*Rave* Silk Elements Kera Minerals (Sally's Beauty Supply)

Dove56

No formaldehyde. No thioglycolate or sodium hydroxide.
-Reduces frizz up to 90%
-Smoothes unruly unmanageable curl
-Can be used on all type of hair
-Contains seriseal complex
-Lasts 6-8weeks

Instructional video: http://s7d3.scene7.com/s7/video/fla...auty/SallyBeautyVideo&locale=en&vh=375&vw=343

I haven't done a keratin treatment in forever and since I live in Texas and the humidity is kicking into high gear I figured I'd go ahead and do one.

I chose the Silk Elements Kera Minerals treatment because I've heard so many good things about how gentle it is mainly I wanted to use it because you only need *one* pass of the flatiron between 410 - 450 degrees. You can apply this treatment with your bare hands, so no gloves are needed (stated on the box).

Silk Elements Kera Minerals is marketed to people "ethnic" hair so that was appealing to me as well. It is one of the new generation keratin treatments so it doesn't rely on formeldahyde or aldehydes to smooth your hair. The active ingredient is sodium sulfite which has a temporary smoothing effect. Aveda, Bumble and Bumble, Ojon, Keratin Earth (won an Allure award) all have smoothing products that use sulfites for a smoothing effect.

I had my hair "stripped" (bleached/lifted) back in January to remove black dye from my hair to get a lighter color (I have since darkened it again because I missed my dark hair).

Anyhoo, I did a large test spot of the Kera Minerals 2 weeks after having that done because I wanted to see how effective it was and if was gentle. Since the sulfite technology is new I was relucant to put it allover my head without knowing if it would cause breakage. I've been watching it and checking the integrity of it for several months (since January 15th to be exact) AFTER having it bleached and recolored and I didn't experience any breakage or damage.

Yesterday, I did the treatment and it took me about 1.5 hours (I'm pretty quick now since I've been doing them for a few years). I followed the instructions to the "T". I clarified, then applied the smoothing treatment on my damp hair, I let it set for 25 minutes then shampooed. After shampooing it feels sorta "stiff" but as soon as you put the Kera Minerals Deep conditioner on (leave on 2 minutes) your hair feels like pure silk. I rinsed the deep conditioner then used the leave in conditioner provided in the kit (you can purchase these product seperately and they are fabulous!!).

I blow fried my hair then flatironed at 450 degrees using only ONE PASS. The result is EXTRA SILKY just like it was back in January. My hair still has curl so it didn't straighten and that is *very* important to me (I just had 3.5 inches cut from my BSL hair last week to remove straight ends from a formeldahyde based treatment QOD MAX not the Orqaniq version - I need about 1.5 inches cut again to completely remove the straight ends).

The box says it lasts between 6-8 weeks. I still have lasting effects of the last treatment so I think it can last longer if you don't shampoo too often. I am have very, very impressed with the results!

My hair has been a keratin testing site since 2009 lol so I've used formeldahyde (2% and 3.52%), aldehyde (biformyl, glutural), cystine, and now sulfite based treaments. I'm sure at some point I will test the new treatments that use glyoxic acid (Nuaat, GK Hair 'The Best"). I've also used different treatments on my family members.

I think ladies with fine hair or heat sensitive hair will love this treatment because of the minimal heat needed to seal the treatment. My mother and sister both have very fine strands (my strands are medium and very, very strong naturally) and their hair breaks very easily with the "traditional" keratin treatments that need several passes of high heat.

I think this is an excellent product, especially considering it's only $24 and you can purchase it at any Sally's Beauty Supply. :yep::yep:

HTH!

ETA:

I am natural and haven't relaxed or texlaxed in years. My hair is 3c with a little patch of 4a (as I mentioned earlier) very thick in terms of density per square inch with fine (only in the back of my hair ) to medium strands (about 70% medium). My hair is colored treated, bleached/lifted several levels to achieve a level 6 color then dyed darker to about a level 3-4. I am naturally a level 2).

I will post pictures in a few days after I wash again and rollerset. :yep:

Last edited:

candy626

I was about to say you know you need to post some pictures!

I had thought about trying this last year but was skeptical because I couldn't find too many reviews on it with people with my hair type 3c/4a.

lamaria211

Congrats im glad u had such a good experience. I purchased the Kera minerals Deep Conditioner yesteday so im glad to hear that worked well for you to!

noemi

I just purchased this based on your review. I am scared because my hair is bleached and fine. I'm hoping I am as fortunate as you.

This is my first keratin treatment BTW.

Dove56

noemi said:
I just purchased this based on your review. I am scared because my hair is bleached and fine. I'm hoping I am as fortunate as you.

This is my first keratin treatment BTW.

You should be just fine. Do a test spot just to reassure yourself. I love this treatment! :)

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
This sounds like what I've been looking for. I wanted to try one of these but I don't have the time or guts to do 4 or 5 passes per section and all that. This would be more like what I normally do when I flat iron.

