Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

faithVA

I am just exploring some different twist styles, and would love to participate. I don't know how to upload pictures.

Seamonster, give us your starting questions when you get a chance.

1. Your go to twist style
  2. Your twist care regimen
  3. What you hope to achieve by December
  4. Anything else you would like to share.

faithVA

I might just need to put the scissors down :spinning:

Put the scissors down. Walk away from the scissors. :lol: If you are wearing twists until the end of the year they don't need to be even. So decide in December if you want to trim it a bit. :yep:

Since then have been incorporating more cornrow twists (is there another name for this?

That's what I would call it. I have a simpler form in my album.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
This is my set of twists from last Friday. Keeping them in until next Friday. My Go to style will be styled 2 strand twists.

What you hope to achieve by December

1. 1.5-2 inches of solid growth
2. Minimized ssk
3. Happy scalp

My new plan is to:

Moisturize at night only.. with my aloe vera spritz and seal with elasta qp olive oil and mango butter
Then spray with Jamaican Lime detangling spray (will not be repurchasing this.. it makes my hair feel GREAT but the first few ingredients are questionable). Not sure how I overlooked them when I made the purchase.

Baggy ends at night.

In the morning (as needed) apply oil to braids for shine.

Every 2 days or so oil my scalp.

This Friday makes week 1 in my current twists.
They are kind of fuzzy (due to moisturizing 2xs a day every day) but I plan on keeping them in and retwisting next Friday.

After this 2 week set I plan on keeping them in for 3-4 weeks minimum.
Once down: wash, DC blow dry and do them over. No out styles (if possible).

Seamonster

Go to twist style: I like to experiment with different twist styles, next I am going to try twist buns with flat twist.

Twist care Regimen: I am going to sleep with a wig cap to try to hold the style. Going to co wash with an applicator bottle, so I can keep my scalp clean.

Co wash every other day, DC weekly, gel old twist into style, oil hair and scalp, baggy nightly. Monthly trim, Seek and Destroy every other week.

Hope to Achieve: Reduction in SSK, No Splits/Cracks, Healthy thick Hair. Reach Hair Growth milestone of BSL

Seamonster, give us your starting questions when you get a chance.

1. Your go to twist style
  2. Your twist care regimen
  4. Anything else you would like to share.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I'm sooooo in.

1. Your go to twist style: two strand twists/flat twists/ bantu knots (I twist my knots first)

2. Your twist care regimen: Daily moisture and concentrating lubricating my ends. I'm going to be co-washing a few times a week so I'll be redoing them a bit. If time permits, I'll be doing more scalp massages to promote growth.

3. What you hope to achieve by December: Id love to be at APL but I'll be happy with any amount of retention from now until then. :yep:

4. Anything else you would like to share: When twisted (I twist on wet/damp hair) the back falls to my shoulders/CBL. When dry they're at the nape of my neck.

NaijaNaps

this hairstylel is so great !!! and my hair texture seems similar to your !! :yep:
have you ever think about putting your lil ponytail in a bun !!???

about "ghe" can you detail me exactly what you do??
on wet/damp/dry hair?
how much of oil (just a few on ends or you saturate hair? only ends or scalp too ?)
what do you put? plastic cap/ beanie?? !
for how long ?
sorry for the questions'attack :spinning:

Krystle~Hime

Here's what I posted in the Baggying Challenge Thread:
I've been doing the GHE about 4-5 nights per week for the past month and it's made a tremendous difference in my hair.

I'm rocking twists and moisturize with Kinky Curly and seal with either coconut oil or sweet almond oil. I then do for big cornrow twists all over my head and add a showercap, fitted hair net (mostly to keep the showercap in place) and a scarf. In the morning I take the showercap off as soon as a wake up, go about my morning routine (to have the hair dry a little bit - it's pretty damp when I wake up! I guess my big ole head produces a lot of heat). Then I take the twisted cornrows down to moisturized and slightly stretched twists. I'm a little past shoulder length so the result (based on how I cornrow the hair) is like a cute little twist/bob! I LOVE it

Baggying/GHE will now be a staple in my regimen. It's tried and tested for my very prone to dryness natural hair.

About the bun, I wish my hair was a little bit longer so I can start making a nice full bun. Right now my bun is stingy. :nono: :lol:

NaijaNaps

Put the scissors down. Walk away from the scissors. :lol: If you are wearing twists until the end of the year they don't need to be even. So decide in December if you want to trim it a bit. :yep:

That's what I would call it. I have a simpler form in my album.

Ok, stepping away from the scissors! :lol: I promise to only use them for SSK! Promise!

Uniqzoe

Ohhh! I am so tempted to join this challenge but I'm afraid that I will get bored with twists (as my twisting skills are pretty limited). I just put my hair in twist on Monday and plan to keep it that way for at least 3 weeks. If I decide that I'm in I'll come back and post pics.

13StepsAhead

I'm in I've been in twist since July and plan to keep them in until I reach at least BSL.

Your go to twist style - 2-strand twist in a "roll tuck" style donut bun
Your twist care regimen - Retwist 1x a week (sometimes 2 if I feel like co-washing). 2-3x week moisture spritz and seal with oil.

What you hope to achieve by December - Full APL/Grazing BSL

faithVA

I'm in I've been in twist since July and plan to keep them in until I reach at least BSL.

Your go to twist style - 2-strand twist in a "roll tuck" style donut bun
Your twist care regimen - Retwist 1x a week (sometimes 2 if I feel like co-washing). 2-3x week moisture spritz and seal with oil.

What you hope to achieve by December - Full APL/Grazing BSL

Welcome 13StepsAhead

FroFab

Hope its not too late to join. I followed along to the previous twisiting for growth challenges before becoming a paying member and achieved some good growth.

1. My go to twist style is usually two strand twists in a plain old bun, but I'm trying to improve my efforts and get more creative. I've been trying to learn how to three strand twist of late and I have also been inspired to get creative in styling thanks to Cipriana from Urban Bush Babes.
2. I usually wash and dc prior then late airdry before twisting. As I twist I'll put a bit of moisturizing sealant on each section as I go (this time around it was a bit of shealoe mixed with leave-in). I just did some small-ish twists yesterday and hope to keep them in for 3-4 weeks. My problem is that I have naturally thin strands so my twists tend to start looking deflated. For regular moisture I spritz with water, use some Giovanni leave-in, then use a dab of JC nourish and shine on the ends.
3. My hair is currently hovering somewhere around bsl to mid back length and I'm satisfied with the length but would like to really improve health. I have been dabbling in heat this year and that coupled with post partem shedding (just started), and being too lazy to do anything to my hair b/w being pregnant and caring for a toddler (and now with caring for two children) I have a head full of thin ends and splits. Since April I have cut about 2.5 inches off and have another 2 at least before I can have uniform root to end thickness.
4. Not much else to share except pics but I'm on my phone now and will post them when I get to a real computer.

faithVA

Hope its not too late to join. I followed along to the previous twisiting for growth challenges before becoming a paying member and achieved some good growth.

1. My go to twist style is usually two strand twists in a plain old bun, but I'm trying to improve my efforts and get more creative. I've been trying to learn how to three strand twist of late and I have also been inspired to get creative in styling thanks to Cipriana from Urban Bush Babes.
2. I usually wash and dc prior then late airdry before twisting. As I twist I'll put a bit of moisturizing sealant on each section as I go (this time around it was a bit of shealoe mixed with leave-in). I just did some small-ish twists yesterday and hope to keep them in for 3-4 weeks. My problem is that I have naturally thin strands so my twists tend to start looking deflated. For regular moisture I spritz with water, use some Giovanni leave-in, then use a dab of JC nourish and shine on the ends.
3. My hair is currently hovering somewhere around bsl to mid back length and I'm satisfied with the length but would like to really improve health. I have been dabbling in heat this year and that coupled with post partem shedding (just started), and being too lazy to do anything to my hair b/w being pregnant and caring for a toddler (and now with caring for two children) I have a head full of thin ends and splits. Since April I have cut about 2.5 inches off and have another 2 at least before I can have uniform root to end thickness.
4. Not much else to share except pics but I'm on my phone now and will post them when I get to a real computer.

