you have to leave the combs in the front, then fine but be very careful. When I wear mine with the combs in the front I pour castor oil over the teeth and pour castor oil on my hair. That way the teeth won't be resting in my dry hair.

2) Take care of your hair underneath. Some people wear wig caps, I don't. But make sure you're keeping up with your regular regimen. Some people wear buns under their wigs, which I don't understand. I would say put your hair in some twist or braids. I do celie braids. But you could use cornrows or whatever.

3) Be especially careful of the hair you leave out, if you leave any out. I just wear a headband and don't leave any hair out. But, make sure you are moisturizing it well and not overusing heat just to get it to blend.

4) Experiment and have fun! Look at the wig challenge threads to get more tips and helpful hints.

MissNina

Libra Girl
I haven't had any setbacks at all. I rock a low wet bun under there all the time and I sleep in mine too :lachen: I don't even care! I totally recommend them. They helped get me to where I'm at (past APL/*barely* BSL) with cute styles and without having to walk around with a bun showing all day!

I'm sure taking out the combs may be helpful but I never did that and still no issues. I just secured them VERY lightly. . .esp in the back. If I feel any tension or pressure, I redo and make sure it's loose and can barely feel them. I then use bobby pins on the sides to secure them without damage. HTH :)

Last edited:

msa

I rock a low wet bun under there all the time... :)

How do you do that?

Isn't there a bump where the bun is? It doesn't make the wig look funny? What if somebody touches your head? I really don't understand how this works. If my braids are too large under my wig it looks funny.

MissNina

Libra Girl
How do you do that?

Isn't there a bump where the bun is? It doesn't make the wig look funny? What if somebody touches your head? I really don't understand how this works. If my braids are too large under my wig it looks funny.

Naw girl! There is no noticeable bump. I do I think what is a called a cinnamon bun. I lightly swirl/twist the ponytail, wrap the hair around itself as flat to my head as possible and add another soft, loose band on the outside to hold the ends. So it's a pretty small bun. . .it's not HUGE. I'm relaxed so it's fairly easy. IDK if it would be that easy as a natural b/c the hair might be too thick.

Depending on the wig the spot varies, but I place the bun where it will be covered by the thickest part of the wig. . .which is usually towards the combs in the back. . .by the nape. So I place the bun there and just cover it with the wig. I still leave hair out in the front to blend most times. If not, I'll just rock a headband over the whole thing.

Nobody (outside of the boo) touches my hair long enough to notice except ppl I don't care knowing like my bff (he has a hair fetish and knows how I get down lol). And honestly, usually, even when ppl weave check me with it, they tend to check the MIDDLE or towards the nape but never as low as where the bun is actually placed. . .if that makes sense?

Now, when I'm gonna be around the boo all day or going on a date, I don't do it. I try to rock my own hair or just do the wig with my hair pinned up flat to my head underneath. I don't like the lil wig stocking caps :nono: Hope this makes sense.

msa

Naw girl! There is no noticeable bump. I do I think what is a called a cinnamon bun. I lightly swirl/twist the ponytail, wrap the hair around itself as flat to my head as possible and add another soft, loose band on the outside to hold the ends. So it's a pretty small bun. . .it's not HUGE. I'm relaxed so it's fairly easy. IDK if it would be that easy as a natural b/c the hair might be too thick.

Depending on the wig the spot varies, but I place the bun where it will be covered by the thickest part of the wig. . .which is usually towards the combs in the back. . .by the nape. So I place the bun there and just cover it with the wig. I still leave hair out in the front to blend most times. If not, I'll just rock a headband over the whole thing.

Nobody (outside of the boo) touches my hair long enough to notice except ppl I don't care knowing like my bff (he has a hair fetish and knows how I get down lol). And honestly, usually, even when ppl weave check me with it, they tend to check the MIDDLE or towards the nape but never as low as where the bun is actually placed. . .if that makes sense?

Now, when I'm gonna be around the boo all day or going on a date, I don't do it. I try to rock my own hair or just do the wig with my hair pinned up flat to my head underneath. I don't like the lil wig stocking caps :nono: Hope this makes sense.