What does your hair look like after you wash? do you still have curl pattern? Is it looser or the same? TIA :)

Dove56

This sounds like what I've been looking for. I wanted to try one of these but I don't have the time or guts to do 4 or 5 passes per section and all that. This would be more like what I normally do when I flat iron.

What does your hair look like after you wash? do you still have curl pattern? Is it looser or the same? TIA :)

nurseN98 My curl pattern is a slightly looser, nothing drastic. :yep: I am still a 3c for sure. :) My hair is so shiny and glossy!

Dove56

Congrats im glad u had such a good experience. I purchased the Kera minerals Deep Conditioner yesteday so im glad to hear that worked well for you to!

The Deep Conditioner is wonderful. It is one of the best conditioners I've ever used. I put it right up there with my Macadamia Oil Masque.:yep: I purchased the Kera Minerals leave-conditioner as well to use with my rollerset. :yep:

Ivonnovi

:bump: I am trying this today....as I type

I am newly unlocked, natural and have worn my hair in mini-twists for the past month. My approach is a little unorthadox though:
- I'm processing this with my hair still in twists.
- My hair is divided into 6 sections, and I focused my blowdrying mainly on the roots, while gently blowing the lengths (no more than 2 minutes per section), then put each section into a ponytail to airdry.
- While airdrying I'll complete some other household tasks..[my hair is airdrying now]
- I plan to do 1 pass down the lenght with the flat-iron, then will untwists the length; and will later do a second pass on the loosed &untwisted sections.
- IMHO, I'm substituting all the air-dryng with a 2nd pass with the flat-ironing; this backwards method will make it easier for me to untwist the now elongated mini-twists.

-

Ivonnovi

UPDATE, The extra pass with the flat-iron was good.

HOWEVER, detangeling my hair was a nightmare, it took me almost 3 hours to ensure all the tangles were out. To make matters worse, following the lead of Bootyfurl poster of a youtube video tittled: I Haven't Combed My Hair in 2 years....: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FZ9VdyK754 I've only used brushes or picks to tame my tresses.

So far I've only done one treatment, followed 2 weeks later with a wash-n-twist-to-twistout.

cutenss

Hi Dove56 :wave: I know what you mean about this TX heat. I am so trying this because you reviewed it. I have 3c/4a hair, but it is on the finer side. Thanks you for the review. I will let you know how it goes. Off to google/yt it :)

Dove56

Hi Dove56 :wave: I know what you mean about this TX heat. I am so trying this because you reviewed it. I have 3c/4a hair, but it is on the finer side. Thanks you for the review. I will let you know how it goes. Off to google/yt it :)

Hi cutenss! Be careful with that treatment because it can make your hair bone straight! I hope you are doing well. :)

Ivonnovi

Frizzyb No it doesnt stay straight for ever. It acutally just allows you to straighten it with better results, and some less frizz.

carsmelLites I achieved a fairly nice set of twists with this. I say "fairly nice" because I'm still trying to get the hang of twists.

Dove56

Will it be straight forever ever?

It didn't initially but then it knocked the curl out of my hair. I used it once and never tried it again. I've been using QOD Organiq now and it allows be to go between curly and straight with no reversion in humidity.

Frizzyb

It didn't initially but then it knocked the curl out of my hair. I used it once and never tried it again. I've been using QOD Organiq now and it allows be to go between curly and straight with no reversion in humidity.

What hair type and density would you say you have? I have truly resistant hair and every time in flat iron it just looks like a blow out and I end up in a ponytail.

Dove56

What hair type and density would you say you have? I have truly resistant hair and every time in flat iron it just looks like a blow out and I end up in a ponytail.

I have medium hair that is very thick in density and very strong.

bebezazueta

LOVE IT! It took me 4 hours on my 14 months post transitioning hair. It's shiny, bouncy and strong! I may do this monthly.

Pics: my hair no product, blow dried hair, flat ironed back, flat ironed side & front

Attachments

• image-3926248114.jpg
    image-3926248114.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3580480447.jpg
    image-3580480447.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2167307957.jpg
    image-2167307957.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image-118062804.jpg
    image-118062804.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3870506710.jpg
    image-3870506710.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 52

Dposh167

I tried this a couple months ago. I didn't like how coated my hair felt when i straightened this. Of course this feeling didn't last the whole time. I do plan on doing this again though. It did help loosen the coarseness in my roots.

Sosa

I'm going to give this a try. I tried the Organix BKT from Walmart once...and barely saw any reduction in frizziness. Then again, I live in Florida. In a town often affectionately referred to as "The Swamp" :lol:. yeah, you could cut the humidity with a knife.

I have mbl natural hair so I'm gonna go ahead and get two boxes. Will report back (for real :lol:) when I do.

Sosa

Taking the plunge today. Bought two boxes at Sally's for about $19.99 a pop.

ETA update: I see no big difference in using this and just using my flat iron :-/. Maybe the blow dry was silkier...I'll give it that. The end-results though look pretty much the same as when I use my Croc infrared. I ironed at 400.

Last edited: