How do I stop my hair from shedding so much?

appledumplin80

I need help! Everytime I do my hair it sheds so much so that I am becoming extremely concerned. It has only happened since I started to get my hair permed. If you have any suggestions or know of any products that would help please let me know.

debyjay

Hey Appledumplin80!!!

Welcome to the forum girlie. You're gonna get great advice here. I am shedding and breaking a lot too and have tried everything under the sun so now I just try not to to manipulate my hair too much. Have you tried a protein treatment? That usually works, follow up with a moisturizing conditioner of course. Anyway Just wanted to say welcome. I'm sure the experts will help you out.

Tonya

I am doing protein and moistiring conditioners and I am still loosing alot of hair!!!

Chichi

Don't know why but Hennalucent kept my hair strong. I wasn't shedding before but now hardly any hairs fall out.

It kinda makes your hair hard at first so I followed up with frequent conditioner rinses.

Anyone else get this kind of result with Hennalucent?

Chichi

Give Nutrine garlic shampoo a try. I tried everything from Nexxus Emergencee to Motions CPR to Aphogee treatment for damaged hair and nothing worked until i got my hand on this one bottle for just $3.99. Goes to show you that it's not only the price that matters

joyous

[ QUOTE ]
Meinzzfuture said:
Give Nutrine garlic shampoo a try. I tried everything from Nexxus Emergencee to Motions CPR to Aphogee treatment for damaged hair and nothing worked until i got my hand on this one bottle for just $3.99. Goes to show you that it's not only the price that matters

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been preaching this for years. Garlic shampoo is the only thing that has ever stopped my shedding. One wash almost completely stopped it. Be sure to follow the directions precisely. Also I just shampoo my scalp with this and I put conditioner on the rest of the hair. Garlic shampoo can be very drying so after washing follow up with a good deep conditioner.

26INCHHAIR

My hair sheds too. But remmeber you lose like 20-100 hairs a day. I try to use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, it really helps. I also use vaseline and olive oil and wave novea gel type stuff, i think that will really help. Make sure that ur coms's teeth arent too small

asummertyme

i have been doing the conditioning washes for the past few days and i hardly get any shed at all these days...its been great!!

Brownie

---I THINK MSM is supposed to help in increasing the growing time of your strands (so, you'll have less shedding). I've been having success with it so far.

---The b-vitamins inositol and choline are supposed to help with shedding also.

I stopped taking birth control pills a while ago, and I waited for the shedding to start 3-4 months later because of the hormonal changes, but so far, I've had no problems.

I think it would be helpful to increase the amount of essential fatty acids (omega 3 and omega 6) you're taking also because these nourish the scalp (Evening Primrose and Flax seed oil (or fish oil).

Good luck and try not to worry so much. It is normal to lose 50-100 strands a day. If you have long hair, 100 strands can look like a lot when balled up, so you might not have a problem.

aqualung

My fine 4b hair turns into barbed wire at the THOUGHT of a protein treatment like Aubrey Organics GPB or Motions silk protein conditioner. My stylist scolded me to lay off the protein when he saw the after affects of just 3-5 minutes of exposure.

Clairol Renewal 5X conditioner ($3) for dry/damaged hair strengthens it sufficiently. I do not get that too-soft and shedding phenomenon when I use CR5X conditioner consistently for my CO washes. It detangles pretty well, but I follow up with Biolage leave in tonic to detangle very easily.

lalah

I noticed you said that this started happening after you started getting relaxers. If you are waiting too long to do a touch up, that causes shedding too- as this has been my experience over the yrs. You have to figure out how long to wait is best for your hair.

azul11

[ QUOTE ]
Meinzzfuture said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what stores carry this line? God bless you all.

Iammoney

Wealth magnet
my mom has cancer and once she started to use alove vera
gel in her hair it stopped she also takes half a clove of
garlic everyday and her is thicker now than before the cancer

Iammoney

Wealth magnet
my mom has cancer and once she started to use alove vera
gel in her hair it stopped she also takes half a clove of
garlic everyday and her is thicker now than before the cancer

debyjay

Okay, appledumplin80 and Tonya -- girls I managed to lose only a very small amount of hair during my wash this morning. You guys know how much we shedders and breakers lose on wash day. This is what I did, thanks to Meinzzfuture who suggested garlic shampoo. I went out and got a bottle, I also got the conditioner. Follow the directions on the containers. I also did a deep condition treatment with Nexxus Humectress right after because the shampoo made my hair feel like it was clarified. The conditioner is great and very detangling. Give this a try ladies. I usually have to clean my comb of hair about three to four times when I wash coz I lose so much -- not today. Not even once, this is a first for me. I was able to clean my conmb when I was finished rollersetting. I am sitting under a warm dryer now, I'll post my results when I'm all dried and I comb my dry hair.

Yippee debyjay. your hair stopped shedding? Thats good to hear. Which brand of garlic shampoo did you use. Im so grateful for the lady in teh beauty supply store who told me to give it a try. I didnt see why a shampoo would make my hair stop shedding when expensive protein conditioners wouldnt but it worked

debyjay

[ QUOTE ]
Meinzzfuture said:
Yippee debyjay. your hair stopped shedding? Thats good to hear. Which brand of garlic shampoo did you use. Im so grateful for the lady in teh beauty supply store who told me to give it a try. I didnt see why a shampoo would make my hair stop shedding when expensive protein conditioners wouldnt but it worked

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl I used the Nutrine just like you suggested, I can't thank you enough. I did get the unscented one coz the regular one smelled hella bad when I put my nose to it in the bss. I was planning on buying the smelly one if this one didn't work, I don't think I'll need to as after only one wash it's much much better. I got the conditioner too, it has aloe and and castor oil so you know it's nice. Thanks again girlie.

hera

hi..can't seem to find that garlic shampoo..anyone know a good site where I can buy this from?

Iammoney

Wealth magnet
debyjay
My mom swallows it whole in a gulp of water
yuck
she keeps telling me to do it not only for the hair but
its good to keep your bad cholesterol down

joyous

[ QUOTE ]
debyjay said:
[ QUOTE ]
Meinzzfuture said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl I used the Nutrine just like you suggested, I can't thank you enough. I did get the unscented one coz the regular one smelled hella bad when I put my nose to it in the bss. I was planning on buying the smelly one if this one didn't work, I don't think I'll need to as after only one wash it's much much better. I got the conditioner too, it has aloe and and castor oil so you know it's nice. Thanks again girlie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies isn't this stuff something. It stops shedding dead in it tracks. Even when I had serious shedding it stopped it. I've been doing this for years and also posted this on a much earlier thread. It definitely works.

Debyjay I'm so glad that it worked for you and Meinzzfuture thanks for posting that it really works.

joyous

[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:
How often do you shampoo with the Garlic shampoo to keep the shedding down?

[/ QUOTE ]
I see results in 1 shampoo, if it starts to shed again then I shampoo as needed.

cabogirl

i do cholesterol treatments on a regular basis but it didn't solve my shedding problem.
what do u guys consider as a good substitute for Aphogee?
'cos i can't find this brand anywhere in belgium...

[ QUOTE ]
joyous said:
[ QUOTE ]
Meinzzfuture said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been preaching this for years. Garlic shampoo is the only thing that has ever stopped my shedding. One wash almost completely stopped it. Be sure to follow the directions precisely. Also I just shampoo my scalp with this and I put conditioner on the rest of the hair. Garlic shampoo can be very drying so after washing follow up with a good deep conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been wanting to add this to my "hair emergency kit." I notice that Queene Helene also makes garlic shampoo/conditioner. Anyone use their brand with sucess? (Or any other brand?)