Ok I understand now. Maybe it is because I'm natural. I have to twist or braid my hair for it to work. It wouldn't really feel like a protective style to me if I was wearing a bun underneath. Maybe because buns take so much manipulation.

I don't wear a stocking cap though...I feel like that would be super uncomfortable. And, usually my hair is wet when I put the wig on so I like for it to be able to breathe.

MissNina

Libra Girl
Ok I understand now. Maybe it is because I'm natural. I have to twist or braid my hair for it to work. It wouldn't really feel like a protective style to me if I was wearing a bun underneath. Maybe because buns take so much manipulation.

I don't wear a stocking cap though...I feel like that would be super uncomfortable. And, usually my hair is wet when I put the wig on so I like for it to be able to breathe.

Yeah, I hear you. I leave my buns in until the next time I wash usually. However, come summer I'll be cowashing a lot more so I'll be doing the wet bun like every other day. It really helps a lot b/c it allows my hair to airdry without having to do a wash n go or worry about styling.

I agree. . .the stocking caps suck! I only use them to try the wigs on at the BSS.

msa

No favorite brands, but hairsisters.com is a great place to shop for wigs. And you'd be surprised what you find in your local BSS.

I go for wigs that look like they could realistically be my hair. Right now I'm wearing one that's shoulder length and looks like blowdried type 4 hair. I don't have to leave any hair out in the front, I just wear a headband and push it back so people can see the front of my hair. It literally looks like my hair.

Here's a link:
http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/Vie...ortName=product_sort&sortValue=desc&type=cate

I love it. It's not as fluffed out as on the model but it's really soft. I'm going back to the BSS to get a few more because I have a feeling I'll be wearing it for a while.

MissNina

Libra Girl
I don't really have a fav brand. I try them on @ the BSS and go with the one I like the best. The "nappier" they get, the more realistic they look b/c they lose a lot of that fresh look. I only rebuy one like every 4 months or so. I haven't bought a new one since last Nov. . .I only buy synthetic.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I don't mean to jack your thread, but I just starting using the half wigs too and was wondering a few things...
My hair is naturally black (1) but alot of it looks like 1b due to relaxing. Is there a way to blend my synthetic wig (which is a very shiny 1) with my hair?
How do I make it less shiny?

Faith

Why a conehead? Did it not fit right maybe?

Ok guys, I decided to try wigs as a protective style, the full wigs are not going to work, I look like a conehead. So, I decided to try half wigs. My question to you all is have you had any setbacks from half wigs? I'm really trying to make sure Im making the right decision.

Thanks.

msa

I don't mean to jack your thread, but I just starting using the half wigs too and was wondering a few things...
My hair is naturally black (1) but alot of it looks like 1b due to relaxing. Is there a way to blend my synthetic wig (which is a very shiny 1) with my hair?
How do I make it less shiny?

In the wig challenge 2007, 2008, and 2009 threads there are lots of tips about blending and making wigs less shiny.

Lady S

I use half wigs a lot. Even with my current TWA, I stick one on with a headband and keep it moving.

I do agree that you have to be careful with the combs. I usually slick mine with either oil, grease, or a hair butter.

I use wig caps, but I always make sure to take care of my hair underneath and make sure the caps aren't too tight.

I usually stick with Freetress, Outre, & Sensationnel. My absolute favorite half wig that I wore to death and need to buy another one was a Sensationnel. I get mine from www.goldenmartbeautysupply.com and hairsisters.com

msa

I use half wigs a lot. Even with my current TWA, I stick one on with a headband and keep it moving.

I do agree that you have to be careful with the combs. I usually slick mine with either oil, grease, or a hair butter.

I use wig caps, but I always make sure to take care of my hair underneath and make sure the caps aren't too tight.

I usually stick with Freetress, Outre, & Sensationnel. My absolute favorite half wig that I wore to death and need to buy another one was a Sensationnel. I get mine from www.goldenmartbeautysupply.com and hairsisters.com

Which Sensationnel wig was it that's your fave?