CAYENNE PEPPER CHALLENGE 2010-'11

Lady Esquire

This is an old technique...I remember there being a thread about mixing Cayenne pepper with oil to apply to scalp to increase hair growth. This was several years ago. I tried it, but it made my scalp burn like hell (prolly cuz I put in on a freshly washed scalp)! I find that a few "Super Gro" pomades and scalp greases have it in there, along with black pepper. It probably works, though I didn't use long enough to find out!

I may try it again, it may not be that bad on a dry (closed-pore) scalp. I currently use a "super gro" grease on my scalp containing cayenne & black pepper (but in very minute amounts compared to other ingredients). I would like to try this again to see if it works, and alternate with my other growth remedies.

Yeah, I remember reading about it in some old threads. I've always wanted to try it but never got around to it. But I think it may work because when I had peppermint oil in my regular regimen my hair thrived. Stimulating that scalp makes all the difference. I'll report back in a few weeks.

Ok, so this is the shampoo and conditioner that I have. It just says pepper extract on the ingredients and has all sorts of peppers on the front. I guess I need to add some other method of using cayenne huh.

Mmmm, this seems like something I've seen online before. How do you like it?

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
hmmm, i wonder if you can even use the bengay or capsaicin ointment from the tube? hmmmm???

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, still on page one but I wanted to reply just in case no one has answered your question yet. Then I'll go back and read the rest.

I tried to use capsaicin on my scalp after my BC years ago. I don't know if I got the idea from a website at the time, but probably so. Anyway, I don't know if I used too much or what....but that thing burned my scalp something serious! It was worse than a relaxer. I was crying and my hair was on fire.

I washed it out and it was still burning all night and well into the next morning.

after that I did not revisit to try less.

HeChangedMyName

I definitely would try that. If I had some of my own I'd just use that instead.

I have a jar of about 4 ounces castor oil, so I added about 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper. So far, my scalp just itches. I've done it twice this week. I think that's a safe ratio, and you're welcome!

Well, I tried the Capzasin on my scalp. I only let it marinate on there for about 15 to 20 minutes. It didn't burn though so I may leave it on next time.

Yeah, I remember reading about it in some old threads. I've always wanted to try it but never got around to it. But I think it may work because when I had peppermint oil in my regular regimen my hair thrived. Stimulating that scalp makes all the difference. I'll report back in a few weeks.

Mmmm, this seems like something I've seen online before. How do you like it?

I washed my hair after the Capzasin with my Cabellina shampoo and conditioner. I made it a point to really scrub my scalp vigorously, yet gently. It actually felt clean and refreshed. It didn't burn or anything either.

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, still on page one but I wanted to reply just in case no one has answered your question yet. Then I'll go back and read the rest.

I tried to use capsaicin on my scalp after my BC years ago. I don't know if I got the idea from a website at the time, but probably so. Anyway, I don't know if I used too much or what....but that thing burned my scalp something serious! It was worse than a relaxer. I was crying and my hair was on fire.

I washed it out and it was still burning all night and well into the next morning.

after that I did not revisit to try less.

The capzasin didn't burn me at all. I was expecting it to though. I even rubbed it in really good after applying it.

Hopefully I can do this routine twice a week and apply the capzacin another two times during the week and leave it on.

Eritreladiee

I can't believe I'm contemplating this right now.... I'm gonna oil my scalp tonight and leave it overnight (I'd shower, but I'm just 2 exhausted at this point....)

Do you guys think using ayurvedic oils like shikakai or mahabhringraj oil would be ok to mix cayenne with (esp. to leave overnight?) Or should I just stick to olive oil or coconut? I really wanna use the indian oils, cuz they'll relax my head. Any opinions?

757diva

I'm realllly thinking about doing this. Can you get liquid cayenne pepper out of the grocery store? I might have to put this on mi list for when I go shopping on Friday :( But if it burns mi head like that WGO lite. Then I'mma cry.

mariofmagdal

I'm realllly thinking about doing this. Can you get liquid cayenne pepper out of the grocery store? I might have to put this on mi list for when I go shopping on Friday :( But if it burns mi head like that WGO lite. Then I'mma cry.

WGO lite burns? What's in it? I am not familiar with it, I have only heard others speak of it.

HeChangedMyName

I just want to say thank you so much for this challenge. My hair had been shedding like a dog. That is, until last night when i used the capzasin, and pepper and rosemary shampoo and condish.

