When and how often should I do a protein treatment?

Blessedwithabundance14

I am trying to grow my hair and both my daughter's hair to longer lengths and want the health as well. I have not used a protein treatment at all and was not sure how/when a protein treatment is needed, or which one to use. Please help!

lilyofthenile

I used to do it once a week.

But what I have really started to do is just to listen to my hair. There are signs that basically tell you that you might need to do a protein DC.

Those signs include mushy, very soft and limp hair.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Others will chime in however my understanding is that naturals don't really need protein treatments. For my dd (natural) I use a silica based conditioner on her and I've never done any protein treatments on her...I did a wet strand test the other day and couldn't believe how strong her hair is.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Wet strand test is taking a piece of shed hair that is wet and clean and gently pulling on either end to test the elasticity of the hair. Hair that you can pull and doesn't return to it's original state like pulling a strand of gum is in need of protein and is overloaded in moisture. Hair that snaps quickly as you pull is in need of moisture and too dry or protein overloaded. You want hair that pull and returns to it's natural state like a rubber band. Not everyone does it so it may or may not be something you want to incorporate. I do it regularly to keep me balanced but again I am relaxed.

Diva_Esq

My opinion differs from those above. I don't do any wet strand tests, and to be honest, I never heard of the term until now and I've been on this journey for several years. But, sometimes you miss things.

I second the person above who said "listen to your hair." I usually do a protein treatment about 1-2x a month, and definitely after I flat iron. I usually know my hair needs protein when it is overly frizzy and won't style in the normal manner b/c the frizz takes over. It probably varies from head to head. But as a natural, I need moisture way more than protein, but I do need the occasional protein treatment too, especially after using heat.