curly perm/Wave Nouveau - experienced people!

sereia

HI! I am (still) thinking about getting a curly perm aka wave nouveau. I have some questions and would appreciate if you could help me with your experiences.

1. Is your hair more prone to tangles than with a relaxer?

2. Does it feel soft and silky or rough and dry?

3. Does the hair smell like ammonia when wet?

4. Are you "dependent" on curl activator or are frequent CO washes o.k.?

5. If you wear braids a lot do the curls stay the same?

6. How long does the process take? What should the stylist do to avoid overlapping?

TIA and happy hair growing to all!

Puddles

On Cloud 9
<font color="brown">Yes...mine tangled when I didn't comb it. </font>

<font color="red">Soft and silky </font>

<font color="red">No </font>

<font color="red"> I used the finishing lotion 3 times a week. I never conditon washed...'cause it's not a relaxer...it takes time for the WN to dry and bring back moisture. </font>

<font color="red">I wouldn't know...I never wore braids. </font>

6. How long does the process take? What should the stylist do to avoid overlapping?
<font color="red">Depends on the sylist. </font>

<font color="red">Hope this helps. I loved my WN....but my stylist moved so no more WN. </font>

sexylonghair

Yes...mine tangled when I didn't comb it.

my hair tangled a lot. i wore a wave nouveau from 1998 until spring of 2004 and it tangles a lot without combing. u don't want to really comb it with a comb ( finger combing is better to keep the curls in) because your curls won't look nice)

Soft and silky

it felt soft yet dry..every morning i had to damp my hair, then apply moisture sealer then finishing lotion. then started using other products for curly hair.

No

it takes a couple days to get the moisture in. usually after a wash when it dries it's extremely frizzy and u have to use the moisture sealer and finishing lotion. my hair was long so i had to use a lot of the products to keep it from drying out. make sure u wash your hair on a day that you are doing NOTHING or it will frizz up.

I wouldn't know...I never wore braids.

for me, i would always be in the salon for like 4 hours cuz i had a lot of hair.

i loved the look of the wave nouveau because my hair looked naturally curly/wavy. it's not wet like a jerri curl. BUT i experienced a lot of dryness, breakage and tangles in the back of my hair. the last wave nouveau i had was 12/03 and let it grow out and just got a hawiian silky relaxer 7/04 even after i said i'd never get a relaxer again. now that i found this site i know how to take care of relaxed hair better and my hair looks fabulous! i basically still use the same wave nouveau products on my relaxed hair and it is so silky looking like naturally straight hair. i wash, deep condition, apply salerm21 then the wave nouveau moisture sealer and finishing lotion. then air dry in a bun. it really looks amazing with the products.

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
i had a wave nouvea when I was in elementary school. I loved it because i could take care of my hair and my mom didn;t have to do it for me. I do not remember having aby tangles or dryness. In fact my hair was probably at its best then. It was thick moist soft and it grew like crazy. I remember my hairstylist would have to cut my hair a lot because it kept growing. Lately I have been contemplating going back

AFashionSlave

My jheri curl did not tangle.

My hair never felt soft or silky. It always felt oily or borderline wet. Not to mention that my shirts always had ring around the collar when I had a wave Nouveau and when I had a jheri curl.

No my hair did not smell like ammonia when it was wet. It did smell funny the first day I got the jheri curl.

Yes you are dependent on curl activator, that is what makes it a jheri curl. You need glycerin-based products to keep the hair moist or it will break off. You can wash your hair whenever you want but just remember that you have to apply a lot of activator to keep your hair moist after shampooing.

I have never worn braids when I had a wave nouveau.

The process always took at least 3 hours from what I remember. Every time you get a jheri curl your hair will be overlapped to some extent. Jheri curls are a double processed hairstyle. First a solution is applied to the hair to straighten it from its natural texture. Then a permanent wave solution is applied to the hair before your hair is rolled. You then sit under the dryer for a while and then the hair is rinsed with the rollers still in. Finally a neutralizer is applied before the rollers are removed.

Are you seriously thinking about a jheri curl?
I know that wave nouveau has done a lot over the past few years to change its “drip drip” image, but it's still just a Jheri Curl. The only difference between normal jheri curls and the wave Nouveau is that wave Nouveau are done using larger sized rollers. The wave Nouveau products are also less greasy than other jheri curl products.

Good luck with your decision.