Styling Products For Pressed/Ironed Natural Hair?

ladymadonna

HELP! I recently started flat ironing my natural hair (shoulder length) and need suggestions for styling products. In the past I used alcohol free moussse and setting lotions, but these make mt hair revert to the natural state!

Any suggestions? My hair is so long now and refuses to hold a curl.

When my hair was natural and pressed I used Miss Cool 5 Minute Fast Set Setting Lotion and did not have problems with my brastrap length hair reverting. It was gentle to the hair and didn't dry my ends. This is an old product and the Soft Sheen Company may not make it anymore, but sometimes Oriental BSS may still have such products in stock.
Revlon makes a product called Lottabody creamwrap that you may be able to use. Water is the first ingredient, but it has a creamy texture. I can't guarantee it won't revert your hair, I have only used it on my relaxed hair, but maybe used sparingly it might be suitable. HTH

SVT

Re: Styling Products For Pressed/Ironed Natural H

The only things I can suggest are spritzes and hair sprays but those have alcohol in them.

I don't like using water based styling products on my pressed hair.

caress

When I pressed my hair I just used oils, pomades and wax. To smooth my edges I used Beyond The Zone Stiff Head from Sally Beauty Supply. Here's a link: http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=140106&dept%5Fid=1340

Beyond The Zone Stiff Head
By: Beyond The Zone, Inc.

Sally Item #: 140106

Hair styling wax for that incredibly sexy, just-got-out-of-bed look.

Size: 3 oz

Go for the funkiest, sexiest looks that are pimp with Beyond the Zone Stiff Head.
# Easy to use stick
# Provides instant texture
# Allows total styling control
# Leaves hair with an all-out shine
# Creates soft, sexy, tousled hair with pliable hold
# Supports, structures, separates and defines for radical styling

Usage Tips
For a softer, tousled look, slick Stiff Head into palms of hands and rumple hair lightly.

What results are you looking for in a styling product exactly? Maybe I can help you.

CocoaButterflyy

when I wore my hair pressed I was an aveda product junky
I used the anti humectant hair pomade
at night was the only time I used a water based moisturizer (universal styling creme) and to that I added a drop of oil and I would either wrap my hair or roll it and it wouldnt revert
and I would use the brilliant hair spray to hold curls (the spray isnt alcohol based either and it holds)

babyblue

ultra sheen satin creme press

also I saw a waterless gel advertised in a hair magazine last time. I think the company was called Janol. i think this would be a good product for hold that wouldnt cause reversion like water based gel. I havent seen it in any stores yet though.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
CocoaButterflyy said:
...I would use the [Aveda] brilliant hair spray to hold curls (the spray isnt alcohol based either and it holds)

[/ QUOTE ]

Holds curls on pressed hair without alcohol?

I'm adding this to my To Try List!

caress

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
also I saw a waterless gel advertised in a hair magazine last time. I think the company was called Janol. i think this would be a good product for hold that wouldnt cause reversion like water based gel. I havent seen it in any stores yet though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had been wanting to try this when I was pressing my hair but never got around to ordering it. It seems like a good concept.

jaibee

what is a good oil to press in? I am two months post relaxer and I press my new growth. I like oil/sprays but sometimes it causes too much smoke. i've tried ultra sheen creme press but that stuff is just TOOOOO greasy. what is a good oil that doesn't make it look like you're burning down your house?

caress

Well I find that it's best to use a pressing oil/creme on wet hair before blowdrying or airdrying. Then you should use your flatiron or pressing comb. The hair will be less greasy. Also remember that less is more. With that said I like Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Press but I like Dudley Creme Press better because it is less greasy and it has a better smell.