What is the difference between Texlax a texturizer and a relaxer

tifill

Ladies
I am new here and I am trying to figure all this out. I need cliff notes to get through all the info on these boards lol. (this is great ) I just wanted to know the difference between texlax(I am not sure I am spelling it right), relaxer or texturizer. I currently have a relxer and I want to get rid of it so that I can have somewhat of a wavy manageable look is that a texturizer or is that a texlax and can I have a texlax eventhough I still have relaxed hair. I am due for a relaxer but I want to try something different can someone help me. If I get a texturizer can I do it at home. Phew I am so lost.

cutenaynay

Ladies
I am new here and I am trying to figure all this out. I need cliff notes to get through all the info on these boards lol. (this is great ) I just wanted to know the difference between texlax(I am not sure I am spelling it right), relaxer or texturizer. I currently have a relxer and I want to get rid of it so that I can have somewhat of a wavy manageable look is that a texturizer or is that a texlax and can I have a texlax eventhough I still have relaxed hair. I am due for a relaxer but I want to try something different can someone help me. If I get a texturizer can I do it at home. Phew I am so lost.

i want to know too..bump

MrsQueeny

Girl, IMO a texlax (I hate that word) and a texturizer are the same thing. They both loosen the texture but don't make you hair completely straight. Folks can say what they wanna but that is how I feel about it!!! Q

Caramela

IMO....
it's probably a similar chemical but it's more about the time it's left on...
texturizer will smooth the frizz without removing the curl pattern, a texlax relaxes the curl pattern slightly, you'd still have body but it would be on the straighter side, and a relaxer is when you almost completely or completely remove the curl pattern acheiving the straightest styles.

PaperClip

Relaxer Rehab and Queeny20 I want to see you in here.

Coming out of hiatus for YOU, Dlewis....

Basic difference? Nothing

Only PERCEIVABLE difference? Length of time the chemical straightener cough>creamycrack<cough is on your hair.

**Goes back on haitus**

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Girl, IMO a texlax (I hate that word) and a texturizer are the same thing. They both loosen the texture but don't make you hair completely straight. Folks can say what they wanna but that is how I feel about it!!! Q

I feel the same way:grin:

HoneyDew

IMO....
texturizer will smooth the frizz without removing the curl pattern, a texlax relaxes the curl pattern slightly, you'd still have body but it would be on the straighter side, and a relaxer is when you almost completely or completely remove the curl pattern acheiving the straightest styles.

I agree.

Honestly, I never say I am texlaxed unless I am on this board - just an easy way to lt someone know that my hair is not bone straight.

As far as I am concerned I am relaxed and I think most "texlaxed" ladies feel the same way.

I am one that does not do it on purpose though. My hair just doesn't go bone straight.

But, my hair is relaxed no matter what.

Tee

IMO....

You explained it very well. :yep::yep::yep:

OP...you can buy an actual texturizer. I wouldn't put that in my hair. So it's not the same as texlaxing. With Texlaxing (Yes, a made up word on here I am sure) you leave the relaxer in your hair for a shorter time period. But don't go to a BSS and buy a texturizer thinking you are texlaxing.:nono::nono:Not the same. Texlaxing and relaxing.....same chemical.

Last edited:

Tee

I agree.

Honestly, I never say I am texlaxed unless I am on this board - just an easy way to lt someone know that my hair is not bone straight.

As far as I am concerned I am relaxed and I think most "texlaxed" ladies feel the same way.

I am one that does not do it on purpose though. My hair just doesn't go bone straight.

But, my hair is relaxed no matter what.

Exactly. Great post HoneyDew.

MrsQueeny

You explained it very well. :yep::yep::yep:

OP...you can buy an actual texturizer. I wouldn't put that in my hair. So it's not the same as texlaxing. With Texlaxing (Yes, a made up word on here I am sure) you leave the relaxer in your hair for a shorter time period. But don't go to a BSS and buy a texturizer thinking you are texlaxing.:nono::nono:Not the same. Texlaxing and relaxing.....same chemical.

Oh goodness not you too Tee!!!! Q

MrsQueeny

Dont resist!!