I can actually run my hand through my hair today and NOT ONE SINGLE HAIR COMES OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eritreladiee

Alright, I did this last night and I'm in for the challenge. I'm gonna mix the cayenne with Indian oils, coconut or olive oil. I'm only gonna commit to a month (for now,) cuz I'm planning to do this everyday.

Are you guys mixing and applying right away or are you making batches and leaving them to sit for several days before use??? I mixed and used right away last night, and it was tingling my scalp - not burning like I've heard other people complain about. Even when I washed out, even now- almost 6 hours after washing, it still tingles- not burns. Should I be using more cayenne since I'm not leaving it to sit for several days before use (because I know that's what makes it spicier) What do you guys think?

Oh and also, when I get home tonight, I'll post some starting pictures :grin:

varaneka

Alright, I did this last night and I'm in for the challenge. I'm gonna mix the cayenne with Indian oils, coconut or olive oil. I'm only gonna commit to a month (for now,) cuz I'm planning to do this everyday.

Are you guys mixing and applying right away or are you making batches and leaving them to sit for several days before use???

Whenever I make a new batch, I use some right away, but I try to make a big enough one that it'll last several uses.

I wish I knew about Ayurveda. I'm assuming that those types of oils are for the most part mild enough to use with cayenne, but I don't know for sure.

I think I remember someone saying neem oil is strong (there was a thread about using it on the face I think).

I'm realllly thinking about doing this. Can you get liquid cayenne pepper out of the grocery store? I might have to put this on mi list for when I go shopping on Friday But if it burns mi head like that WGO lite. Then I'mma cry.

I haven't seen any but I never looked before. Some hot sauces are made with cayenne (it's the first ingredient in Frank's Red Hot Sauce). If the ingredients are simple, I'd use that. Or you can make your own with water or oil.

Cayenne Tincture is another option.

Last edited:

tallnomad

I'm glad HeChangedMyName posted the shampoo she used, because I thought I had seen something similar at my grocery store. So I went and bought a shampoo and conditioner called "Peppar."

I do have some cayenne pepper marinating in olive oil right now and plan to wash my hair tomorrow.

Do you all think that this is too much stimulation? I don't want my head to be on fire.

Attachments

• peppar_shampoo.jpg
    peppar_shampoo.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 8
  • peppar_conditioner.jpg
    peppar_conditioner.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 11

HeChangedMyName

I'm glad HeChangedMyName posted the shampoo she used, because I thought I had seen something similar at my grocery store. So I went and bought a shampoo and conditioner called "Peppar."

I do have some cayenne pepper marinating in olive oil right now and plan to wash my hair tomorrow.

Do you all think that this is too much stimulation? I don't want my head to be on fire.

I guess it would depend upon your scalp sensitivity. mine didn't burn or anything(maybe I need to use more lol) If you get the Peppar, let us know how it leaves your hair. I'm game for trying new stuff that has proven results. Mine actually smells like peppers. does the peppar?

varaneka

I've been doing this every other day so I'm going to do it again for 30 minutes and massage it in for most of that time too

I already see more curls popping up in the back

it's starting to get fluffy yay

Last edited:

SailorWifey

I cowashed my hair then put my oil on my scalp and my hubby massaged my scalp for 20 min. I wrapped my hair and will rinse in the morning

Eritreladiee

This is really not working for me. I've been mixing 1 tablespoon oil to 1 teaspoon cayenne, which gives me a pretty good tingle, but the problem is I can't seem to wash this crap fully outta my hair. I've done this 3 days now- I rinse, shampoo, conditon, even comb with a fine tooth comb in the shower (which seems to help alot,) but regardless i still have orange looking dandruff floating around in my hair.

I know I can strain the cayenne out, but that means I would have to let it sit for 2 weeks in order for the spiciness to release into the oil. I don't wanna wait that long!

Do you guys know if boiling the oil and cayenne will release the spiciness into the oil? What are you guys doing to get the cayenne outta your hair (without having to spend an hour in the shower- cuz my hot water tank runs out)

tallnomad

I guess it would depend upon your scalp sensitivity. mine didn't burn or anything(maybe I need to use more lol) If you get the Peppar, let us know how it leaves your hair. I'm game for trying new stuff that has proven results. Mine actually smells like peppers. does the peppar?