:welcome: FroFab

faithVA

STYLES, STYLES, STYLES

Ladies, there are 16 weeks between now and January. I will try to find different twist styles and put them all in this one post. Over the next few weeks. If you have a link to a yt video or a website, etc of a style you like post it in this thread or pm me and I will add it to this post.

And if its alright with you ladies, I will use some of the pics already in this thread.

1: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=12845451&postcount=15

2: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=13073235&postcount=264

3: http://theglamourouslife.com/articles/african-american-twist-hairstyles.html

4: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=452976&highlight=twisted+styles

5: http://youtu.be/FJ2ATbFEv9M (added 9/14/11)

6. http://youtu.be/CW3XzoONY04 (added 9/14/11)

7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j5UrYnHoxU (added 9/14/11)

8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahTC1...rNaU_YnPkdnlsg (added 9/14/11)

9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PBvb3lsVD4 (added 9/14/11)

10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6rdpvQzfWs&feature=relmfu
(added 9/14/11)

11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3WQvv8lt_M&feature=feedrec_grec_index (added 9/16/11)

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Here are my three-week old twists. They've been cowashed, bantu-knotted, braided, etc. They've been in a bun all week due to the rain.

MaraWithLove

I'm in! :yep:

1. Your go to twist style: 2-strand twists/flat twists/combination of both
2. Your twist care regimen: Wash and DC, apply leave-in and something creamy, twist hair then spritz with oil mix to seal. Sometimes I use butters as my "something creamy."
Less tangles, keep my hair healthy/improve health, learn to be more creative with twist styles, continue to retain and I'd love to see growth results!

I won't be able to post a pic until tomorrow? Hope that's ok!

TCatt86

I'm in!! I'll twist my hair tomorrow to start the challenge.

Your go to twist style? Stretched two strand twists
Your twist care regimen? I have a pretty simple regimen, sleep with a satin cap, spritz with water and conditioner every day.
What you hope to achieve by December? I'm just hoping for healthier hair.

Last edited:

LaBelleLL

Would love to join! TIA for the add!

My responses:
1. Your go to twist style- single strand twists in some sort of a bun; I like hiding my ends for maximum results

2. Your twist care regimen- co-wash or shampoo (1x/mo), deep condition w/steamer, moisterize with qhemet burdock root and seal with wild growth serum

3. What you hope to achieve by December- much fewer small broken hairs; longer and healthy hair!

4. Anything else you would like to share.- I will start the week of Sept. 11, 2011.

I'm excited!!

ecadnacmc

I'm in. Just twisted my hair on Monday. Mini double stand twists styled in various protective styles.

Henna'd & DC'd before twisting.Cleansing scalp after workouts. Spritzing with home made H2O, AVJ, oil, conditioner mix and sealing with EVCO or AO. Trying to make last for a month and then will redo or do flat twists until January.

Hope to reach healthy thick BSL by January.

Starting picture attached:
uploadfromtaptalk1315536493077.jpg

-PYT

Ok dang it, I'm in! I've been in and out of this thread all week fighting the urge to say something :lol: ahem...

Your go to twist style? two strand twists/mini twists that I will keep for 1-4 weeks at the most
Your twist care regimen? I will spritz my twists with a mix of water and aloe vera and seal with grapeseed oil. Also, I will wash my mini twists at least once a week and twist with JC Nourish and Shine or mango butter
What you hope to achieve by December? By December I hope to have longer, healthier hair..

Starting pic:

ecadnacmc

PYT your twist are gorgeous! I wish mine were as thick as yours. That's why mine are always ps'd because they're so anemic

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

FroFab

PYT your twist are gorgeous! I wish mine were as thick as yours. That's why mine are always ps'd because they're so anemic

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

I'm in the same boat. The only thing that half-way helps is twisting while wet but then they would be so short from shrinkage.