Its takin ova!!!!! :lachen::lachen:

In the words of Tee's daughter K, NEVER, EVER, EVERLASTING. I feel if you put something on your hair that permanently changes your texture but doesn't make it straight, that is a texturizer plain and simple. It can be lye, no lye, in a box, off the shelf, from the ground, grown on trees, whatever. If it changes the texture it is a texturizer. Tis all.

OT: I have over 9000 posts now!!! Q

Last edited:

Mook's hair

In the words of Tee's daughter K, NEVER, EVER, EVERLASTING. I feel if you put something on your hair that permanently changes your texture but doesn't make it straight, that is a texturizer plain and simple. It can be lye, no lye, in a box, off the shelf, from the ground, grown on trees, whatever. If it changes the texture it is a texturizer. Tis all.

OT: I have over 9000 posts now!!! Q
:lachen: :lachen:Queeny, you are too much.

I personally don't think of the natural stuff as texturizers. . .
Like the baking soda or the lime & milk or the caramel treamtents that are meant to loosen the curl pattern.

I think my view is closer to Tee's explanation.

MrsQueeny

:lachen: :lachen:Queeny, you are too much.

I personally don't think of the natural stuff as texturizers. . .
Like the baking soda or the lime & milk or the caramel treamtents that are meant to loosen the curl pattern.

I think my view is closer to Tee's explanation.

That is why I said if it "permanently" changes the texture. OT: How you doing girlie? Q

Tee

Look at you trying to instigate!

Yes she is. lol

Q....You straight cutting up! lol. (loving my baby's saying)

It's a chemical and we know this. But a texturizer is more like a S-curl box kit. I would compare those more to Jerri curls. I dont think I have seen but one true texturizer on this board.

Texturizer

MrsQueeny

Yes she is. lol

It's a chemical and we know this. But a texturizer is more like a S-curl box kit. I would compare those more to Jerri curls. I dont think I have seen but one true texturizer on this board.

Texturizer

Nope still not buying it. The texture may be curlier, wavier, or straighter, but it still changes it hence texturizer. I still lub you though. :kiss: Q

Tee

Nope still not buying it. The texture may be curlier, wavier, or straighter, but it still changes it hence texturizer. I still lub you though. :kiss: Q

I love you too Q. ;) :sneakyhug: You my sista true blue! Honest question. Would you put a jerri curl in the same category as a texturizer, and relaxer and call it a texturizer too???

OP....Pleasee don't buy a texturizer kit okay. (Not saying you are, but if you decide to 'texlax', use a good relax. There is a difference in the chemicals.)

MrsQueeny

I love you too Q. ;) :sneakyhug: You my sista true blue! Honest question. Would you put a jerri curl in the same category as a texturizer, and relaxer and call it a texturizer too???

OP....Pleasee don't buy a texturizer kit okay. (Not saying you are, but if you decide to 'texlax', use a good relax. There is a difference in the chemicals.)

Yes I would. It changes the texture as well. And if I texturized I would probably use a really good relaxer as well. You know I don't play when it comes to my hair!!! Q

Yes she is. lol

Texturizer

actually these contain the same chemicals (hydroxides) as a relaxer. the only difference is the amount. jheri curl is an entirely different chemical(thioglycolate).

Tee

actually these contain the same chemicals (hydroxides) as a relaxer. the only difference is the amount. jheri curl is an entirely different chemical(thioglycolate).

Right, I know a jerri curl is different. I am speaking more on the the look of the texiturizer and the jerri curl. The texture of the hair change. But it's all good lady. Just getting some clarify from my sis Queeny here. ;) I honestly could care less about what chemical is in them. We all know it's a chemical either way. I am not disputing that. But carry on. T

Tee

Yes I would. It changes the texture as well. And if I texturized I would probably use a really good relaxer as well. You know I don't play when it comes to my hair!!! Q

Alright Queeny. I see what you mean now. You are putting everything that changes the texture of the nature hair in the texturized box. I got your viewpoint now lady. ;)

And I am lol at the bold!!! Yes, hair is some serious business. You would just straight up relax!