I kept the the olive oil/cayenne mix in all day and last night, washed my hair and conditioned it with the Peppar products. The shampoo REALLY tingled and my scalp felt really open and clean. I did get some of the shampoo in my eyes and it burned quite a bit.

Mine has a very slight pepper smell, but not much at all.

My hair was a bit dry though. The shampoo has placenta protein in it, and my hair is a bit protein sensitive.

bluwatersoul

oh geez, please add me. All of a sudden my temples are trying to disappear and I can't have any of that, it is very dismaying.

757diva

I need to stay out these threads because I bought some cayenne pepper today :( I'mma try it but on mi own lol Once I finish taking out these braids I'll post mi results :(

sonia1965

I've been back and forth reading this thread, and have decided to take the plunge! Can I join this challenge? I'm on the napes and edges challenge and I really do need some help there! I should be able to post starting photos on Monday. If any growth does appear I will easily tell. I propose to use the cayenne and vodka method. While that's infusing I may try Freds Red Hot pepper sauce - ingredients are cayenne pepper 35%, vinegar, water, salt, and garlic powder. I aim to do regular updates.

varaneka

I've been back and forth reading this thread, and have decided to take the plunge! Can I join this challenge? I'm on the napes and edges challenge and I really do need some help there! I should be able to post starting photos on Monday. If any growth does appear I will easily tell. I propose to use the cayenne and vodka method. While that's infusing I may try Freds Red Hot pepper sauce - ingredients are cayenne pepper 35%, vinegar, water, salt, and garlic powder. I aim to do regular updates.

that's great! I am adding you now

This is really not working for me. I've been mixing 1 tablespoon oil to 1 teaspoon cayenne, which gives me a pretty good tingle, but the problem is I can't seem to wash this crap fully outta my hair. I've done this 3 days now- I rinse, shampoo, conditon, even comb with a fine tooth comb in the shower (which seems to help alot,) but regardless i still have orange looking dandruff floating around in my hair.

I know I can strain the cayenne out, but that means I would have to let it sit for 2 weeks in order for the spiciness to release into the oil. I don't wanna wait that long!

Do you guys know if boiling the oil and cayenne will release the spiciness into the oil? What are you guys doing to get the cayenne outta your hair (without having to spend an hour in the shower- cuz my hot water tank runs out)

I'm sorry it's been hard to remove! I always massage my scalp when shampooing and conditioning, whether it be with my fingertips/nails or Goody Styling Therapy Jojoba Paddle Brush (its rubber tips make it easier to use than my massager brush from Sally's).

If you're using cayenne peppers from the produce section, simply boil them in water. Add oil after you strain the juice from the boiled peppers.

I think if you use the ground pepper, straining with a cheese cloth would prevent any "grains" from getting in your paste. http://www.ehow.com/how_5157998_make-cayenne-tincture.html

Last edited:

Minty

I think I am going to look for the Peppar Shampoo/conditioner. I think I will have to wash my pepper head in the sink next time and NOT in the shower. ooooh baby it burns. I washed my face 3 times to make sure it wasn't still in my eyes.

ladysaraii

I'm going to give this a try. I'm going to do a oil/pepper prepoo and see how this works. I'll report back

SherGrowingHair

I used the cayenne twice this week for the first time since November. I didn't feel anything the first time. The second time it was a little warm but no real heat. but hours after I washed the second time my scalp started itching like mad, a sign that my hair is growing. I used some miconzaole yesterday and it calmed the itching. I usually mix the miconazole with the cayenne, perhaps that is why I have never felt the itching before. My hair feels great and the ends look happy!!!

sonia1965

Ladies, these are my starting pics...as you can see I need all the help I can get!!

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 20

varaneka

Hey Sonia, thanks for posting starter pics!

I suggest adding oil to your mix so that it doesn't run in your eyes, unless you're not having that problem

sonia1965

Hey Sonia, thanks for posting starter pics!

I suggest adding oil to your mix so that it doesn't run in your eyes, unless you're not having that problem

Thanks creolesugarface! I've not started either one yet, but I think that's a good idea. I can either go for avocado oil, nice and heavy, or castor oil. I'll let y'all know how I get on!

Bnster

I am currently prepoo my hair with ORS Mayo & Alma oil. I forgot I wanted to try the cayenne pepper.